rushmc

True? Has anybody seen or heard of this?

>They barely qualify as the Nobel committee right now.

A lot of bitter people around here. Maybe tomorrow America will lose big at something; that should cheer you up.

And maybe tomorrow Obama will get a Pulitzer for giving a news conference - that should give you another tingle up your leg.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

It does applyt to the President.

Really? Funny that it's in the Congress section. But I'm sure you're right; I didn't fact-check it.

Check this out. I found the 1993 opinion. It looks good to me.
[Url]http://www.justice.gov/olc/acus.htm[/url]

Also - I've learned the Peace Prize committee is elected by the Norwegian parliament - thus it would be an "instrumentality" of the Norwegian government.

Any issues, sir?

P.s. How have you been, my good man?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

>They barely qualify as the Nobel committee right now.

A lot of bitter people around here. Maybe tomorrow America will lose big at something; that should cheer you up.

Aww... someone made a joke about your humping post...quick, lash out...

--------------------------------------------------
Stay positive and love your life.

our congress-woman, Ginny Brown-Waite sent it out as an email and an 'announcement' from herself and congress. what partisan bullshit....

Nobel committee is not a 'king' or a 'state'. I wish politicians would stop the bullshit and get some fucking work done. And that is just what I told her when I wrote....

our congress-woman, Ginny Brown-Waite sent it out as an email and an 'announcement' from herself and congress. what partisan bullshit....

Nobel committee is not a 'king' or a 'state'. I wish politicians would stop the bullshit and get some fucking work done. And that is just what I told her when I wrote....

See above
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Interesting analysis. While an AG's advisory opinion does not have the same force of law as a court ruling, it does not appear that it was challenged in the courts, so it does appear to be the semi-official last word on the subject. (The AG's office apparently issued a similar advisory opinion in 1902.)

(I do think it remains an open, albeit currently academic, question whether the federal courts, had that question gone to the courts, would have sustained the AG's opinion or the ACUS's position on the question.)

Here's an article by Adam Blickstein that argues that Obama's acceptance of the Prize would be lawful:

http://www.democracyarsenal.org/2009/10/washington-post-declare-gen-schwarzkopf-illegally-knighted.html

And Josh Gerstein has an interesting discussion of the issue here:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/joshgerstein/1009/WH_legal_claim_on_Obama_Nobel_flat_out_wrong.html

Assuming Congress approved the Nobel Peace Prizes previously awarded to sitting Presidents Theodore Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson and Jimmy Carter, I'd think that should establish sufficient precedent for Congress to approve the award for Obama.

Props to you for doing the homework on this. And thanks for making me do my mine.