JohnRich

Amtrak train passengers: Guns in checked luggage?

I just think it's adorable of you to trot out some trophy of yours with an illustration that proves my point.

All it proves is you have no idea what you are talking about.

I won the MACHINE GUN shooting competition, without a belt fed weapon.

Is that a machine gun pistol? No? Didn't think so.

I didn't use a belt fed to win either. The ATF does not agree with your definition either.

Bet hey!!! Don't let facts keep you from thinking you know more than everyone else.

You just can't accept that you are not an expert on everything can you?

It's always Ron's winter of discontent.

And you bring lame insults???? Mods should know better than that.

Still waiting on your answers BTW:

Now answer these questions if you will:

How many MG do you own?
How many MG were you issued?
How many MG matches have you been to?
How many medals at MG matches have you won?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

As per my calendar, winter 2009 still is to come ... Or did I miss something?

You clearly missed something.

What do you call January? Spring?

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/645543/winter

Meteorological winter is the season having the shortest days and the lowest average temperatures. This corresponds to the months of December, January and February

In the Northern Hemisphere, depending on the year, this corresponds to the period between December 20 and 21 and March 20 or 21

January is between those dates right?

So yeah... You missed something... Like a basic understanding of the seasons.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

The winter of 2009 is the one that'll start this year (2009) and end next year. At least for me and the fashion season

While that may be what you call it.... That does not make it true.

Did you call Dec. 2008 "the winter of 2009"?

Nope because it was 2008

Pettyfoggery

Don't blame me for your inability to understand seasons.

When did I say a machine gun was only a belt fed weapon?

A machine gun is a sub-set of fully automatic weapons.

Face it... you are unable to admit you are wrong.

Between you claiming to know more than you really know, and your personal insults... I find this boring, and annoying.

Still waiting on these answer BTW:

How many MG do you own?

Answer them, or don't expect a reply.

Please try to avoid more lame personal attacks.

Please show me the "lame personal attacks" I've made.

Check that very post hero.
"Ron, you're simply hysterical."

"It's always Ron's winter of discontent"

"I don't like to think anyone is dumb nor do I assume anyone is until proven otherwise.
Sadly, some people I know prove it on an almost daily basis. "

Play the ball, not the player. I expect better from *mods*.

If that were anyone else but you, BillVon would already be all over them.

Making lame insults is just another way of saying you are out of logical debate and you have to resort to childish antics.

Now answer these questions if you will:

How many MG do you own?

I am going to bet your answers to all of the above will be ZERO... Yet you claim to know terminology?

In this case you are like the whuffo claiming to know more about skydiving than a guy with thousands of jumps.

Yup, like all those skygods with fancy ratings who gladly tell everybody to just look out and if the group before you is at 45 degrees, it is safe to jump.

A CRIMINAL is not going to not kill someone due to a law saying he can't use that tool to do it. If he is willing to murder someone, he is not going to care that the tool is illegal.

That is simple logic.

So why regulate large purchases of fertilizer? If a criminal wants to blow something up, he is not going to care what tool he uses?

Why ban the ownership of chemical weapons?

Why ban flying small planes near the White House? If a criminal wants to fly a plane into a building, he is going to do it. This just punishes the law abiding citizen who wants to take a close look.

There are a multitude of other examples. Why are those not wrong?

Yup, like all those skygods with fancy ratings who gladly tell everybody to just look out and if the group before you is at 45 degrees, it is safe to jump.

Except that is not happening here... If you knew what you were talking about, you would understand that.

What we have is some 100 jump wonder supporting another 100 jump wonder claiming to know more about skydiving than an AFF instructor.

So why regulate large purchases of fertilizer?

BIG difference between a regulation and a BAN.

Why ban the ownership of chemical weapons?

Even though you are just being silly... Chemical weapons are not covered under the 2nd. But, some Chemical weapons are perfectly legal... think rat poison.

Why ban flying small planes near the White House?

Great question... why ban it?

You are just being silly to be silly. It's because you don't have a logical bone to stand on.

Simple fact is there are plenty of rules and laws already in place to prevent criminals from having guns.... And criminals don't pay any attention to them. The UK, which has sweeping bans on guns of all kinds, experienced 9974 gun related homicides in 2002 alone... that just goes to show criminals are not going to stop using weapons due to a ban.

I guess we better ban parachutes since someone will use them to base jump:S

What we have is some 100 jump wonder supporting another 100 jump wonder claiming to know more about skydiving than an AFF instructor.

Ron, I've stayed quiet on this topic for about 48 hours so I could think about it and in that time I thought about it a lot.

Your ability to hold a pop gun and take home a shiny plaque probably does not give you any insight over the world and public policy any more than a gold medal from Nationals would give you insight to aviation laws in general with regards to flying over the Grand Canyon.

Your and my disagreement over what is a subset of what has absolutely no bearing on this thread or public policy.

Virtually everyone on this forum is entitled to their opinion and I'm not going to be shouted down by your insistence on anything, let alone some pedantic notion of yours as some sort of litmus test for qualifications to have an opinion in the first place.

Now, if you'd like to address the topic at hand, fine. Have at it.

If you'd like to go back to the original complaint you had with a piece of sentence construction of mine, well, you can take that and howl at the moon for all I care. It's irrelevant.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Is there any reason why Amtrak passengers shouldn't enjoy the same exercise of 2nd Amendment rights as passengers on other trains, or passengers on airlines?

As long as they follow the exact same procedures as the airlines and there is no possible way for a passenger to have access to the weapons; no I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Rest easy .... if they really wanted to kill everyone on the train ... all they need is BOX CUTTERS or have we all forgotten that in our zeal to HATE guns !

Remember ... my gun's have killed less people then Ted Kennedy's car !

What you really SHOULD be concerned about is the ENGINEER being (1) asleep (2) texting (3) Under the influence ... that's not to say that the state of our bridges and tunnels that those trains use should concern you either !
99% of the people on this earth are sheep ... dare to be different

Your ability to hold a pop gun and take home a shiny plaque probably does not give you any insight over the world and public policy any more than a gold medal from Nationals would give you insight to aviation laws in general with regards to flying over the Grand Canyon.

But my ability to "hold a pop gun" and "win a shiny plaque" does give me MUCH more insight about firearms and firearm issues than a guy that has not... And last I checked this was a discussion about firearms and firearm issues.

Virtually everyone on this forum is entitled to their opinion and I'm not going to be shouted down by your insistence on anything, let alone some pedantic notion of yours as some sort of litmus test for qualifications to have an opinion in the first place.

Everyone is allowed their own opinion... you are tying to have your own FACTS.

This is a case of a guy that's never been in a plane trying to tell a 20 year 747 Captain how to do an instrument approach.

Your insistence that a person with no experience or real knowledge of a subject is qualified to make policy would be the same as you supporting a whuffo making rules about freeflying.

You would not want a person with zero knowledge of a subject to write aviation laws or skydiving rules.... Yet you seem to think that you are qualified on gun issues?

My only mistake was to think you would ever admit you don't know something as well as someone else and to think that your ignorance of the subject would lead you to listen more than you talk.

This would be like me debating shooting freefall video with you and claiming your experience means nothing. :S

As for the subject at hand.... I see no issue with allowing guns in CHECKED baggage. I mean, hell it is allowed on airlines why not trains?

For that matter, I would have no issue with a guy with a CHL/CWP to CARRY on a train. Unless there is screening as good as they have at airlines, why would you want to prevent legal citizens that have been through a background check from being armed, but not do anything to prevent a nutjob?

Makes no sense.....

But feel free to empower the whuffo to make freefly rules....

OK. But it would make a lot more sense to just ban them on the top of the Sears Tower, or other places where it's a problem.

Or, you could just punish the people that actually break the law as opposed to punishing EVERYONE.

>Your insistence that a person with no experience or real knowledge of
>a subject is qualified to make policy would be the same as you
>supporting a whuffo making rules about freeflying.

Dan BC has a lot more experience skydiving than you do. He thinks the 45 degree rule works. Does that mean he's right?