AWL71

McCain temporarily suspending campaign.

I just heard on the radio that McCain is temporarily suspending his campaign and delaying Friday's debate to go back to Washington and work with his fellow senators to resolve the financial crisis. Kudos to McCain for doing this. I think it is a good move. I wonder how Obama will react? Thoughts.
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

You can predict how it will go. Senate Democrats will say it isn't needed, Obama has said he plans on going to the debate.

Stephanopolis reported yesterday that without McCain's support no bill will progress according to Dems and Reps.

Liberals are all over this as a cheap stunt.

He is doing what he said he would do and for that you have got to give him credit. I don't see that he had a choice.

Think he ought to send Palin to debate, her opening remark, "Senator McCain has asked me to come here in the interest of fair play. It is his thought that my presence will for this debate level the playing field regarding experience in Foreign Policy."

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

I think it shows he is more concerned with the crisis at hand than his campaign. And Obama still wants to go on with the debate. He stated in his press conference that his people can call him if he is needed. All he cares about is getting elected. Nothing else.
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

....Thoughts.

The old man is just relieved.
;)
That's what I thought. He's wiping the sweat off his brow right now. Why can't you have the bill in progress faxed to you while you are on the road or in the air? And they both have FUCKING JETS. Can't they debate and hop on their jets to vote in DC? The debate is about foreign policy not economics.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

I suppose so. I think the deadline for getting this financial aid deal passed is Friday. If McCain spends all his time working on that bill he would have no time to prepare for the debate so I can see where he is coming from. Pushing the debate back a week seems the right thing to do when our "leaders" are proposing a huge bailout.

. . . Why can't you have the bill in progress faxed to you while you are on the road or in the air? . . .

I'm guessing that you have never been in a position to be part of an intense and time sensitive negotiation. FAX? Really? When 80% of communication is non-verbal, you need to be there and look the other guys in the eye.

This Bail Out is a carreer breaker for every congressman on the hill and a lot of other bureaucrats and politicians - including the president. Those people are very anxious to make sure they are going to have political cover from the new guy in the big white house - party doesn't matter. They are going to feel much better about moving forward if someone is ready to step up and provide them some shade. That's why Obama should go as well.

. . . Why can't you have the bill in progress faxed to you while you are on the road or in the air? . . .

I'm guessing that you have never been in a position to be part of an intense and time sensitive negotiation. FAX? Really? When 80% of communication is non-verbal, you need to be there and look the other guys in the eye.

This Bail Out is a carreer breaker for every congressman on the hill and a lot of other bureaucrats and politicians - including the president. Those people are very anxious to make sure they are going to have political cover from the new guy in the big white house - party doesn't matter. They are going to feel much better about moving forward if someone is ready to step up and provide them some shade. That's why Obama should go as well.

does it really make a difference if Obama votes present or not present?;) let him continue and let the serious people make descisions. besides Obama would just be in the way of posibly something good happening.

EXACTLY. McCain is pulling some BS with this act. Delaying the bill one day or two even two weeks will not have a huge impact. Wall Street and these banks already know help is on the way. I'd rather have the Gov spend some time and hammer out all the details than rush something through just to appease the people. Plus I really want to hear what both Obama and McCain have to say on the economy, the current crisis and the long-term goals they have to fix it and prevent something like this from happening again. IMO if they really are serious they should get the likes of Buffet, Soros, and other top level financial gurus and ask for their opinion on this bill.

EXACTLY. McCain is pulling some BS with this act. Delaying the bill one day or two even two weeks will not have a huge impact. Wall Street and these banks already know help is on the way. I'd rather have the Gov spend some time and hammer out all the details than rush something through just to appease the people. Plus I really want to hear what both Obama and McCain have to say on the economy, the current crisis and the long-term goals they have to fix it and prevent something like this from happening again. IMO if they really are serious they should get the likes of Buffet, Soros, and other top level financial gurus and ask for their opinion on this bill.

So you have information that Bernanke doesn't have suggesting that 100 banks won't fail if they don't get it done soon?

I think it shows he is more concerned with the crisis at hand than his campaign.

