riddler

Why are only Muslims called terrorists?

And yeah, most of your other examples were not relevant.

Not relevant - maybe that's the excuse the media uses to remove the word terrorist from any white mass-murderers. The 15 people killed in Germany probably weren't that relevant, which is why the perpetrator was only referred to as a "teen gunman", and not a terrorist.

Terrorism is the use of violence to further a political cause. Some will (successfully) argue that it is a term used to refer to one's enemies that use nonconventional methods of war. But neither definition are applicable to a social outcast who goes to schools and shoots people.

falxori, as always, in your mind if someone is jewish they must be right and you have to defend them. taking kids to a base to write love letters on ammo that is going to be used to kill people sounds like a field trip for a different youth group that used to be around in the 1940's

I agree, its disapointing Ori that you would support such behaviour. Its not acceptable whoever lets children do this no matter what religion they are.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

falxori, as always, in your mind if someone is jewish they must be right and you have to defend them. taking kids to a base to write love letters on ammo that is going to be used to kill people sounds like a field trip for a different youth group that used to be around in the 1940's

During WWII in the U.S., collections were taken up in public school classrooms several times a year for the sole purpose of buying ammunition for the troops in combat. Child terrorists?:S
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

terrorist: this incident is done to show what we can do to you. you will have more of this so you should be afraid, very afraid.

And I think I would add yet another.

A terrorist does NOT feel as though they are the group in power. Whether they're a group or an individual.

So when the Israeli government bombs Palestine willy-nilly, killing innocents just as dead as guilty, they're not terrorists. No siree. But when Arabs come into Israel and blow themselves up along with a lot of other innocent people, they are terrorists. Yeppir.

The problem is that the victims are just as dead.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

when the Israeli government bombs Palestine willy-nilly, killing innocents just as dead as guilty

the intent is the difference.
just as the difference between murder 1 and cause of death by neglect.

The problem is that the victims are just as dead

so are car accident victims.
its the intention to kill those innocents that makes the difference
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

I agree, its disapointing Ori that you would support such behaviour. Its not acceptable whoever lets children do this no matter what religion they are

first of all, I said i didnt support it. I don't think it was the brightest idea.

but still, there is a slight difference between that child terrorists, don't you think?

its the intention to kill those innocents that makes the difference

I think the indifference to killing civilians is just as bad a crime, and one that the Israeli military is guilty of at best.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

I agree, its disapointing Ori that you would support such behaviour. Its not acceptable whoever lets children do this no matter what religion they are

first of all, I said i didnt support it. I don't think it was the brightest idea.

but still, there is a slight difference between that child terrorists, don't you think?

Neither are right
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

no, only that it is heavily tainted by those who claim blowing up school buses is Allah's wish.

There have always been people who use god for an excuse for murder, this is not just a Muslim phenomena

as always, in your mind if someone is arab/muslim/palestinian they must be right and you have to defend them. If i were you, I would have been the first to condemn this "branch" of Islam that puts a dark mark on a whole religion.

In my mind I understand that not every so called terrorist organization is what we think or are told.
The Arabs who attacked us on 9-11 I would love to shoot my self. OBL and his crew are insane and have the mentality of convert or die. I don’t like any one who practices such beliefs. (by the way the would kill me as well because I am sheya).

However I and I believe many others can see why a Palestinian might feel so much desperation that they would committee an act of vengeance. You can call it terrorizm to me I can understand. When I put my self in their shoes I really can understand I also believe most people would be able to understand.

Again I am not saying its productive, or the best way to do things, but if you destroy all I love and have then guess what I am going to retaliate.

So HAMAS to me is not the same as Osama not even close. And yes I can differentiate. The truth is not as black as white as we would like.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

I think it's bad to presume terrorists are always Muslim.
It's even worse to presume Muslims are always terrorists.

Why not remove the word Muslim anytime we use the word terrorist? Is it any more relevant than saying a "christian terrorist"? I don't recall Terry Nichols referred to as a Christian Terrorist, but he was. Many people that commit acts of mass-violence believe that God is on their side, whether they are a follower of Islam or not.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I think it's bad to presume terrorists are always Muslim.
It's even worse to presume Muslims are always terrorists.

Why not remove the word Muslim anytime we use the word terrorist? Is it any more relevant than saying a "christian terrorist"? I don't recall Terry Nichols referred to as a Christian Terrorist, but he was. Many people that commit acts of mass-violence believe that God is on their side, whether they are a follower of Islam or not.

I think if Nichols said he did the bombing as part of a holy war on behalf of Christianity, and chose his target because the target was somehow "against Christianity", then it'd be fair to call him a "Christian terrorist." I think that would be a fair type of standard to apply.

Muslims don't have a corner on that market! What about the Ku Klux Klan, gang-bangers, skin-heads, neo-nazis, drug runners... did I miss anyone?

Your point is well-taken - that all of these kinds "terrorize" people - but as a matter of pedantics & semantics, the gang-bangers and the drug runners, while criminals, are not the kind of "terrorists" we're talking about. Usually. The others are, usually.

Muslims don't have a corner on that market! What about the Ku Klux Klan, gang-bangers, skin-heads, neo-nazis, drug runners... did I miss anyone?

Your point is well-taken - that all of these kinds "terrorize" people - but as a matter of pedantics & semantics, the gang-bangers and the drug runners, while criminals, are not the kind of "terrorists" we're talking about. Usually. The others are, usually.

Excuuuuuuse Meeeeeeeeee...

Chuck

Quote edited for more general context.

So when the government bombs willy-nilly, killing innocents just as dead as guilty, they're not terrorists. No siree.
The problem is that the victims are just as dead.

Two words: "Precision strike".

Blowing uop an entire appartment complex to get a terrorist who 'probably' is there... How is that different from a suicide bomber?
At least a suicide bomber will not do it more than once.

And why precision strikes? The gov't got snipers don't they?
Risk to the troops? What about the intelligence operative who has to track the target's whereabouts?
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Or to put it another way, its a shame the media doesn't report it when Muslims do speak out against the Islam extremists

I actually think the media would report it since its "news" (at least in their eyes).
the public needs to know that the leaders do not accept these tactics and they should speak openly and clearly against it.

by being vague about it, they do very little to fight the "Islam=terrorists" image

What about the Ku Klux Klan, gang-bangers, skin-heads, neo-nazis, drug runners... did I miss anyone?

I'm interested in any recent news reports that label any persons belonging to these organizations as terrorists. If you can find any news stories of recent criminal activities of gang members, KKKers, skin-heads, or drug runners, where they are labeled as "terrorists", please provide a link.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD