rushmc

Well? Did SNL Go Too Far?

>There are things in this world that are not funny and never will be.

You would think. But here in the US, we made a sitcom about a Nazi POW camp.

You really can make fun of anything. Doesn't mean it will be funny, of course.

Hogan's Heroes was Definantly funny.

edited for SP

How about Shatner's Boston Legal role??? SOB he is perfect for that part!

I completely forgot....:S never seen it...just previews for the show.

looks like i'll have to catch up on fancast when I'm through with House, M.D
www.fancast.com

I still like the priceline commercials though...may they continue for another 10 years...
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

You really can make fun of anything. Doesn't mean it will be funny, of course.

Hogan's Heroes proved that beyond a reasonable doubt, yep.

Really? You think Hogan's Heros "proves" that you can make fun of anything even though none of the Holocaust was even mentioned in it? Really?

Hogan's Heros proves that you can make a small segment of the war seem silly if you literally confine it stereotypes and turn killers into imbeciles and give the prisoners power they never actually had, but it certainly doesn't "prove" anything about being able to make any situation "funny."

A FAR better example might be "It's a Beautiful Life" but certainly not even all of that is "funny."
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

"I say there is no morality rule in humor. There is nothing in this world that is beyond making fun of."

How about a fatal automobile accident? A child with cancer? The 2004 tsunami in Thailand that killed 8,000 people? The Holocaust? The nuclear bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki? There are things in this world that are not funny and never will be.

As far as the original question here, that skit made me uncomfortable. Making fun of someone's blindness seems like a nasty cheap shot. I'm sure there are others who find making fun of the disabled absolutely hysterical. I'm also sure there is nothing I can say to the folks who enjoy that sort of humor that would change their minds.

I don't know, I remember being in grade school and making Challenger jokes. I thought they were funny at the time, but completely based on a tragedy. there is a BIG difference between PC and funny.

People with no arms and no legs are not funny (and are very handicapped) but if they are on the ground and their name is Matt, or they are floating in the water and they're name is Bob, well, then that is funny.

PC and frunny are two different things.

:D:D

Oh man, thanks. I had forgotten about those jokes.

Besides all that, good points:)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

"National Federation for the Blind spokesman Chris Danielson, who called the skit "totally unacceptable," is calling on NBC -- the network that airs SNL -- to issue a formal apology."

Did Mr. Danielson watch the episode too ?
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

"National Federation for the Blind spokesman Chris Danielson, who called the skit "totally unacceptable," is calling on NBC -- the network that airs SNL -- to issue a formal apology."

Did Mr. Danielson watched the episode too ?

I dont know, did he?

"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

You think Hogan's Heros "proves" that you can make fun of anything even though none of the Holocaust was even mentioned in it? Really?

No -- though I can see how you derived that considering the course of the conversation. I was merely making a one-liner on how UN-funny I thought the show was regardless of any relation to anything.

Your point might have been well debated with my dear old departed Dad, however, who RAILED against the show back then. Making light of war really pissed him off, having had much first hand war experience himself. He made the same argument against MASH, and boycotted that one too.

Irrelevant side note: I was just a kid in San Diego in 1970 when MASH (the movie) was released. Opening day at a local theater brought an anti-war protest in the form of a sit-in inside the theater, which later turned very violent. In short, the cops physically drove the ~100 protesters out of the place, so they gathered outside and eventually began throwing objects through the glass front doors, injuring a couple of theater workers. The cops then came outside and began busting heads and taking prisoners. Thankfully, mom arrived to pick us up around that time. :D

. . =(_8^(1)

I think, Boston Legal will go down in t.v. history, much like M.A.S.H. I have wondered sometimes if maybe, Shatner wasn't satirizing himself. Whatever the case, he was as you said, perfect for the role. James Spader was fascinating and mesmerizing with his closings. All in all, an un-believably wonderful cast on that show.

Agreed. Over the past year, my TV viewing declined to the point that all I was watching was "Boston Legal" and "House, M.D", and now I don't even watch TV, but watch the shows I want via NetFlix DVD's. I am just finishing up the BL 3rd season. The political/social commentary is outstanding, as it the acting.

That, was the beauty of the show... touching on 'real' subjects. The 'zaniness', thrown-in for good measure was icing on the cake. The actors were an incredible mix. I don't know if you know this or not but, here's some useless knowledge... James Spader is near blind. (If, you get the chance, watch a movie he was in... 'The Secretary') He cannot wear contact lenses and thus, squinted alot. He also, has a photographic memory. ION T.V. is showing re-runs of Boston Legal and I DVR each one. My wife and I, watch very little t.v. also but, would not miss Boston Legal.

Chuck

In looking at our 'humor' in general, it seems to thrive on the short-comings and weaknesses of people. I hear it just about everywhere. SNL does the same thing only, on a much broader level. With them, the higher in society one is the greater chance SNL will pick on them. Everyone is 'fair game'. Father Guido Sarducci (sp), picked on the Pope!

I saw an article on the late night news, last night, about a baby which was born with a tumor on his brain, which happened to be a fully developed foot, bones and all. Some sort of stem cell gone awry.
I immediately called my brother, and told him about it, saying the the baby had been born a foot ahead.
He said, "You are one sick bastard."