turtlespeed

If a person believes in evolution . . .

Genesis has two creation stories. One where God just goes right ahead and makes humans males & females together, and the other story has the rib thing.

I once had a Bible that had a commentary at the beginning by a Catholic theologian(can't remember his name) that said:

"The Scripture does indeed supply legitimate conclusions on religious matters. But those conclusions are not reached easily and are seldom found in one pointed quote. And as for answers to scientific questions, the Bible is not really the place to look for them. The science of the Bible writers was primitive, and it is doubtful God thought to accelerate human knowledge in this field by infusing scientific facts into the mind of the sacred authors. People cannot make of Scripture a weapon to use superficially against all those with whom they wish to disagree ."

The Bible ain't a science textbook, folks.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

but....but....

if those wacky fundamentalists act like it is, we get all sorts of amusing little theories floated like facts

and

if those wacky anti-religious types pretend that EVERY single religious person will treat it like a science book - then we can get all sorts of amusing little kneejerk tirades

don't be such a wet blanket on my fun

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

. . . is it acceptable to agree with thier core beliefs regarding their descension, and refer to their ancestors as monkeys and gorillas?

If not, then WHY not . . . after all, by doing so, you are confirming their beliefs, are you not?

This topic seems to expose ignorance more than any other that's discussed in this forum.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

. . . is it acceptable to agree with thier core beliefs regarding their descension, and refer to their ancestors as monkeys and gorillas?

Getting back on topic.

Actually... I kinda respect those that have more of a "family" belief with other creatures. Similar to several American Indian / Native American thoughts with respect to "Brother Bear" or "Grandfather Turtle" or reincarnation beliefs that feel that the fly might be a version of your great-grandmother. I think that it shows more "compassion" to animals than a religion that acts as if we are superior and that they are put here for our purposes.

And... since I do "believe" in evolution (meaning I have studied and find genetics and mutations to be very "real"), I wouldn't really be too insulted by someone referring to my ancestors as "monkeys or gorillas." As noted above, it wouldn't be technically "correct". . . but I wouldn't be insulted.

-Now... if you start talking bad about my GGGGGGGGreat Grandmother that was hanged as a "witch" on Gallow Hill in Salem, now that's some fightin words. >:(>:(B|

People that THINK they are Christians, but are not, believe those things.

Who died and made you God? Have you been ordained with the authority to label people as Christians and non-Christians?

I have two rubber stamps to label people that way. I keep them in a bag and pick one out randomly for each person I meet.

Usually they don't even say thank you - they just go off and wash their foreheads instead and mumble angrily.

A man came up to me and said, "I'd like to change your mind..." "...by hitting it with a rock," he said, "though I am not unkind."

but....but....

if those wacky fundamentalists act like it is, we get all sorts of amusing little theories floated like facts

and

if those wacky anti-religious types pretend that EVERY single religious person will treat it like a science book - then we can get all sorts of amusing little kneejerk tirades

don't be such a wet blanket on my fun

Best post in the thread! Sums it all up really. :D
Speed Racer

As I am now, no.

All I have is His word.

How about the part where it says thw sun stood still in the sky? As long as Moses (or maybe Joshua) held his hands up to God, the sun stood still and the Isrealites had the advantage in the battle. For that to happen, the Earth would have had to stop turning on its axis. At the latitude of the battle, the liniar velocity of the surface might have been around 7 or 8 hundred miles an hour. Is that how the Israelites won? They all clung to trees and big rocks in the ground and when the Earth stoped turning the Philistines kept going? Now that's the way to have God on your side.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Same as for the people who believe in the Bible - should we agree with their core beliefs, and refer to their ancestors as dirt (for a man) and male rib (for a woman)?

Actually you can go farther back and just call us the Will of God.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Actually you can go farther back and just call us the Will of God.

