Gawain

A Very Fine Speech

Quite the different tone from Sen. Obama's and the crescendo at the end was just what Sen. McCain needed.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I didn't watch the whole thing....My GF had it on in the other room and I paid some attention.

He is not a great speaker. I did find it a shame that people felt they had to try and interrupt him. I thought the "ground clutter and static" line was a good way to deal with it.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I did like his speech. One point he touched on was about schools. We have this little thing called tenure, that prevents us from getting rid of bad teachers. Run the damn schools like private corporations as far as teacher performance goes, and you weed out the riff raff. Although he didn't go into that much detail. I can't wait for the debates.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Meh. I've watched enough poor speeches over the last 8 years. And the crescendo of "fight! fight! fight! fight!" was spot on stereotypical. I'd rather have a great orator and statesman than another cowboy who can't even appear sincere and who's already looking for a fight. My favorite part of the speech (on PBS) was 10 seconds after McCain encouraged people to teach an illiterate adult to read, when they showed someone waving around a sign that said, "The Mavrick!" :D I believed in McCain in 2000 and would have voted for him over Gore, but the Republicans decided GWB was better, so I didn't get that choice. 8 years later, all of which involved him getting more in line with his party, I certainly don't want someone WORSE than the Shrub. And if it's at all possible, his fake smile is even less sincere than Bush's smirk. I appreciate his service to this country, but am not particularly interested in the brand he's selling now.

Though I think McCain made a smart choice with Palin (assuming the scandals can be handled), Quade made a good point...she's upstaging the top of the ticket, and I suspect that it will take a deliberate effort to keep that from continuing.

Blues,
Dave

"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

No glamour in the speech. Dammit.

It is gonna be...

This week on UFC 2008 - UNLEASHED
Biden v. McCain
Palin v. Obama

Your citizenship pays for the whole seat in front of the TV, but you'll only need the EDGE EDge edge...

I was hoping to see Palin v. Obama as 1 on 1 basketball, actually.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

No glamour in the speech. Dammit.

It is gonna be...

This week on UFC 2008 - UNLEASHED
Biden v. McCain
Palin v. Obama

Your citizenship pays for the whole seat in front of the TV, but you'll only need the EDGE EDge edge...

I was hoping to see Palin v. Obama as 1 on 1 basketball, actually.

She will kill him. She was quite the bulldog on the court in high school. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I believed in McCain in 2000 and would have voted for him over Gore, but the Republicans decided GWB was better, so I didn't get that choice.

Yes.

This is what I didn't understand.
Why The FUCK did the Republicans think that Bush was better than McCain?

Hell, if the Republicans had stuck with McCain in 2000, they wouldn't have had to resort to all that poll sabotage in the 2000 election. McCain would have fairly beat our Gore, and wouldn't have had to cheat to do it!

:S
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Quite the different tone from Sen. Obama's and the crescendo at the end was just what Sen. McCain needed.

What a dull speech, the Rs are really nice giving him that applause.

It will be responsible for a minor downward blip in US births in 9 months due to the state of mind it induced.

When he laughs hard I keep on thinking he is going to croak, it was the only thing that kept me awake.

She will kill him. She was quite the bulldog on the court in high school. :D

I believe you mean "quite the barracuda," but in any case, Obama is actually still quite good at basketball and I'm nearly certain that in a 1 on 1 she'd lose pretty badly. Not that we're ever going to see that.

High school Obama http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYCEnVmNkpE

Current Obama http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daH0ltD20A0 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mimaNFEbg6U

What do you have on Palin?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I thought it was an excellent speech. I was touched by his opening up about his years as a POW and how it affected him. He admitted he'd been broken. He had an epiphany...who wouldn't? How he couldn't feed himself and would have died if his fellow captives hadn't taken care of him.

It goes to character. I think McCain has character Obama can't even come close to.

Thia April will be 5 years since my divorce. It's been difficult but I can't imagine the same amount of time in Hanoi. I don't think I could do it. I doubt many of us could.

He's an "imperfect servant". He knows many in his own party don't care for him. He admitted the Reps and Dems had failed the American people. I truly believe he'll do great things to change that.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

I thought it was an excellent speech. I was touched by his opening up about his years as a POW and how it affected him. He admitted he'd been broken. He had an epiphany...who wouldn't? How he couldn't feed himself and would have died if his fellow captives hadn't taken care of him.

