ChasingBlueSky

Former Mental Patient Kills Son/Self at Gun Range

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30109090/
Partial Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-kN39AlR-c

CASSELBERRY, Fla. - A central Florida woman who fatally shot her son then killed herself at a shooting range wrote in suicide notes to her boyfriend that she was trying to save her son.

"I'm so sorry," Marie Moore wrote several times. "I had to send my son to heaven and myself to Hell."

Mitchell's father, Charles Moore, told police that Marie Moore had a history of mental illness and had previously attempted suicide and been involuntarily committed to a mental hospital in 2002 under the state's Baker Act.

"I'm sorry to do this in your place of business, but I had to save my son," one message said. "God made me a queen and I failed. I'm a fallen angel. He turned me into the anti-Christ."

Moore said she could have killed only herself but felt she had to "save" her son and do it in a public way so the world could also be saved. "Hopefully when I die, there will 1,000 years of peace."

How did a former mental patient (involuntary commitment) come into possession of any firearm. That is a disqualifying factor to purchasing a firearm in Connecticut and, I thought, all states.

Is this not the case in Florida as well? Or did someone drop the ball and not have this commitment entered into the legal record where it would have been picked up in the FBI background check...as was the case in the VA Tech shooting incident.
"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"...Rudyard Kipling

How did a former mental patient (involuntary commitment) come into possession of any firearm.

It was a rental gun. Lots of ranges rent guns without background checks, because they are in the supposedly controlled conditions of the range.

In this case, it looks to me like the range operators are at fault.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

How did a former mental patient (involuntary commitment) come into possession of any firearm.

It was a rental gun. Lots of ranges rent guns without background checks, because they are in the supposedly controlled conditions of the range.

Sorry, the mother's at fault not the gun range.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Renting guns to nutcases is OK then? How about felons?
If you can't fix it with a hammer, the problem's electrical.

+1
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Ah, I just knew you'd be in with your usual strawman... why don't you show us what laws concern gun ranges and rental guns?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Ah, I just knew you'd be in with your usual strawman... why don't you show us what laws concern gun ranges and rental guns?

I didn't ask if it was legal, I asked if it was OK.

:P
If you can't fix it with a hammer, the problem's electrical.

I didn't ask if it was legal, I asked if it was OK.

:P

Why didn't you use your telepathy / precognizance and prevent it?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

And how are YOU going to judge 'nut cases'? By the drool running down their chin?

This is the risk that a business that chooses to rent guns for use on their range takes. They do not have the ability to judge 'nut cases' and the ability to do background checks for convictions in the 5 minutes of filling out a rental form.

We've had people commit suicide by skydive also. Are we supposed to judge the nutcases also?

I would choose not to rent firearms if I had such an establishment. Or not because it is a valuable tool to be able to test drive before purchase. The one gun store with an range inside that does this has had as suicide there also. A little easier and cheaper than buying a gun FTF to use.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

+1

I understand the thought process that the mother's at fault as she's the one that planned this out and then went through with it, but can you please explain to me how you think the gun range is completely absolved from all responsibility/fault here (if that is your position on this...if I misunderstood, my bad)?

To use the skydiving example, I'd say this is like renting gear to someone that says they're a skydiver without checking a logbook and then saying the DZ is not responsible when that person goes in.

Since you consider the question a "strawman", either you don't know what a strawman argument is, or you claim he misprepresented your position and you really don't think the range should be renting to nutcases.

Which is it?

+1

I understand the thought process that the mother's at fault as she's the one that planned this out and then went through with it, but can you please explain to me how you think the gun range is completely absolved from all responsibility/fault here (if that is your position on this...if I misunderstood, my bad)?

To use the skydiving example, I'd say this is like renting gear to someone that says they're a skydiver without checking a logbook and then saying the DZ is not responsible when that person goes in.

Nope. Using your analogy, the correct scenario would be a licensed skydiver renting gear and going in on a no-pull.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Using your analogy, the correct scenario would be a licensed skydiver renting gear and going in on a no-pull.

Is a license required to rent a gun?

Not that I'm aware of, no.

I was trying to find a way to show that there wasn't any need to 'pretend' anything - skydiving was probably a bad analogy anyway, in that respect.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Lots of ranges rent guns without background checks, because they are in the supposedly controlled conditions of the range.

That doesn't seem like a good idea to me. While I'm not for having a ridiculous amount of gun legislation, I do think that background checks are a good idea for anyone buying or renting a gun.

>And how are YOU going to judge 'nut cases'? By the drool running down their chin?

Well, having been admitted involuntarily to a mental hospital after trying to kill themselves would be a good clue as to whether or not they are a nut case.

Nope. Using your analogy, the correct scenario would be a licensed skydiver renting gear and going in on a no-pull.

I'm not sure I understand. Are you equating the mother in this story to a licensed skydiver?

Would her mental history preclude her from owning a gun, therefore I believe that FreeflyChile's analogy is correct...

And to his question, what (if any) responsibility do you think the range owner has in this incident?

>And how are YOU going to judge 'nut cases'? By the drool running down their chin?

Well, having been admitted involuntarily to a mental hospital after trying to kill themselves would be a good clue as to whether or not they are a nut case.

yes but how would a gun range find this out?

I'm not sure I understand. Are you equating the mother in this story to a licensed skydiver?

Would her mental history preclude her from owning a gun, therefore I believe that FreeflyChile's analogy is correct...

And to his question, what (if any) responsibility do you think the range owner has in this incident?

If you have a licensed skydiver (gun range equivalent: 21 or older) that rented equipment and killed themself with it, why would you say the dropzone (range) is at fault, if the person was legal to jump (rent a gun)?

That is why I said above that the skydiving analogy was a bad one. While the analogy can be made, it's unclear.

Regardless, there is no requirement and no mechanism in place for a gun range to do background checks on potential renters. In fact, it could very well be a HIPAA violation, as it exposes identifiable medical information.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I don't think the range gets a free pass here--they definitely bear some responsibility.

I'm very pro-2nd Amendment. I own (quite a few) firearms.

I believe that if you hand someone a firearm, whether they are paying you to rent it or just borrowing it, you have a duty to evaluate them and decide if you think they ought to have a gun in their hand. In this case, whoever gave her the weapon (i.e. the range, or their employee) did a poor job of this.

Am I saying that the range ought to be sued over it? No. Am I saying that someone ought to face charges? No. But I am saying that someone screwed up, and that person (or persons) is going to have to live with the knowledge that they bear some responsibility here.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I don't think so. This woman wasn't a "licensed skydiver."

I've got a local range that only rents guns to CCW holders. If this happened there I'd agree with your analogy.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com