turtlespeed

So when do you think Obama

Um, this is criticism of something that Obama has neither mentioned nor endorsed.

It's a fucking straw man from the first post. The racist undertones came later.

Speakers Corner is becoming such a joke. It used to be possible to read different perspectives and get maybe a little kernel of sanity here are there. It's all bullshit now.

- Dan G

i thank God for these forums because it makes me see racism is still so alive ........... thanks for keeping me on point .

It's like how you don"t see the roaches with the light off, but when you turn it on you can see the bastards ... guess Obama is like turning the lights on . but I do respect you guys for speaking it more than the "i'm not racist" but they really are people .

keep'n it real boys!

Wow - I never knew that asking a question made me a racist.

I wonder if you even read the posts and reply's before you responded.

I agree with mnealtx, sounds like you might have a problem with your knees . . . they seem to be jerking really badly.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Um, this is criticism of something that Obama has neither mentioned nor endorsed.

It's a fucking straw man from the first post. The racist undertones came later.

Speakers Corner is becoming such a joke. It used to be possible to read different perspectives and get maybe a little kernel of sanity here are there. It's all bullshit now.

That was before it was called "Speakers Corner" . . . remember that?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

It used to be possible to read different perspectives and get maybe a little kernel of sanity here are there. It's all bullshit now.

This can be seen in everyday life.

IMO...it has something to do with "Future Shock"

"too much change in too short a period of time"

"This change will overwhelm people, the accelerated rate of technological and social change leaving them disconnected and suffering from "shattering stress and disorientation" – future shocked."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_Shock

Haven't finished the book yet...I think some black guy stole it from the coffee shop library. *sarcasm*
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Change WILL happen no matter how much religious fundamentalist conservatives try to fight it. They are doomed to live in a world that they do not want to deal with.

Change WILL happen no matter how much religious fundamentalist conservatives try to fight it. They are doomed to live in a world that they do not want to deal with.

What would happen to you if they are right though?:|

...and therefore Obama is responsible-by-association for what some black preacher says because

Reminds me of blaming Bush for the bad intel on Iraq.
:S

Bush invaded another country. Obama has not written a single reparation check. How are these things remotely similar to each other?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I have watched my first cousins kids grow up and be home schooled by their religious fanatic parents. They are now young adults about to go out into the 21st century with a nineteenth century view and education. They are socially inept at anyplace other than their church.

I grew up in a religious family.. and went to parochial schools.. BUT at least the curriculum included 20th century teachers and curicula. I can exist in that world.. but they are having a difficult time learning to adapt to mine.:S

I've got a pretty naive question. This country is trillions of dollars in debt. All of a sudden, we have billions to bail-out scheming, con-men bankers and loan officers as well as auto manufacturers. Now, there's talk of reparation checks. Here's the 'dumb' question... Where does this money come from? I know, 'a big printing press'! Seriously, where is this money coming from. I was always told... when you're broke... you're broke!

Chuck

> Where does this money come from?

It will be borrowed, as always.

>I was always told... when you're broke... you're broke!

Not any more! Now when you're broke, you can get a subprime mortgage and then a bailout when you can't pay for it.

(BTW as you probably know there are no plans for any reparation checks.)

Now, there's talk of reparation checks

Its an old demand by people who want more of something for nothing.

Buying into it perpetuates victimhood. There is no one alive that was subjected to slavery. The country of Liberia was a place of return for freed slaves. Perhaps those who want reparations would prefer a whole country to themselves.

ITs also a convienient rallying cry of those who know it was something that is dead on arrival.. by folks that were appaled at the demise of separate but equal. That crowd never really supported anything approaching anything that was equal in the first place.

Bush made a decision based on a PANEL of contributing sources of intel. He didn't invade anything for that matter. WE did. As a nation, with a lot of support from other nations as well.
That was my point.
Trying to blame someone because of an association to someone else who is in fact the responsible party is just inaccurate.
I never mentioned a check - simply a response to the statement:
"and therefore Obama is responsible-by-association for what some black preacher says"

Bush made a decision based on a PANEL of contributing sources of intel. He didn't invade anything for that matter. WE did. As a nation, with a lot of support from other nations as well.
That was my point.

Dilatory..Dilatory..... Facts not in evidence.

> Where does this money come from?

It will be borrowed, as always.

>I was always told... when you're broke... you're broke!

Not any more! Now when you're broke, you can get a subprime mortgage and then a bailout when you can't pay for it.

(BTW as you probably know there are no plans for any reparation checks.)

