PLFXpert

Pet Owners: Morbid Hypothetical

I don't have (and you can't provide) enough information to answer the question. My decision would vary on far too many factors, most importantly my gut reaction to the stranger. I would presume a child to be innocent and worth the sacrifice of my pet. I would presume a burglar in my home to be in need of someone else's assistance. In between it's just too tough for me to say.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

The person. People's lives are more important than animal's lives, no matter how beloved the animal.

Why do you think one species is "more important" than another? And how are you defining "important"?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

>Why do you think one species is "more important" than another?

Just how I was raised, I guess. People are more important than animals. If a puppy ran out into traffic, I'd yell at it, try to grab it, wave at cars - but I wouldn't run out into traffic to try to save it. If it were a child I would try.

>And how are you defining "important"?

More worth saving.

>Why do you think one species is "more important" than another?

Just how I was raised, I guess. People are more important than animals. If a puppy ran out into traffic, I'd yell at it, try to grab it, wave at cars - but I wouldn't run out into traffic to try to save it. If it were a child I would try.

>And how are you defining "important"?

More worth saving.

You kep bringing up "Child" in your answers. What if it were a 85 year old?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

>ou kep bringing up "Child" in your answers. What if it were a 85 year old?

Then I would try to save the 85 year old.

Interesting.

You mean you wouldn't have to send her to counciling to see if she was worth saving?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

>You mean you wouldn't have to send her to counciling to see if she was worth
>saving?

Nope. Nor would anyone else. Of course, if she wanted to go to see a councilor for that reason, no problem.

My point is that it would be a little late, don't you think?

>My point is that it would be a little late, don't you think?

You are trying to make some sort of point here, but it's getting lost in your ever more contrived scenario. Why don't you just post what your point is so you can stop with the tortured analogy?

Actually there is a reason they do it.

Everything in the animal world has a purpose, even if you do not see it.

Come on down from that ivory tower you have in your mind and realize cats do that as practice for killing.

They are hunters, they practice.

If it was a skydiver making more than one jump a day would you be so dismissive of the purpose?

You, dear fellow, should one day step down from your ivory tower - it's been a very simple question: Human life vs. animal life.

Do not tell me you let the old lady burn in her house while saving her dog just b/c you're a dog lover.

"Everything in the animal world has a purpose ....."

Only in the animal world? We do not have any purpose??? :S

What a crap.

(BTW: I'm a cat lover, my 2 little tigers love to surprise me about once a week with a delicate bird meal ;) )

dudeist skydiver # 3105

If a situation arose in which you must choose between saving the life of your pet or the life of a stranger, whom would you rescue and why?

In theory? I would save the life of the stranger. Human life, sacred, all that.

As a practical matter? I don't know. I've tried a couple of fantasy scenarios, and I can't get my mind around letting the kitty die.

I would hope that if push came to shove, I would save a person, but I'm just not so sure what would happen if I were faced with the choice.
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

So, I'm Robert Mgabe was drowning, you'd lend a hand or would it be a foot?

Is Robert Mugabe a human or one of my pets? That will answer your question.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

He's a monster

Then you save him and hand him over to the authorities.

Besides, the point was a human STRANGER.

A human life should be held as more important than an animals.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Why?

Because a human is a human and a pet a pet.

If you really cannot see a significant difference between a human and a dog... then I would not be able to explain my reasoning to you.

RL! Great to hear from you. :)

I've tried a couple of fantasy scenarios...

I tried a bunch myself.

I wish I knew where I first read the hypothetical posited to a large, random sampling of children (do not remember the age range). The children overwhelmingly opted to save Scruffy. From a sociological perspective, I found this intriguing.

At first, I could not help but consider the situation and the consequences--and like Chuck I thought of the potential legal ramifications of saving my pet. Then, I thought if the tables were turned, would I resent and hold accountable a person who opted to save their pet instead of my hunny.

Finally, I said forget all that and thought of the question as simply as possible as vortexring touched on: What would my instinct be toward? In a life/death situation one must act quickly and without the ability to stop and consider all possible courses of action.

At the end of the day, it is just another hypothetical for fans of hypotheticals. :P
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

(BTW: I'm a cat lover, my 2 little tigers love to surprise me about once a week with a delicate bird meal ;) )

My cat was forever doing that. Bringing home little skylarks, rats, mice, voles, and the odd partridge or pheasant. His favourite was baby rabbits though, and it'd piss me off no end to hear some little rabbit screaming it's head off 6 o'clock on on a Sunday morning. But I discovered a solution! The odd time the animal would be relatively unscathed, as I'd see the cat jump over the fence with it in his mouth, so I'd be able to intervene prior to the cat getting medieval on the rat. I'd verbally scold the cat; something along the lines of: 'Ya wee bastard' a couple of times. If the animal was dead or a bit mangled, I'd throw it into my neighbours garden and stick the cat in the house for a bit.

But this is the brilliant part; the other day my neighbour came over and told me about my cat continually leaving dead baby rabbits at his back window!!!B|

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'