It goes to character. I think McCain has character Obama can't even come close to.

Thia April will be 5 years since my divorce. It's been difficult but I can't imagine the same amount of time in Hanoi. I don't think I could do it. I doubt many of us could.

He's an "imperfect servant". He knows many in his own party don't care for him. He admitted the Reps and Dems had failed the American people. I truly believe he'll do great things to change that.

So the guy who votes with Bush +90% of the time, and has himself been part of the PROBLEM he identifies for +20 years, is going to be the agent of change?

Anyone who believes that is an imbecile.

(I expect they also believed Bush when he promised no nation building, and a small and short term deficit - suckers!)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I think McCain has character Obama can't even come close to.

Maybe if Michelle Obama is disfigured in a car accident, we'll find out.

I know somehow Obama had the smarts and character to excel in school, and McCain didn't.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

So the guy who votes with Bush +90% of the time, and has himself been part of the PROBLEM he identifies for +20 years, is going to be the agent of change?

As opposed to Obama not voting at all 45% of the time he's been a Senator?
http://www.votesmart.org/voting_category.php?can_id=9490

In the late 90's McCain voted to overide GWB's veto on 2 seperate occasions. That's not simply voting with Bush, that's in your face trying to overide GWB's veto. It's not just the votes and you know it. He's crossed the aisle on many occasions and pissed off quite a few people in his own party doing it. Anyone remember the illegal immigrant flack a few years back? They were ready to crucify him. Now it turns out he wasn't far off the mark with his stand.

How about the surge? No one wants to talk about that. Character. "I'd rather lose an election than have my country lose a war."

Harry Reid "This war is lost." People who find it easier to cave than fight. People who won't risk their political standing to do the right thing.

He knows his days on earth are numbered. He knows there's more he can do. And he has little to lose trying.

Destinations by Roxanne

I know somehow Obama had the smarts and character to excel in school, and McCain didn't.

Blues,
Dave

I know many people who accelled academically that I wouldn't want running the country. Obama's Ivy League education doesn't qualify him in my opinion. In fact, for me it makes him suspect. Universities have been a hotbed of left wing thinking for years. I think Obama their prodigal son.

Destinations by Roxanne

I think the other part of the speech that appealed to me was his comments about the Republican party losing the trust. The arena got awfully silent during parts of his speech which mean to me he was really on point.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

So the guy who votes with Bush +90% of the time

I hear a good majority of these are thing like calls to order or similar to this. I would like to see the percentage of Obama voting with Bush so we have a comparison, but it think it is probably over 50% so Obama does not want to advertise it as it would take some of the bite out of this argument.

Blues,
Dave

I know many people who accelled academically that I wouldn't want running the country. Obama's Ivy League education doesn't qualify him in my opinion. In fact, for me it makes him suspect. Universities have been a hotbed of left wing thinking for years. I think Obama their prodigal son.

Do you feel the same way about GWB? At least Obama earned his way into Harvard, rather than have daddy pave the way.

When McCain's wife was disfigured in a car accident, he cheated on her, then left her for a younger, wealthier woman.

When McCain was in school, he fucked off rather than trying to succeed.

Obama hasn't left his wife. Obama put some effort into his schooling and succeeded.

I'm mostly playing devil's advocate here. With some exceptions, I think McCain is a decent enough man. I just don't think you have any standing to say that McCain has character and Obama doesn't.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

Anyone who believes that is an imbecile.

(I expect they also believed Bush when he promised no nation building, and a small and short term deficit - suckers!)

This is honestly one of the dumbest and most idiotic things that I have heard at the DNCC and in the talking points over the last couple of months as the Democrats try and tie McCain as the third term for Bush. It is an effective campaign attempt but it does not make any sense.

Has it occurred to you that George Bush doesn’t have a vote in the Senate? So just how do you measure the percentage of times that McCain is voting “with” the president? Well, perhaps you could measure the number of times that a Senator votes with the Republican members. Ahhh … but remember, most Senate votes are unanimous. This would mean that the only way not to “vote with the president” would be not to vote at all. As Dick Morris wrote: “The fact that McCain backs commending a basketball team on its victory doesn’t mean that he is in lockstep ideologically with the president.”

