TrophyHusband

do you believe this statement is true?

he had this exchange with a plumber:

"Your new tax plan is going to tax me more, isn't it?" the plumber asked, complaining that he was being taxed "more and more for fulfilling the American dream."

"It's not that I want to punish your success. I just want to make sure that everybody who is behind you, that they've got a chance for success too," Obama responded. "My attitude is that if the economy's good for folks from the bottom up, it's gonna be good for everybody ... I think when you spread the wealth around, it's good for everybody."

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

"I think when you spread the wealth around, it's good for everybody"

this statement was made by obama on sunday.

The statement is meaningless when out of context.
How much of a disparity is there between haves and have nots (see China), how is the wealth concentrated into few hands (see Iraq under Saddam or North Korea today), and how the "redistribution" occurs (see Mugabe) have huge bearings on how much I would agree with the statement.
As a general rule, the more the wealth is spread around, the more stable a country is. Just based on the statement you quoted, I would think a much closer look at the specifics and definitions of "spreading the wealth" and of whom falls into which category would be in order, don't you think?

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

i gave the context on post 4. in that particular situation, the disparity isn't that great. the thing about this country (usa) is that even the poor here have cell phones, electricity, running water, and many other luxuries that the truly poor in other countries i've been to could only dream of. context aside, is it good when you take money from rich people and give it to poor people for the sake of spreading the wealth?

www.kjandmegan.com

i'll elaborate a little more. obama has said that he will raise taxes for people making over $250,000 a year and cut taxes for people making less. a lot of people bust their asses to make that kind of money. i'll give you an example. my wife has busted her ass since high school to get where she is now. she is an ob/gyn in the air force. she is three years out of residency, but still works almost as much as she did while a resident. she got called in at 4 this morning. it's 9 now and she just called. she has to dictate an op report and then she will try to come home. this is very normal. she takes ahuge amount of call and even when she's not on call, she works 10-12 hour days. once she gets out of the air force, she will likely be just over the $250,000 mark. she earns every cent she makes. should her money be taken from her to spread to the poor in this country?

www.kjandmegan.com

should her money be taken from her to spread to the poor in this country?

That's a "push poll" style of question. Everyone knows the function of taxes, and it's not just to "give to the poor." You're just demagoguing what Obama said in order to hysterically demonize it. Bush league.

If Obama thought that was true he would give more to the IRS. Do you think they would not cash the check???? Anybody that says that and does not give more to the IRS is full of shit! For all of you that said yes how many of you gave more than you where supposed to to the IRS???? Stick your money where your mouth is! Put out or shut up LOSERS!!!!!
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

once she gets out of the air force, she will likely be just over the $250,000 mark. she earns every cent she makes. should her money be taken from her to spread to the poor in this country?

I don't think I need to explain to you how marginal tax rates work. The delta for her, if Congress passed something exactly as he proposed, would be quite slight.

Most of us earn every cent we make. If we want to be really simplistic about it, she may end up paying a lower rate than those making "only" 120k because of the decreased effective SS tax. BTW, if she's doing residency in the AF, sounds like they paid the medical school in exchange for the subsequent service. True? If so, she's 6 figures in debt ahead of most doctors.

Someone has to start paying for Iraq, the tax cuts, the HSA/TSA growth. Neither candidate is going to fullfill their promise of cutting taxes for most of us. (And sure as hell not McCain whose great solution is to cut the capital gains tax in half - moron)

I didn't like Clinton's tax brackets, but I did like the brief glimmer of hope that we would get our debt under control.

Can't possibly be good for everybody...somebody loses in that scenario.

And that's the fallacy. Even the rich do poorly when the poor and middle class do poorly; they need all players in the game to do well. Don't think so, read about the Great Depression.

i'll elaborate a little more. obama has said that he will raise taxes for people making over $250,000 a year and cut taxes for people making less. a lot of people bust their asses to make that kind of money. i'll give you an example. my wife has busted her ass since high school to get where she is now. she is an ob/gyn in the air force. she is three years out of residency, but still works almost as much as she did while a resident. she got called in at 4 this morning. it's 9 now and she just called. she has to dictate an op report and then she will try to come home. this is very normal. she takes ahuge amount of call and even when she's not on call, she works 10-12 hour days. once she gets out of the air force, she will likely be just over the $250,000 mark. she earns every cent she makes. should her money be taken from her to spread to the poor in this country?

A percentage, yes. Just as if she gets a horrible illness, you have to care for her and she can't work, society, esp the people making 250k and up should pay that cost. It's easy to be 30, in perfect health and with a great career to shrug and ask why people are so fucking lazy, but when you look at examples you can see that we need social svs for those who truely need them.

If Obama thought that was true he would give more to the IRS. Do you think they would not cash the check???? Anybody that says that and does not give more to the IRS is full of shit! For all of you that said yes how many of you gave more than you where supposed to to the IRS???? Stick your money where your mouth is! Put out or shut up LOSERS!!!!!

Extremism is just that and taken with a grain of salt. I imagine you are pro-Iraq War, why aren't you there? Why aren't you out petitioning every second for people to go, etc... If I knew you I could find your positions and get all extreme and then call you a hypocrite. Extremism is ridiculous.

