GeorgiaDon

Gay penguins make good dads

Cute story about a gay (male) penguin couple taking on an egg/chick that had been rejected by its straight parents: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2009/06/05/gay-penguins-adopt005.html#socialcomments

So, is there a special "lake of fire" (or iceberg of fire in this case) in Hell for gay penguins? Or does this story just demonstrate that homosexual behavior is a perfectly natural phenomenon in lots of species besides humans? If only humans have free will, and God created everything just the way it is (evolution being a liberal lie), doesn't this mean that God made these animals gay? And why doesn't the iceberg of fire just melt?

Don

How do they know they're gay? Have they been observed having gay sex? Do they own a penguin hair styling salon? Cool story in any case.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

How do they know they're gay? Have they been observed having gay sex? Do they own a penguin hair styling salon? Cool story in any case.

There's some well-known gay male penguins at a German zoo, frequently found to attempt to mate each other, and tend to stick together like a male-female penguin couple otherwise would. They repeatedly refused to mate with female penguines. There's been some stories written about this queer residents at the zoo... It has brought up a share of controversy at that zoo, in past stories in previous years...

How do they know they're gay?

They are never sure.
The penguins have a strict don't-ask/don't tell policy.:|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

There's some well-known gay male penguins at a German zoo, frequently found to attempt to mate each other, and tend to stick together like a male-female penguin couple otherwise would. They repeatedly refused to mate with female penguines. There's been some stories written about this queer residents at the zoo... It has brought up a share of controversy at that zoo, in past stories in previous years...

Interesting. Could be that they have only been observed attempting sex is because, as animals, they're just not smart enough to do it right. I am friends with a gay couple that I meet with a couple times a week, and I'll ask what they think. Thing is, sex has NEVER come up in our conversations, so it'll be something new to discuss.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Damn I know I'm gonna catch hell for this, but here goes...
Justifying homosexual activity as being "normal" because animals do it is a losing battle. Some animals kill their young, eat their own feces, torture other animals for their own amusement, have homosexual relations in front of crowds of people in public places, etc. Doesn't mean it's ok for humans to follow suit.
I believe sexual relations between consenting adults is their own business and nobody elses. The rights of people to engage in homosexual activity should be protected on that basis, not "animals do it so it's ok".
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

Justifying homosexual activity as being "normal" because animals do it is a losing battle. Some animals kill their young, eat their own feces, torture other animals for their own amusement, have homosexual relations in front of crowds of people in public places, etc. Doesn't mean it's ok for humans to follow suit.
I believe sexual relations between consenting adults is their own business and nobody elses. The rights of people to engage in homosexual activity should be protected on that basis, not "animals do it so it's ok".

The argument is not whether or not it is OK. The argument is about whether or not it is natural. Homophobes are always describing homosexual behavior as "unnatural acts."
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

> The argument is about whether or not it is natural.

Well, of course it's natural. It is present in a lot of species. Homosexuality, monogamy, heterosexuality, and even polygamy are exhibited in natural populations that lack even the most basic hair salons.

Nah, that's about right.

Only thing is, the natural/unnatural argument stems from the opposition. They say "It's wrong because it's unnatural", therefore the answer comes back, "Oh really? What about these Penguins/Bonobos/Gorillas/Sheep etc." along with "So what if it was?"

Kind of a two-pronged counter.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

>Justifying homosexual activity as being "normal" because animals do it is
>a losing battle. Some animals kill their young, eat their own feces, torture
>other animals for their own amusement, have homosexual relations in
>front of crowds of people in public places, etc.

Rabbits eat their own feces because that's how their digestive system works. Their digestive system is designed to require two passes to break down what they eat (mainly cellulose.) That means that it's quite normal for rabbits to do that, and in fact helps them survive. Google cecotrophy for more info.

Cats "torture" (i.e. play with) small animals because they are wired to do so; it enables them to learn to hunt. The classic behavior is to catch a small animal, let it go, then pounce on it again when it starts getting away. By doing this over and over when they are full, they become better at hunting when they are hungry and thus have a better chance at survival. Thus it's pretty normal for cats.

The "have homosexual relations in front of crowds" is, I assume, referring to animals in a zoo. We put the animals there; they freak out for a while, then go back to living (somewhat) normal lives by ignoring the humans staring at them.

> Doesn't mean it's ok for humans to follow suit.

Definitely true. We make our own decisions on what to do and what not to do. Rape, for example, has some pretty strong evolutionary "hooks" that make it a very useful tool for reproduction, but we have decided that we're not OK with it. On the other hand, we do encourage some unnatural acts like circumcision, ear piercing, tattoos, condom usage, antibiotic usage, hand washing etc.

Justifying homosexual activity as being "normal" because animals do it is a losing battle.

There are many reasons for hating homosexuals, and one of them is religion. Many religions denounce homosexuality in the name of God, but what happens when we find out that some animals exhibit homosexuality? Does this mean that God screwed up? Or does it mean that he/she has different rules for animals? Having been raised in the Baptist church, I learned this about God - he is absolute. If he didn't want mankind to allow for homosexuals, he wouldn't have allowed animals to do it, either.

This doesn't justify homosexuality for humans, but it does remove the "don't do it because God said so" argument, at least for me.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I grew up on a farm, Bill, so I am pretty familiar with why animals do what they do.

BTW, you forgot to list jumping out of airplanes as something we do that is unnatural. ;)

HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

>What are the others?

Another reason is that some people who are gay, but who live a life where they cannot be gay, are actively and continually threatened by homosexuality. It is a real and active threat to them - if they express it to anyone and get caught, their career is finished, their power is lost, their words ignored. Some people will go to great lengths to avoid that. Preachers and politicians who make part of their living preaching against gay marriage and homosexuality would be included in this list. The historical equivalent would be the alcoholics who supported prohibition, since it just plain made their lives easier.

Another reason is that some people who are gay, but who live a life where they cannot be gay, are actively and continually threatened by homosexuality. It is a real and active threat to them - if they express it to anyone and get caught, their career is finished, their power is lost, their words ignored. Some people will go to great lengths to avoid that.

This is a cool idea born from trouble...... I'm gay... I'm not having a parade every time I go to work... Everyone I work with has an idea... so all I have to do is act 15% straighter and I'm gonna be CIO. B|
Owned by Remi #?

This is a cool idea born from trouble...... I'm gay... I'm not having a parade every time I go to work... Everyone I work with has an idea... so all I have to do is act 15% straighter and I'm gonna be CIO. Cool

Oh wait... maybe I should just focus on doing a good job....
Owned by Remi #?

Oh wait... maybe I should just focus on doing a good job....

Well WTF.... it turns out that in some cases (and probably more than others) a little grease on the elbow makes more of an impression than a little latex and lube next to the water cooler. :S
Owned by Remi #?

This is a cool idea born from trouble...... I'm gay... I'm not having a parade every time I go to work... Everyone I work with has an idea... so all I have to do is act 15% straighter and I'm gonna be CIO. B|

I'll vouch for this. At Rainbow Boogie 2006, Mike H definitely looked 85% more gay than Kelly. ;)