BillyVance

McCain's first wife

I didn't know the story until recently. It spread around via email a few days ago and Snopes verified it.

McCain was married with 3 children to his first wife when he became a POW. She stayed true to him and waited for his return. However, she had a bad car accident that left her disfigured and crippled. When John came back home, he immediately started playing the field and when he found Cindy, started divorce proceedings. And the rest is history.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/mccain/carol.asp

Great, now I'm stuck. I don't trust either Obama or McCain. Oh well, guess I'll vote for Ron Paul. :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Well, Snopes confirmed that an article was written, and parts of it were circulated. The rest of the summary provides a bit more perspective. Including this quote from his ex-wife:

...and that in a portion of the Daily Mail article referenced above (which was not included in the excerpt circulating via e-mail), Carol McCain is quoted as saying of her former husband: "He's a good guy. We are still good friends. He is the best man for president."

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Well, Snopes confirmed that an article was written, and parts of it were circulated. The rest of the summary provides a bit more perspective. Including this quote from his ex-wife:

...and that in a portion of the Daily Mail article referenced above (which was not included in the excerpt circulating via e-mail), Carol McCain is quoted as saying of her former husband: "He's a good guy. We are still good friends. He is the best man for president."

Bless her heart. I can't imagine being able to forgive my SO for forsaking me if I were in her place.

I do prefer McCain over Obama as POTUS. I just hope McCain knows the mistakes he made in the past and won't make them again.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

It is a sad state of affairs when all we have are these two losers from the R's and D's to vote for. Obviously the most qualified and intelligent people are smart enough to not run for POTUS. At least the independents have agreed on four important issues that they would like to openly debate with the two major parties. Ron Paul is who I may vote for as well.

"Mans got to know his limitations"
Harry Callahan

It is a sad state of affairs when all we have are these two losers from the R's and D's to vote for.

That old "folk wisdom" has been around for over 100 years. Thing is, it's really not all that true. Frankly, when you look at all the people who have run for President, whether they've won or lost (and that even includes all the really serious contenders in the primaries), I'd say long-term history would judge 9 out of 10 of them to have been pretty f-ing remarkable people.

Come to think of it, that's a pretty good idea for a non-fiction book.

I don't think the marital perfidy of JFK, LBJ, Reagan, Clinton or Dole had any bearing on their qualifications to be President - and that includes "character" and "judgment". I feel the same way about McCain. The only reason I feel John Edwards' fling does disqualify him is not because he strayed, but because he did so in 2006, when he was running for President and knew he'd be under intense scrutiny - his ignoring of that political reality demonstrated terrible judgment.

I just hope McCain knows the mistakes he made in the past and won't make them again.

Hes making them again, right now! He said he would run a smear free campaign with no negative adds and that is the opposite of what he is doing.

He sold out the mother of his kids when she was at her worst (I took that from the marriage vow "for better or worse") What do you think he would do to all of us when confronted with the ethical fork in the road as president?

If he wasnt running for president, you didnt know if he was a R or a D, he were just some dude at the DZ and heard that story about him doing that to another person what would you think of him?? Would you even vote for him to run you club at the DZ?
take a deep breath, relax and don't clinch your teeth together, it will all be over in a couple of minutes...

Does anyone know what percentage of married POW's get divorced after returning home? I suspect the number is extremely high.

Most of them lost their wives while they were in captivty but only found out about it when they got home. I think the rate was somewhere around 50 to 70%.

I found a corroborating book

http://books.google.com/books?id=7PLWKWsrEnUC&pg=PA145&lpg=PA145&dq=Vietnam+POW+divorce&source=web&ots=WvGFMl_pRc&sig=v3fTjE1CDkE0FZqXbSxpEjCUZB0&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result

Carol insists she remains on good terms with her ex-husband, who agreed as part of their divorce settlement to pay her medical costs for life. ‘I have no bitterness,’

she says. ‘My accident is well recorded. I had 23 operations, I am five inches shorter than I used to be and I was in hospital for six months. It was just awful, but it wasn’t the reason for my divorce.