Wanting the people making the money to be taxed at a higher amount/higher rate isn't American or unAmerican, it's just taxing the money, nothing personal.

Are you a Christian? and if you are do you know the biblical response to taxes and the poor?
Your insinuation that since the poor have cell phones,electricity, and running water and should just be happy with that is very telling.

Let them eat cake.

I imagine you are pro-Iraq War,

I believe we went in there with the right intensions, and best data avaliable to the world!

why aren't you there?

I have a famialy and did not sign up.

Why aren't you out petitioning every second for people to go, etc...

That is not my job! I case you didnt notice we have an all volitary military! Wake up and check the news we are not in Vietnam! :S

If I knew you I could find your positions and get all extreme and then call you a hypocrite. Extremism is ridiculous.

Why dont you try asking my view's and i will openly tell you! I am no hypocrite i promise you. I stand for what i beleive in PERIOD! I dont change with the tides!!!!

Wanting the people making the money to be taxed at a higher amount/higher rate isn't American or unAmerican, it's just taxing the money, nothing personal.

What happened to the LIBERALS idea of everbody pay there fare share???? Over 30% pay no taxes at all!!!!! Where is there fare share???? Top 5% pay over 50% of income taxes!!!!!! Where is the liberals fare share???? I pay taxes for allllooooootttt of people! Its about time they start to contribute!!!! Care to put your money where your mouth is?????
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

>I believe we went in there with the right intensions, and best data
>avaliable to the world!

We had the best data available. Unfortunately we were given a completely different set of data. The New Yorker summed it up well:

"There is no longer the slightest doubt that the Bush Administration manipulated, bullied, and lied the American public into this war and then mismanaged its prosecution in nearly every aspect."

>What happened to the LIBERALS idea of everbody pay there fare
>share?

What's the "fair share" of a woman with Down syndrome who cannot feed herself? How much will you tax her? Will you be the one to jail her when she doesn't pay?

>Top 5% pay over 50% of income taxes!!!!!! Where is the liberals fare
>share???? I pay taxes for allllooooootttt of people!

You pay taxes for you, and you use the roads, enjoy the protection of the military and use the various free services available to you. Seems fair to me.

>Care to put your money where your mouth is?

How about you? You supported the Iraq war - time to put your money where your mouth is and pay for your part of the $600 billion or so we've spent on it so far. You supported Bush - time to put your money where your mouth is and pay for his bailout plan. You have often denigrated others for not supporting America - time to put your money where your mouth is and support it yourself, with more than just words on a forum.

should her money be taken from her to spread to the poor in this country?

That's a "push poll" style of question. Everyone knows the function of taxes, and it's not just to "give to the poor." You're just demagoguing what Obama said in order to hysterically demonize it. Bush league.

people asked for context and i gave it. i am not demonizing what he said, redistribution of wealth is one of the basics of liberalism. i'm just asking who here believes in that. there may be liberals who don't believe in it or conservatives who do. i don't have a problem with paying my share, i just don't want to pay someone elses share who is capable of paying their own way.

www.kjandmegan.com

I don't think I need to explain to you how marginal tax rates work. The delta for her, if Congress passed something exactly as he proposed, would be quite slight.

Most of us earn every cent we make. If we want to be really simplistic about it, she may end up paying a lower rate than those making "only" 120k because of the decreased effective SS tax. BTW, if she's doing residency in the AF, sounds like they paid the medical school in exchange for the subsequent service. True? If so, she's 6 figures in debt ahead of most doctors.

he had made the dividing line at $250,000. below that will have a tax decrease and above will have a tax increase. while likely won't be paying as high of a percentage as someone making a couple million, but it will probably be a significantly higher percentage than the person pulling down 120k.

it is true that her medical school was paid for in exchange for service, but dollarwise, she would have been farther ahead to take on the debt and get a higher paying job out of residency. i'm not seeing how that is relevant to your side of the discussion, but it does point out the fact that you don't have to have a rich daddy to become a doctor.

www.kjandmegan.com

A percentage, yes. Just as if she gets a horrible illness, you have to care for her and she can't work, society, esp the people making 250k and up should pay that cost. It's easy to be 30, in perfect health and with a great career to shrug and ask why people are so fucking lazy, but when you look at examples you can see that we need social svs for those who truely need them.

i'm on board with you there, but the key is who really needs society to help. i'm sure that you would draw that line in a different place than me.

www.kjandmegan.com

Are you a Christian? and if you are do you know the biblical response to taxes and the poor?
Your insinuation that since the poor have cell phones,electricity, and running water and should just be happy with that is very telling.

Let them eat cake.

i'm an atheist so i don't take tax advice from a 200 year old fairy tale, but that's a different thread. what i am saying is that we sholdn't provide anything for people who are capable of providing for themselves. hunger would be a great motivating factor to get off you ass and make some changes in your life.

www.kjandmegan.com

I don't believe it is good for everybody but it pleases and benefits the underacheivers to hear such ideas and it is a great way for Obama to get the "poor" vote.
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.