Darius11

Are you an American or a republican? That is the question.

So this was bipartisan and comes from the already-established bill, it isn't from extra funding. 2.5B from 600B is nothing,but most importantly, it was bipartisan and Obama was against it as was McCain. This is a microcosm of an issue and you have not tied to it Obama or the Dems.

Absolutely correct it is bipartisan... I said it once and I'll say it again, politicians are politicians, I'd put down the pom-poms if I were you.

If the pentagon drafts a budget of $640B, and the house and senate pass a $600B defense bill that mandates $40B must be spent on sharks with freakin' laser beams attached to their heads because lobbyists told them to then both the republicans and democrats have failed us. Can we agree here? Or would you read such a headline and paraphrase it as "democratic-lead house and senate succeed in cutting defense spending by 6.25%."

Political parties are more concerned with themselves and not the state of the country. it used to be that a president's second term was where he would get things done because he didn't have to worry about re-election. Now, the first term is where the president establishes reputation and gets re-elected, and the second term is where the president worries about the party.

somewhere in there the country lost

And with recent Repubs, they are concerned for their cronies with taxes. Tell me how Obama is being self-serving by wantint to raise taxes on teh rich (himself) and by getting HC to all, considering he has never wanted for HC.

you keep bringing up the Obama administration. Defensive? I mentioned political parties in general. As everyone has pretty much agreed, the Obama admin hasn't had much of a chance to do a whole lot. Though you can bet that the party has a say in what happens. Have to maintain the reputation of the party.
--
Rob

I just don’t get the reaction to the Olympics and the Nobel peace prize. We have people cheering when our team fails, and angry when our team wins a prize. I mean how obvious does it have to get? I am not saying he deserved to get the Nobel peace prize but we did win right? Unless you are more loyal to your party then your country it is a cause for celebrating.

Only if you value the winning over everything else. Some people think that winning something without deserving it isn't worth anything.

Who deserves to win is decided by the committee. Their prize, their decision.

blah blah blah... you've already established that your opinion is meaningless

With respect to who won the prize, both of our opinions are meaningless. You, however, seem unable to recognize that yours is.

Do you also second guess Supreme Court decisions and baseball umpires' calls?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

when I don't agree with them you bet your ass I do. I don't expect that my bitching and moaning will make a difference about either though. Neither is something voted upon.

My question has been pretty consistent. I wonder what he did to deserve the nomination in the first week and change of his presidency. Now that I've seen the rationale behind the comittee's decision, I understand why they did it. I think that awarding the prize based on what someone might do cheapens the name and value of the award, but I understand their thought process.

.... and I know that my opinion means crap-all to the comittee. You don't hear about me calling them to correct them do you? No, because really I don't care. Certainly not now that the Nobel prize is being awarded based on potential. Especially not when it was likely awarded to try to influence policy decisions. (my opinion that means crap-all again)
--
Rob

Do you also second guess Supreme Court decisions

We sure do here

baseball umpires' calls?

Nope, those belong in Bonfire :D

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I just don’t get the reaction to the Olympics and the Nobel peace prize.

I mean how obvious does it have to get? I am not saying he deserved to get the Nobel peace prize but we did win right? Unless you are more loyal to your party then your country it is a cause for celebrating.

So the question is do you support America, or your party? Who comes first in your book?

You are showing blind partisan politics here.

Olympics... Didn't care. I actually think that Brazil should have gotten since they had never had one before. Also, while some think it would have been an economic boom.... It has been shown to not really bring in as much as you have to spend. Still, it would have been a way to build the Chicago economy in a way that was not a total waste.

Nobel... Really????? He was nominated TWO weeks after he took office and based on what he *might* do.

You don't give a Nobel Prize in Physics for what you *might* do. You don't give the Nobel prize for literature for what you *might* write.

There were so many other people that deserved it for what THEY HAVE DONE.

To give it away before he did anything is nothing but pandering.

I agreed with Carter winning it.... He DID SOMETHING.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I just don’t get the reaction to the Olympics and the Nobel peace prize. We have people cheering when our team fails, and angry when our team wins a prize. I mean how obvious does it have to get? I am not saying he deserved to get the Nobel peace prize but we did win right? Unless you are more loyal to your party then your country it is a cause for celebrating.

So the question is do you support America, or your party? Who comes first in your book?

When I see our Own President stop "apolgizing" for our country, and Failing at everything he has attempted to do..Then Maybe I will be excited ....

Republicans support the "Country" much more than the average Liberal. that just wants to follow the sheep!

Gawd, and to think, back when I was Young, (And dumb) I used to call myself a liberal...I'd be ashamed to say such a thing now!