Morris also points out a series of important issues on which Bush and McCain did not agree:

McCain fought for campaign finance reform — McCain-Feingold — that Bush resisted and ultimately signed because he had no choice.
McCain led the battle to restrict interrogation techniques of terror suspects and to ban torture.
McCain went with Joe Lieberman on a tough measure to curb climate change, something Bush denies is going on.
McCain opposed the Bush tax cuts when they passed.
McCain urged the Iraq surge, a posture Bush rejected for years before conceding its wisdom.
McCain favors FDA regulation of tobacco and sponsored legislation to that effect, a position all but a handful of Republican senators oppose.
McCain’s energy bill, also with Lieberman, is a virtual blueprint for energy independence and development of alternate sources.
After the Enron scandal, McCain introduced sweeping reforms in corporate governance and legislation to guarantee pensions and prohibit golden parachutes for executives. Bush opposed McCain’s changes and the watered-down Sarbanes-Oxley bill eventuated.
McCain has been harshly critical of congressional overspending, particularly of budgetary earmarks, a position Bush only lately adopted (after the Democrats took over Congress).
Using the same methodology you would probably find that most Democrat senators also voted with Bush 90% of the time.
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

When given a choice between Bush and McCain, your party chose Bush.

What does that say about McCain? OR your party's collective judgment?

Unfortunately you view the issue as black and white. It's not. You view GWB's presidency as a complete failure. I do not. You see only the bad. I see some of both. I would have thought an educated man would have balance. Ability to see all sides. You are blinded by hatred for GWB. People who see things in black and white scare me.

Destinations by Roxanne

At the end of McCain's speech, when all the balloons came down, they played "Barracuda" by Heart.

What was the significance of this?

Also, here is a response by Heart's Nancy Wilson:

Exclusive: Heart's Nancy Wilson responds to McCain campaign's use of 'Barracuda' at Republican convention
Sep 5, 2008, 01:44 AM | by Whitney Pastorek

Categories: Current Affairs, Music, Music Biz

Thursday afternoon, Heart e-mailed out a statement regarding vice-presidential candidate Sarah "Barracuda" Palin's use of their similarly monikered song at the Republican National Convention: "The Republican campaign did not ask for permission to use the song, nor would they have been granted that permission," it read. "We have asked the Republican campaign publicly not to use our music. We hope our wishes will be honored."

But after McCain finished his speech accepting the GOP's presidential nomination tonight, Palin joined him on stage, and the song was used again: Heart's "Barracuda" played as balloons fell. With that elephant in the room, Heart's Nancy Wilson felt compelled to personally respond. "I think it's completely unfair to be so misrepresented," she said in a phone call to EW.com after the speech. "I feel completely f---ed over." She and sister Ann Wilson then e-mailed the following exclusive statement:

"Sarah Palin's views and values in NO WAY represent us as American women. We ask that our song 'Barracuda' no longer be used to promote her image. The song 'Barracuda' was written in the late 70s as a scathing rant against the soulless, corporate nature of the music business, particularly for women. (The 'barracuda' represented the business.) While Heart did not and would not authorize the use of their song at the RNC, there's irony in Republican strategists' choice to make use of it there."
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately you view the issue as black and white. It's not. You view GWB's presidency as a complete failure. I do not. You see only the bad. I see some of both. I would have thought an educated man would have balance. Ability to see all sides. You are blinded by hatred for GWB. People who see things in black and white scare me.

My view isn't limited to black and white. And GWB is one of the darkest grey motherfuckers I've ever seen! :D

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

It seems that a large majority of Americans agree with my view of Bush (lowest approval rating of ANY president ever). Even McCain distances himself from Bush (only 8 minutes at the RNC for a sitting president!).

Since the GOP's considered opinion (verified by ballot in 2000) is that Bush is better suited to be president than McCain, we're all in trouble.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

It seems that a large majority of Americans agree with my view of Bush (lowest approval rating of ANY president ever). Even McCain distances himself from Bush (only 8 minutes at the RNC for a sitting president!).

Since the GOP's considered opinion (verified by ballot in 2000) is that Bush is better suited to be president than McCain, we're all in trouble.

and things have changed in 8 years. McCain is more popular and Bush is less popular. There has been a terrorist attack, and a war since then...Maybe that affected the opinion of both.