JohnRich

Police taser incident: Excessive force?

News:
Judge Gets Wish as Video Shows Misuse of Taser

"The 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals may have tried to cover up a particularly deplorable decision in a civil-rights case by not publishing it. But the videotape of a Florida police officer repeatedly tasering a handcuffed motorist has now shown up on YouTube - with the apparent support of the dissenting judge.

"As the video graphically shows, Washington County Sheriff's Deputy Jonathan Rackard used his taser during a traffic stop not to subdue a resisting suspect -– the purpose for which the stun gun is designed –- but as a “pain-compliance” device to force Jesse Buckley to stand up and get into his police car..."
Story: http://www.onpointnews.com/NEWS/judge-gets-wish-as-video-shows-misuse-of-taser.html

Video (6-minutes): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWC7iSGCk-s&eurl=http://www.onpointnews.com/NEWS/judge-gets-wish-as-video-shows-misuse-of-taser.html

As is usual with these taser related cases, it comes down to what the circumstances are that the officer is authorized to use the taser.
In this case he could have deplyed alternative methods to accomplish his desired result. He could have kicked the guy in the ribs several times for example and achieved a similar amount of pain to encourage compliance. The question therefore is was the officer justified in kicking the guy in the ribs several times in this case?
Yes, this was excessive force.

Yes, this was excessive force.

The officer could just be weak and dumb and did what he thought was best...

He shoulda just dragged the guy away and be done with it instead of engaging in all the drama...besides, tasers generally knock people down:S...as I said...this officer is either dumb, or weak.(mentally, physically, and perhaps even verbally)
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Yes. Excessive.

Part of the design of the Taser is that its shock will disrupt muscle control making difficult, if not impossible, for the target to have complied with his request. The officer should certainly have known that and if he was trained properly and did it anyway, then the "sadistic fuck" is the only remaining option.

While the officer does give him a minute or two to recover between shocks, you'll notice that at no time does the officer ask if "Mr. Buckley" has been otherwise injured in the process of thrashing around. The guy can't seem to even form the word "stop" or "don't tase me bro". I don't think the guy is as much resisting as simply unable to pull it together mentally enough to comply.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Part of the design of the Taser is that its shock will disrupt muscle control making difficult, if not impossible, for the target to have complied with his request. The officer should certainly have known that and if he was trained properly and did it anyway, then the "sadistic fuck" is the only remaining option.

While the officer does give him a minute or two to recover between shocks, you'll notice that at no time does the officer ask if "Mr. Buckley" has been otherwise injured in the process of thrashing around. The guy can't seem to even form the word "stop" or "don't tase me bro". I don't think the guy is as much resisting as simply unable to pull it together mentally enough to comply.

and you are absolutely correct! However, IIRC, most PD units only require you to know how to operate it inorder to be certified on it. Most the time, they dont actually feel the effects of the tazer. Ill tell you from experience, it is quite possibly the single most painfull 5 seconds of your life. And there is ALMOST no fucking way you can stand up while you're going for the ride. Doing it multiple times in a row is actually pretty dangerous. The tazer will jack up your heartrate and give you a light-headed feeling, you feel dizzy and have a hard time keeping balance. Most the people that I got tazed with were able to stand up thru it, only to finish and fall to their knees.

The other group was a bunch of pussies who fell down as soon as they got hit.B|
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

However, IIRC, most PD units only require you to know how to operate it inorder to be certified on it. Most the time, they dont actually feel the effects of the tazer.

Many departments require officers that carry a Taser to be exposed during training. That means darts fired into you and taking the ride. Those same departments typically require OC exposure as well. I'm just glad they don't require .40 exposure!:o
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

However, IIRC, most PD units only require you to know how to operate it inorder to be certified on it. Most the time, they dont actually feel the effects of the tazer.

Many departments require officers that carry a Taser to be exposed during training. That means darts fired into you and taking the ride. Those same departments typically require OC exposure as well. I'm just glad they don't require .40 exposure!:o

when we went thru our OC/Tazer certs, they told us that most pd's only required you know how to use it.

hrm, oh well... that OC is a bitch isnt it??B|

and its funny how you dont feel the darts getting pulled out of your back, even tho they are like straightened out fish hooks
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

What was the officer trained to do?

Beats the heck out of me. But common sense tells me that if someone is passively resisting getting into the police car, that you just call for backup so that you have extra muscle power to lift him up and put him there yourself. Torturing someone to make them comply with an order is unacceptable, when they aren't doing anything to harm anyone.

Torturing someone to make them comply with an order is unacceptable, when they aren't doing anything to harm anyone.

Agreed 100%. The taser is NOT a compliance tool.

.jim
"Don't touch my fucking Easter eggs, I'll be back monday." ~JTFC

Torturing someone to make them comply with an order is unacceptable, when they aren't doing anything to harm anyone.

Agreed 100%. The taser is NOT a compliance tool.

.jim
"Don't touch my fucking Easter eggs, I'll be back monday." ~JTFC

IMO this was excessive force...I was under the impression that the Tazer is supposed to be used to put someone resisting arrest, DOWN on the ground, to control them. After receiving multiple shocks, which is dangerous anyway, I do not know how anyone is supposed to stand up and walk anywhere. Cop should have just called for backup first, for the extra muscle to pick up Mr. Buckley and put him in the car. Buckley clearly has some mental issues.

Old age ain't no place for sissies!

Having just watched the video, I do find it kinda odd that he was dry stunning him.

(Dry stun is where you take the dart cartridge off the tazer and use the metal probes instead of actually firing darts, suppossed to hurt more from what I was taught)

Could it be because he was trying to keep the tazing under wraps? The cartridges arent THAT expensive and Im sure the PD probably has boxes of them, it just makes no sense to me why he wouldn't have just shot him if he was going to use the tazer.

Im not saying he should have used it, and I wouldnt have in that senario, but... Why dry stun?

Buckley clearly has some mental issues.

The officer clearly has some legal issues.

Nah...history shows that a soft hand-slap, at most, is on order here.

Sorry for AggieDave...guys like this give ALL you guys a bad name. But on the other hand, adherence to the thin blue line does too.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239