Which is, of course, the appropriate thing to say in the first place. As it is a totally untestable proposition, it lies entirely within the realm of faith, which is the proper place for religious statements. Everyone can choose for themselves to believe it or not. It is when religion conflicts with science, the realm of actual observation, measurement, and experiment, that religion comes off looking silly, because it then requires us to deny what we can actually observe as "false", and substitute a fairy world that is unobservable and capricious. The evidence for evolution is overwhelming, but evolution is just a process. The process says nothing, one way or the other, about "God". There aren't any obvious "God fingerprints" in the working of the process, but there is no evidence that there isn't a "God" (albeit a wasteful, cruel, and very patient one) either. There are certainly many more people who believe in "theistic evolution" (evolution guided in some way by a "God") than there are people who hold the atheistic view. Of course, reality is not determined by the point of view that holds the most adherents.

Don

Of course, the simpler explanations is ...... that the story is BOLLOCKS.... But what do I know?

You just evolved to think that way.

Is it a part of the original program ... or do I have a bug?

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Of course, the simpler explanations is ...... that the story is BOLLOCKS.... But what do I know?

You just evolved to think that way.

Is it a part of the original program ... or do I have a bug?

Identifying patterns is a survival trait. You correctly identified "BOLLOCKS".

Failure to identify patterns where they exist leads to being eaten by predators.

Identifying patterns where there are none is mostly harmless. "God" is such a non-existent pattern, and believing is mostly harmless.

Identifying patterns where there are none is mostly harmless. "God" is such a non-existent pattern, and believing is mostly harmless.

No. The Earth is "mostly harmless" - I read it in a book once. (Nice book - I liked the words "DON'T PANIC" inscribed in large friendly letters on its cover)

Actually you can go farther back and just call us the Will of God.:)

Looking on some hardcore Christians I'd rather say God's failure.

Bitter much?:S
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

No. The Earth is "mostly harmless" - I read it in a book once. (Nice book - I liked the words "DON'T PANIC" inscribed in large friendly letters on its cover)

Was that the one where the main character was a towel?

Getting back on topic.

Getting really back on topic, this entire thread was a poor atttempt to justify some redneck twat's use of a common racist slur (blacks=monkeys) against the current first lady. Which has surprisingly passed without comment among the wider discussion.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Getting back on topic.

Getting really back on topic, this entire thread was a poor atttempt to justify some redneck twat's use of a common racist slur (blacks=monkeys) against the current first lady. Which has surprisingly passed without comment among the wider discussion.

Awwe - I thought it somewhat clever, even Billvon was caught up in it.:D:D:D

Getting back on topic.

Considering you're the one who tries and claim the higher moral ground on other threads, this post reeks of a disgusting mix of bigotry and hypocrisy.

Nice character.
Remster

Getting back on topic.

Considering you're the one who tries and claim the higher moral ground on other threads, this post reeks of a disgusting mix of bigotry and hypocrisy.

Nice character.

You missed "ignorance".

Getting back on topic.

Getting really back on topic, this entire thread was a poor attempt to justify some redneck twat's use of a common racist slur (blacks=monkeys) against the current first lady. Which has surprisingly passed without comment among the wider discussion.

OK.

I'll admit being to being ignorant and didn't even get to whom the comment was referring. (Was it mentioned in some other thread or something in the news? Or is it just "common knowledge"?)

I didn't see racism in it at all, and if someone called my ancestors monkeys, I still wouldn't be offended.

Is it offensive if it's meant as a racial slur? Yes. But then again, so is "democrats" or "neighbors" or other "benign" comments that I've heard that I still don't think are right.

I also missed any racist reference. whoosh!Except the human race.:P

-------------

Identifying patterns is a survival trait. You correctly identified "BOLLOCKS".

Failure to identify patterns where they exist leads to being eaten by predators.

So, "BOLLOCKS" are predators?

And did the person kallend replied to, correctly identify them & thus avoid being eaten by giant, predatory bollocks??

There seems to be a lot of bollocks in Speakers Corner. Should we all be afraid?
Speed Racer

If a person believes in evolution . . .

Evolution is not a "belief" any more than the non-flatness of the Earth is. In any context, including this one, when "fact" and "understanding" are labeled "belief", the starting premise of the entire discussion is already skewed.