I appreciate your response.
Who do we borrow the money from? Doesn't that just sink us just a little deeper?
Maybe, putting the pressure on some of these countries who have owed us for years and we keep loaning them money to pay-up, would help.
To sum it up... we're still broke!?

I'm pretty sure, 'reparation checks' is a figment of someone's imagination.:D

Chuck

Now, there's talk of reparation checks

Its an old demand by people who want more of something for nothing.

Buying into it perpetuates victimhood. There is no one alive that was subjected to slavery. The country of Liberia was a place of return for freed slaves. Perhaps those who want reparations would prefer a whole country to themselves.

ITs also a convienient rallying cry of those who know it was something that is dead on arrival.. by folks that were appaled at the demise of separate but equal. That crowd never really supported anything approaching anything that was equal in the first place.

Thank you!
I've never understood that logic. They all want something for nothing. You can't get it through their heads that we had nothing to do with it and neither did they. Let it go! I remember 'separate but equal' and you're right... it was nowhere near!
Thanks, again

Chuck

. I was always told... when you're broke... you're broke!

Nowadays that only applies to able bodied single white males in this country. Everybody else can get handouts if they're too good to work. ;)
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

That was my point.
Trying to blame someone because of an association to someone else who is in fact the responsible party is just inaccurate.
I never mentioned a check - simply a response to the statement:
"and therefore Obama is responsible-by-association for what some black preacher says"

Congress gave Bush permission to make a decision to take us into combat (without a declaration of war, which irritates me). Still, it was Bush who decided to go to war, and he doesn't get to blame anyone else for making that decision for him. I blame Congress for aiding and abetting, but the final responsibility lies with the guy who chose to use the power he'd been (irresponsibly) given. By contrast, Obama has not decided to issue reparation checks, nor has he, to my knowledge, directed any black preachers to state that he will. That's a pretty big difference.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

. I was always told... when you're broke... you're broke!

Nowadays that only applies to able bodied single white males in this country. Everybody else can get handouts if they're too good to work. ;)

That's just wrong! Here's a thought! Quit payin'-out all that welfare money and pay some bills! At this time, we're looking like one big enabler!

Chuck

bullshit.
All presidents have panel of advisers to provide them information to make a decision on.
You think President Bush went ad collected all that bad intel on his own???

Right back at ya

Yes all presidents have advisors.. Bush and Rummy FIRED a whole host of prefessional soldiers who did not tell him what he wanted to hear. Long before they cooked the intel into something they could sell.. they were dead set on going into Iraq. Eventually they got the lousy team they were looking for.. who actually believed all the bullshit and an inept congress that was afraid to stand up to this crap because at the time Bush and his cronies were painting anyone ( JUST LIKE some of the SCUMBUCKETS around here) as unpatriotic if there was not 100% support for Geroge and Dicks Excellent Adventure into the land to be welcomed with flowers and accolades as liberators.

The military did its job in an efficient manner.. but the planners and the intel behind it was not ready for the reality of what to do with Iraq once the major battle was won. The intel was shown to be false....The funny thing about war is you need to not only win the battles but you have to have an end game to procure a lasting peace. Your boys blew it.. and a lot of young americans have paid a very high price for those intel mistakes.

>Who do we borrow the money from?

Oddly enough, the primary answer is . . . us. Every time we buy a T-bill or a savings bond, we give the government money, and they pay it back later, with money that other people give them for even more T-bills.

Foreign government can also buy the equivalent of T-bills, and this is a large part of our debt is owed to other governments. When the US government needs money, often they will auction off debt instruments, effectively increasing the interest rate until someone buys them.

>Doesn't that just sink us just a little deeper?

Yes, and there's a point where we can no longer maintain the debt service (i.e. paying off the people we owe.) I think we are getting pretty close to that point now.

>Maybe, putting the pressure on some of these countries who have owed
>us for years and we keep loaning them money to pay-up, would help.

Unfortunately, that's such a tiny part of our debt (we are above ten trillion now) that it wouldn't do much.

>To sum it up... we're still broke!?

Well, sort of!

A lot of americans have a negative net worth; they owe more on their house, car etc than they have. But they have a job and are paying off that debt. Are they broke? In one sense, I guess. But as long as they can make it work in the long run, we don't consider that broke generally.

Check out Penn & Tellers show Bullshit. They did an entire episode on reparations. It's an old idea that will never happen. I think this thread is silly. I have never once heard any one connected to Obama even mention the idea.
This website has become tiresome...