‘My marriage ended because John McCain didn’t want to be 40, he wanted to be 25. You know that happens...it just does.’
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1024927/The-wife-John-McCain-callously-left-behind.html

People get divorced for alot of reasons. You can look at this one area and say "that must be why". There's always more to the story.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

I don't think the marital perfidy of JFK, LBJ, Reagan, Clinton or Dole had any bearing on their qualifications to be President - and that includes "character" and "judgment". I feel the same way about McCain. The only reason I feel John Edwards' fling does disqualify him is not because he strayed, but because he did so in 2006, when he was running for President and knew he'd be under intense scrutiny - his ignoring of that political reality demonstrated terrible judgment.

McCain did it while an active duty naval officer, a breach of the UCMJ.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Not like infidelity is illegal anywhere either....
There are plenty of successful business leaders that have trouble making a relationship work, only the two people in the relationship know the true story anyway.
"Conduct unbecoming" is not a black and white clear cut violation either.
People make mistakes, none of us are perfect.

My ex made plenty of mistakes. :P

McCain did it while an active duty naval officer, a breach of the UCMJ.

Eisenhower also did it while an active duty officer. Both Gore and Kerry smoked pot while in Vietnam. All violations of the UCMJ. Still immaterial to the Presidency.

Nice spin job.. its still slimy...she was not one of the wives who left while hs was a POW.

I still believe that politcians personal lives are not really fair game.. unlike some people.
I do make an exception when a Senator who opposes homosexuality in his votes.... then gets arrested for soliciting men in a bathroom.. sorry.. but in trying to force HIS gult ridden morality on others...he is more than fair game. That seems to be a trait recently of your party.. do as I say not as I do behind closeted doors

Nice spin job.. its still slimy...she was not one of the wives who left while hs was a POW.

I still believe that politcians personal lives are not really fair game.. unlike some people.
I do make an exception when a Senator who opposes homosexuality in his votes.... then gets arrested for soliciting men in a bathroom.. sorry.. but in trying to force HIS gult ridden morality on others...he is more than fair game. That seems to be a trait recently of your party.. do as I say not as I do behind closeted doors

Tell me which part of my statement is spin? I agree it's slimy. So was getting a blowjob from an intern and sticking a cigar in her pussy, while claiming his administration would be the most ethical in the history of the Republic.

Do you really want to get into citing examples of slimy acts of politicians?

Destinations by Roxanne

Why dont you take a long look in the mirror and START with YOUR current administration that promised so much and delivered so little instead of having to go back to the trite CDIF.. as usual.

Why dont you take a long look in the mirror and START with YOUR current administration that promised so much and delivered so little instead of having to go back to the trite CDIF.. as usual.

Nice redirect. I beleive that's #33 in the handbook.

You have to remember that nobody but your adversaries, real or imagined are ever to blame for anything and no one should ever be accountable or held responsible for their words or actions - they're just misunderstood or some such sociological mumbo-jumbo. Blaming without offering solutions is the typical modus operandi of Elitist Leftwing Liberals. http://alohahawaii.home.att.net/leftwing.html

Destinations by Roxanne

You have to remember that nobody but your adversaries, real or imagined are ever to blame for anything and no one should ever be accountable or held responsible for their words or actions

Spoken like a true BUSH deadender...

Ummm...I think you missed with that one.

Destinations by Roxanne

It is a sad state of affairs when all we have are these two losers from the R's and D's to vote for. Obviously the most qualified and intelligent people are smart enough to not run for POTUS.

That's exactly what the small remaining rest of the world is thinking - at least over here in my little continent.

(And additionally, these idiotic trench warfares actually going on are not helping at all.) Ridiculous.

:S

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Hes making them again, right now! He said he would run a smear free campaign with no negative adds and that is the opposite of what he is doing.

And Obama promised the same thing and is doing the same thing. Stalemate!