shropshire

BRAVO : Granade hero gets gong.

A Royal Marine reservist who shielded his comrades from a grenade blast in Afghanistan has been awarded the George Cross by the Queen.

Lance Corporal Matthew Croucher, 24, of Solihull, West Midlands, lay in front of the grenade after walking into a trip wire in Helmand Province.

clicky

fixed my link - whoops.

B|

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Wow... :o

He felt himself walk into a tripwire which pulled the pin out of a grenade.

He said earlier this year: "I thought 'I'm going to get gravely injured whatever I do so I might as well jump in front of the grenade and try to save the lads.

That's some quick and cool thinking right there.
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

A Royal Marine reservist who shielded his comrades from a grenade blast in Afghanistan has been awarded the George Cross by the Queen.

No disrespect intended... I don't understand why he didn't get a Victoria Cross. I thought the George Cross was a civilian award. I'm American though and probably missing something.
Owned by Remi #?

I can't work that one out either. Or at least a millitary medal.

(Speaking of the Victoria cross) The GC followed in 1940, recognising courage in action but not under direct enemy fire.

Source:http://web.archive.org/web/20070609182751/http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/HistoryAndHonour/VictoriaAndGeorgeCrossHoldersTheWorldsMostExclusiveClub.htm

He said earlier this year: "I thought 'I'm going to get gravely injured whatever I do so I might as well jump in front of the grenade and try to save the lads.

It's amazing that one can make that sort of rational decision in that sort of time frame.

And even more amazing that the result of it was 'severe bruising.' What the heck was that backback made of? Can we outfit all the soldiers with it?

Too bad good karma can't be shared.

It's amazing that one can make that sort of rational decision in that sort of time frame.

And even more amazing that the result of it was 'severe bruising.' What the heck was that backback made of? Can we outfit all the soldiers with it?

Too bad good karma can't be shared.

Being a skydiver you know 3 to 8 seconds is an eternity. Especially when confronted with adrenaline induced slow motion. Ever had that?
www.FourWheelerHB.com

But we also know that skydivers faced with a low pull situation nearly always go to their main rather than their reserve, often getting two outs as a result. Muscle memory and instinct win out in that same 3-8 seconds left.

Whereas self sacrifice in jumping towards a grenade rather than away seems contrary to both.