I don't think so. I think the number one thing on his mind right now is getting elected, and I think he's just doing this as a political move to make it appear that solving this crisis is more important to him than getting elected.

And I think that getting elected is the number one thing on Obama's mind right now too. Sure, they're both concerned about the crisis, and they're both trying to figure out the best way to deal with it, but they're both doing everything they can to win this campaign at the moment.

It's a smart move for McCain though, because it will probably fool a lot of people into thinking, well, exactly what you just said. (Just my opinion, of course.)

I wonder how Obama will react? Thoughts.

He'll take a firm stand on the issue, and vote "present".

Pretty big statement considering that McCain is sitting at 64% missed votes in this congress. Do you remember when Bush went after Kerry for missing votes and how all the GOP sheep bashed him over that? Double Standard much? Speaking of double standards, McCain doesn't want golden parachutes for the Wallstreet idiots yet he has former CEO's on his staff that have gotten them. Of course he is getting paid for not doing his job right now as well.
Source:
http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/110/senate/vote-missers/

In other news, this was on Drudge:

EXCLUSIVE: LETTERMAN MOCKS MCCAIN CANCELLATION
Wed Sep 24 2008 17:41:58 ET

David Letterman tells audience that McCain called him today to tell him he had to rush back to DC to deal with the economy.

Then in the middle of the taping Dave got word that McCain was, in fact just down the street being interviewed by Katie Couric. Dave even cut over to the live video of the interview, and said, "Hey Senator, can I give you a ride home?"

Earlier in the show, Dave kept saying, "You don't suspend your campaign. This doesn't smell right. This isn't the way a tested hero behaves." And he joked: "I think someone's putting something in his metamucil."

"He can't run the campaign because the economy is cratering? Fine, put in your second string quarterback, Sara Palin. Where is she?"

"What are you going to do if you're elected and things get tough? Suspend being president? We've got a guy like that now!"

Developing...

And yes, today's move was nothing but grandstanding. I'm certain it will fail.
Here are 5 good reasons on why it's bullshit:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/24/mccain-wants-a-time-out_n_128991.html

And here is the real reason why:

Update: CNN reports McCain wants the debate moved to Oct. 2 if there’s no bailout deal by Friday. The vice presidential debate scheduled for that date would be rescheduled.

We should trust Bernanke because...?

.jim

- I know this one!
Because yesterday Bernanke said (and I'm paraphrasing here:)

"The average middle-class American just doesn't know how much what happens on Wall Street affects their daily lives." [:/]

I wanted to break something.

Anyone else heard this/have a link?

To the topic, I think McCain is incredibly arrogant/grandstanding. I bet a lot of his fellow senators/congresspeople who've been working long hours for many days (putting off their own campaigns) are pissed as hell at this development.

I dunno, I think we all understand that campaigning for Prez is more than a full-time job. So now McCain is abandoning his campaign, going back to DC; is going to ride in at sunset with his cavalry and help save us all? They can't sort this out or muck it up without this one guy?

I'm strictly nonpartisan/have been undecided, but if Fri's debate doesn't happen because McCain decided WAY too late to care about this mess, he just lost my vote.

I think it shows he is more concerned with the crisis at hand than his campaign.

Wow, right on message. Excellent discipline; you almost said it with a straight face.
When you're alone, do you make sure nobody's watching, then look in the mirror and burst out laughing?

How does one campaign for the Presidency and do the job of a Senator? By saying in public, "I'm suspending my campaign to be a Senator."

He's gotten more press in the last ten hours than the last ten days put together.

A steely-eyed political man, he is. Two birds with one stone.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Shouldn't a qualified presidential candidate be able to multitask and manage time effectively enough that there should be no need to reschedule the debate?

If he can't handle doing his job as 1/100th of one half of one branch of the federal government without crying about time constraints, how can we trust him to be effective in a role that would make effectively make him a branch of government all by himself?
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

A steely-eyed political man, he is.

Yes, he is. And I must say that this is the most entertaining election that I can recall in my lifetime, largely thanks to McCain. But I don't necessarily want to be "entertained" by him and Palin for the next four to eight years, so I do hope that they don't win. (Not that I expect Obama and Biden to be perfect either, but I think that they're probably a better choice.)