Our 'engineers' (handy-men) have starting salaries of just under $40 per hour, not including overtime or graveyard. Same price for the touch-up painters. Our bussers ear $18 per hour plus tip-outs, dishwaers are $20 per hour. We had waste management strikes a couple years back- the trashmen earn salaries in the 75-85K range PLUS benefits. The BART train operators earn 63-75K annually + benefits. The best part? THEY ALL THINK THEY ARE UNDERPAID.

The average manager at my property (1900+ guestrooms, we do over 120 million annually on average) makes between 45-55K... Welcome to the way the world works now. Dock workers get paid six figures now, and we wonder why we can't compete with the global market, the rest of the world ISN'T insane like our workforce.

end rant

Brett
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

Our 'engineers' (handy-men) have starting salaries of just under $40 per hour, not including overtime or graveyard. Same price for the touch-up painters. Our bussers ear $18 per hour plus tip-outs, dishwaers are $20 per hour. We had waste management strikes a couple years back- the trashmen earn salaries in the 75-85K range PLUS benefits. The BART train operators earn 63-75K annually + benefits. The best part? THEY ALL THINK THEY ARE UNDERPAID.

The average manager at my property (1900+ guestrooms, we do over 120 million annually on average) makes between 45-55K... Welcome to the way the world works now. Dock workers get paid six figures now, and we wonder why we can't compete with the global market, the rest of the world ISN'T insane like our workforce.

end rant

Brett

Why are you underpaying your managers?;)

I want to see Obama fail with 1) his version of health care reform, 2) cap and tax, 3) union card check, 4) tax increases, and many other of his policies that harm the country. I love the country...so yes, I want Obama to fail in many of his policies.

Agreed. I am very surprised at the large number of people who rejoice at America's failures and mourn our successes - based purely on their desire to see America's president fail. It almost sounds like their hatred for the president is much stronger than their love for their country.

when I don't agree with them you bet your ass I do. I don't expect that my bitching and moaning will make a difference about either though. Neither is something voted upon.

My question has been pretty consistent. I wonder what he did to deserve the nomination in the first week and change of his presidency. Now that I've seen the rationale behind the comittee's decision, I understand why they did it. I think that awarding the prize based on what someone might do cheapens the name and value of the award, but I understand their thought process.

.... and I know that my opinion means crap-all to the comittee. You don't hear about me calling them to correct them do you? No, because really I don't care. Certainly not now that the Nobel prize is being awarded based on potential. Especially not when it was likely awarded to try to influence policy decisions. (my opinion that means crap-all again)

Good job we'll soon have universal health care, you're going to need those blood pressure meds.

side note: not all career fields have 40hour work weeks. salaried employees or sub-contractors don't get paid overtime. not all occupations have the ability to unionize. People still get hurt and to to the ER or have babies on holidays....

Most do, generally management does not, but even they can. What the original author of that statement was talking about is FDR's FLSA of 1938. Then your boy went and limited it with the Overtime Law he shoved thru congress, took him over 3 years to get it thru. It was entitled the Overtime Law, it was aimed at primarily RN's, but I think it was Walmart who took it to teh limit and tried to compel regular workers to fall under it. Who can't unionize? Are you confusing that for can't strike?

Not that those aren't "good ideas" - and there have been good ideas from BOTH sides.

So to discuss that let me bring up some of my stepfathers, John L. Merkt submitted bills (NOT saying that I agree with his bills; prior to his death, he and I would civilly discuss those issues)

- Seatbelt laws and motorcycle Helmet use in Wisconsin
- Increased the drinking age in Wisconsin
- Len Bias Law

Yes, you could argue that those were passed with bi-partisian efforts - but those were HIS "babies" that he pushed. And he was a Republican.

Not sure how that pertains to the issue.

Absolutely correct it is bipartisan... I said it once and I'll say it again, politicians are politicians, I'd put down the pom-poms if I were you.

The original question was something like how the Dems have fucked us, wasn't it? You still haven't established that with your microcosm of an argument. Of all military toys transport acft are the least of our worries, not to mention Obama urged against it. Again, show us how teh Dems have fucked us.

If the pentagon drafts a budget of $640B, and the house and senate pass a $600B defense bill that mandates $40B must be spent on sharks with freakin' laser beams attached to their heads because lobbyists told them to then both the republicans and democrats have failed us. Can we agree here?

It depends upon who voted for it. For example NAFTA was initiated by GHWB, then the Dem controlled congress passed it with overwhelming Repub support, even tho they were a minority. That was more Repub than Dem. Then Clinton signed it. That was an issue that was more systemeic, but it had more Repub support.

Again, you're looking for a microcosm of an argument to make a major point. Let's talk debt and other longterm major issues.

Or would you read such a headline and paraphrase it as "democratic-lead house and senate succeed in cutting defense spending by 6.25%."

