birdlike

Shooting in Finnish school

I thought the Europeans were not plagued by the problems that we cowboy-Americans suffer...

Shooting in Finnish school

This part has me wondering... "She says the man used a 22-millimeter caliber handgun in Tuesday's attack. Holmlund says he got the license for the gun in August.."

WTF is a "22-millimeter caliber handgun"?!

.866 CALIBER??!! :o

Well, it's not an .88 Magnum, at least. We know that the .88 shoots through schools; this .866 shot within one, so at least people outside the school weren't endangered.
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

Holmlund says he got the license for the gun in August.."

Loonies and guns don't mix.

I don't know squat about Finnish gun laws, and don't have the time or inclination right now to look it up.

But I have a suspicion that in Europe it's a lot closer to your fantasy about having all the mental health records and vetting available before a gun is sold to a "loonie," Kallend. And still this guy got one. The police had him in custody related to his posting of his target shooting practice. They let him go. Why? Did he seem to be a loonie or not? If he was there with the police and they couldn't see that he was a loonie, what other records check could have kept him from getting a gun?
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

You do know not that much about guns/handguns/calibers, do you)
Cal. .22 LR often is used for close season hand guns/guns.
That guy used a Walther P22.

Actually, he does - that's why he's questioning the news story which lists the gun as a 22-millimeter, which can't be correct - no such handgun exists.

It's the news story which got the identification of the caliber incorrect, not birdlike.

You apparently don't know the difference between millimeters and caliber.

You do know not that much about guns/handguns/calibers, do you)
Cal. .22 LR often is used for close season hand guns/guns.
That guy used a Walther P22.

Actually, he does - that's why he's questioning the news story which lists the gun as a 22-millimeter, which can't be correct - no such handgun exists.

It's the news story which got the identification of the caliber incorrect, not birdlike.

You apparently don't know the difference between millimeters and caliber.

WTF is a "22-millimeter caliber handgun"?

Are you kidding me? What is to be misunderstood in the word "... calibre ...." handgun?

You had a look at the provided link? It's not only showing the calibre description but, the metering rule too, which is 22 mm. Even the dumbest reader of the link will understand these explanations.

Perhaps there are folks at the side of your pond who do not know the "millimeter". That would explain a bit more.

Just for reference: In Sept. 1988, I received my license, I'm still an active hunter and know well where there is the difference between millimeter and caliber (which rarely is the same).

But, in this case it's just called cal .22, and it's 22 mm.
About what do you want to argue?

Just explain to Jeffrey and his world is OK then.

:|

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Your the one who must be kidding and hasn't figured out caliber!

"Caliber" refers to the DIAMETER of the bullet (or more correctly probably the bore of the barrell), NOT the length of the cartridge!

.22 Long Rifle is 0.22 INCHES in DIAMETER. And the ones shown in the photo on wiki are longer than 22mm anyway!

Some calibers ARE given in mm. 5.56mm for instance is 0.223 inches. It is called 5.56x45 (45 is the length!) when made as a military round. It is called .223 REM in its civilian version (not idential rounds but close).

So you may have .17 .22, 7.62mm .357, 9mm, 10mm, .40, .45 caliber pistols. The ones with decimal points are in hundreths of an inch. The one with mm behind them are in mm.

The reporter made a mistake and called a .22 caliber pistol a 22 mm caliber pistol. There is no modern pistol with a caliber this big. There might have been a 16th century hand cannon but that's not what he used.;)

You might try looking at the bottom of the wiki link to see the dimensions.

Where'd you get that license?:P

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Can you point out where it says that? I'm not seeing it.

You mean this:

She says the man used a 22-millimeter caliber handgun in Tuesday's attack. Holmlund says he got the license for the gun in August.

It's from Jeffrey's link. JR is incorrect: The gun was not "listed as a 22-millimeter". It's described as "a 22 mm caliber handgun", which is quite common. At least for me.

:)

dudeist skydiver # 3105

from the article:

She says the man used a 22-millimeter caliber handgun in Tuesday's attack. Holmlund says he got the license for the gun in August.

Holy shit, the bullets would be nearly an inch in diameter!:o That would do some serious damage!

By the way, 0.22 times one inch would be 5.6 millimeters. Not 22 millimeters.

But WTF would I know.:P
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

It's from Jeffrey's link. JR is incorrect: The gun was not "listed as a 22-millimeter". It's described as "a 22 mm caliber handgun", which is quite common. At least for me.

OK, then what does the "mm" stand for in that phrase?
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

[It's from Jeffrey's link. JR is incorrect: The gun was not "listed as a 22-millimeter". It's described as "a 22 mm caliber handgun", which is quite common. At least for me.

Your digging yourself deeper and deeper. Try again. It is NOT a 22 mm caliber handgun you shoot. It is a .22 LR handgun with a bullet DIAMETER of 0.22 inches.:S

But none of this matters, the ten students are just as dead.:|
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

--
Where'd you get that license?:P

A quick glance into my profile, there it is: Germany.

Like I said: Caliber and mm are rarely the same. Was that proper English or not? Where didn't you understand that short sentence?

Also, you should read a bit closer: "Even for the dumbest reader ...." An example for our shocked Jeffrey about "22 millimeters":ph34r: Hint: metering rule.

Jesus, how clever do you guys think you are??

:ph34r:

dudeist skydiver # 3105

I saw Germany. That's why I tried to be patient and explain it. Your still wrong.

What do you not understand about the fact that there is no 22 mm CALIBER handgun?

Caliber and mm ARE OFTEN the same. See my previous post. 7.62 mm, 9 mm, 10 mm are all pistol CALIBERS in mm.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

sorry, I'm a gun noob here. (never owned one)

but what does the "mm" mean then? Because I (and some others here who have more familiarity with guns than I do) see "mm" and assume it stands for "millimeters."

"mm" has nothing special to do with hunting. It's just millimeter. Like you said.

In actual thread it should have been from the beginning "length of bullet itself" in mm, would've spared some posters some cardiac fibrillation :ph34r: but,

simply: mm = millimeter. You can use it for measuring bullets, cars, d*cks etc. :P

;)

dudeist skydiver # 3105

BUT it's not the LENGTH of the bullet. IT's the DIAMETER!!!

(shaking head)

One last try. .22 long rifle refers to the caliber in inches. The leading zero is dropped by convention. The '.' translates to a ',' in German. 0.22 inches or in European 0,22 inches. 22 mm CALIBER does not exist!

From someone who has been shooting .22 LR since I was 10, 40 years ago. (god I'm old[:/])

Try this one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caliber

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

BUT it's not the LENGTH of the bullet. IT's the DIAMETER!!!

Holy Bullet! In "this actual" case, it was just trying to expain to little unexperienced Jeffrey: There is a thing you can use for shooting which is 22 mm (or more) long! Is that so difficult?

Read his very first post, dear old man, please ...

:P

If not go on raving about calibers, lenths, weights, diameters, muzlle enegiers (oh wait: that was not you!) and all other important things for daily life - I have to go and clean and caress my .22 lfB now.

dudeist skydiver # 3105

I thought the Europeans were not plagued by the problems that we cowboy-Americans suffer...

Finnish gun laws are probably the most liberal in Europe. I belive you can by a handgun at the age of 15. The number of guns per capita is twice that of most other European countries.

/Martin