I would rather look at the budget, the issues, the intent and the result as a whole rather than a microcosm. I can take any fragment and make a point that might not be representative of the truth.

you keep bringing up the Obama administration. Defensive?

Proud and optimistic. BTW, this is a political thread, the president might come up on occassion.

As everyone has pretty much agreed, the Obama admin hasn't had much of a chance to do a whole lot. Though you can bet that the party has a say in what happens. Have to maintain the reputation of the party.

Yet he has. The first quarter of 09 the GDP was -6.4, the 2nd it jumped to -1.0, a really great improvement.

end rant

Brett

Is that state or what? What is the employer? I find it hard to believe, is there a website?

>Republicans support the "Country" much more than the average Liberal.

Apparently only when "their guy" is in charge. When he's not, they cheer when the US loses the Olympic games. Conservatives have expressed hopes for terrorist attacks, and described with glee the prospects of a military coup here in the US.

What would you call someone who hopes for attacks against America, or talks about the violent overthrow of our government? Is that the new conservative definition of "patriot?"

Republicans support the "Country" much more than the average Liberal. that just wants to follow the sheep!

And the Dems led teh way in teh 20th century for 4 of teh 5 wars, inclu WWII; are they unpatriotic?

Gawd, and to think, back when I was Young, (And dumb) I used to call myself a liberal...I'd be ashamed to say such a thing now!

To say you were young and dumb?

I cant say I cheered when Chicago Lost the Olympic bid.. But I did think the Olympic Committee made a good choice. It was the right choice and it had absolutely NOTHING to do with Obama.

Seriously.. Ever been to Chicago??? The weather sucks, the people are Rude, the politicians are corrupt and the Unions are ridiculous there. Just try getting anything built there. It is insane between dealing with the local politicians and then you have to deal with the unions.

Vs Brazil?? They desperately need the income, The people are beautiful, Vibrant and full of life. The politicians are just as corrupt there but it will make MUCH better viewing for the world.

It wasn't Politics, It was a rational decision. And THAT should always be cheered.

What would you call someone who hopes for attacks against America, or talks about the violent overthrow of our government? Is that the new conservative definition of "patriot?"

Nut Jobs are rampant on both sides of the spectrum.

>Seriously.. Ever been to Chicago?

Yes. Have you ever been to Atlanta?

>It wasn't Politics, It was a rational decision. And THAT should always
>be cheered.

I can think of a lot of rational decisions that you wouldn't cheer. I am sure you can think of some yourself.

>Nut Jobs are rampant on both sides of the spectrum.

Agreed. And right now, the ones on the right are so full of anger and hate that it's boiling out into vitriol, deceit and violence. The left probably has just as many, but they have less to be angry about.

All Politics aside,

The Olympics..
Good decision. The Better/more qualified candidate was chosen.

The Nobel Prize,
Bad Choice. The Better/more qualified candidate was not chosen.

Why does saying that equate to anything other than a rational opinion?

Edit:

the ones on the right are so full of anger and hate that it's boiling out into vitriol, deceit and violence.

The anger comes from fear Because it is their beliefs and core principals that they feel are being threatened.

And the deceit also runs rampant on both sides. Every day there are talking points and spin spewed from both side and people have chosen teams and blindly follow their side. (And yes, I find this very very sad)

Not that those aren't "good ideas" - and there have been good ideas from BOTH sides.

So to discuss that let me bring up some of my stepfathers, John L. Merkt submitted bills (NOT saying that I agree with his bills; prior to his death, he and I would civilly discuss those issues)

- Seatbelt laws and motorcycle Helmet use in Wisconsin
- Increased the drinking age in Wisconsin
- Len Bias Law

Yes, you could argue that those were passed with bi-partisian efforts - but those were HIS "babies" that he pushed. And he was a Republican.

Not sure how that pertains to the issue.

Sorry that was actually a response to funjumpers's comments

NO POSTITIVE[sic] CHANGE HAS EVER HAPPENED DUE TO CONSERVATIVE PHILOSOPHY.

>Why does saying that equate to anything other than a rational opinion?

?? It doesn't. You said you should always cheer a rational decision. Someday it may be rational for the world to boycott the US; it may even be seem like a good idea for the next superpower to start a nuclear war with us that they feel they can win.

I suspect you won't cheer those things. Even if, for most of the world, they may be the rational thing to do.

>The anger comes from fear Because it is their beliefs and core principals
>that they feel are being threatened.

Yes. And others prey on that fear to incite the sort of anger and violence that helps their cause.

Recently an anti-Obama conservative went on a shooting spree because he thought Obama would "grab his guns." I wonder if the people spreading that sort of fear and anger cheered; it was certainly a success story for them.