pop

When does the soul enter a body?

My brother three times in his life had dreams which played out in real life within a week. How is that possible? It happened but our society has not been able to show proof for these types of things, because you cant really quantify these events. Science is designed to measure and experiment. How the hell do you measure a dream? We can pinpoint where chemicals for dreams are made - pineal gland. We can show figures about the chemicals that are firing during sleep - melatonin, DMT. But none of these figures explain the contents of a dream.

And I agree...healthy amount of skepticism is good!!! If we didnt question things these forums would be BORING!!!!

Which, depending on his age, probably means he has had hundreds, maybe thousands of weeks when his dreams did not play out. Kind of takes the oogie-boogie out of it, huh?

Events quantified.

Not all dreams exist for the purpose of foretelling. Scientists currently believe for example that the reason why we get a recurring dreams is because it is a way for our mind to resolve some issue that is bothering it. When it cannot resolve the issue the dreams reacurrs. You have to pick what you are quantifying. Dreams have more than one purpose, at least thats what the scientific journals are pointing to.
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

Who said there is a soul?

BTW how are you Pop? I have been thinking about you and your family since this Russian/Georgian debacle broke out.

My brotha!!!! Im well I have a 9 month all now believe it or not. He rocks. This shuold probably be a PM, but fuk it.
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

The proof will be when it happens, but it most certainly will happen in the not too distant future.

Do you think things like psychology and sociology will eventually loose their value in society?

No. Why would they? We're still going to have essentially the same brains we do now and they'll still be susceptible to damaging thoughts and ideas acquired in childhood.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I think that your question presupposes the "soul" exists. Something there is no evidence of at all.

Beat me to it.

We're just a bunch of chemical and electrical impulses. When we die, we're just dead, period. There is no soul left over to go to heaven or hell.

OMG i agree with JR on something.. "Electric Meat" thats you and me, get used to it....
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

We're just a bunch of chemical and electrical impulses. When we die, we're just dead, period. There is no soul left over to go to heaven or hell
OMG i agree with JR on something.. "Electric Meat" thats you and me, get used to it ***

Pretty silly statement. It doesn't take much of an introspective look to see that we are a lot more than the sum of our parts.

it is my opinion that the soul enters the body as the sperm enters the egg. This is Gods creation and he thinks of everything!-Remember this is my opinion and it is okay to think I am an idiot, it is the spirit of SC.:)

I've learned.... That being kind is more important than being
right.

There is no evidence of a sould existing in the traditional sense hence the question is meaningles..

However if we redefine the soul as the mind then the question become smore meanigful. But there is still a problem, it assumes there is a single moment of creation of the mind. Isn't it more likely that its more of a continum? After all a new born human child has less congitive abilities than an adult chimpanzee. Similarly as old age sets congitive ability is often lost in humans too.

IMHO without a soul we are just organic machinery

Kinda tough pill to swallow, ain't it?

Fortunately, we humans have such sophisticated brains, that we can deceive ourselves into believing that we have a separate, immortal existence, so that we don't have to cope with death. Next, we make up an invisible guy in the sky, so that we can try to understand why we feel weird emotions, and to justify our existence. Ultimately, we superimpose our delusional ideals on everyone else, so that we don't have to feel bad when we kill them.

But mother nature has us beat - we're still able to reproduce faster than we can kill each other.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

IMHO without a soul we are just organic machinery Kinda tough pill to swallow, ain't it?
Fortunately, we humans have such sophisticated brains, that we can deceive ourselves into believing that we have a separate, immortal existence, so that we don't have to cope with death. Next, we make up an invisible guy in the sky, so that we can try to understand why we feel weird emotions, and to justify our existence. Ultimately, we superimpose our delusional ideals on everyone else, so that we don't have to feel bad when we kill them.
But mother nature has us beat - we're still able to reproduce faster than we can kill each other***

Good Grief. What a depressive philosophy, especially when you have no proof to back up your conclusions other that your own preconceived agenda and personal bias.

Good Grief. What a depressive philosophy, especially when you have no proof to back up your conclusions other that your own preconceived agenda and personal bias.

And you have proof that we have a soul? How about proof in God? I'll gladly change my opinions if you show me something concrete. Really, I would be happy to be immortal, it's a nice fantasy. Just show me proof.

I don't think atheism is depressing - when you form a belief that there is no afterlife, it makes you take your life (and others lives) less for granted.

And you have proof that we have a soul? How about proof in God? I'll gladly change my opinions if you show me something concrete. Really, I would be happy to be immortal, it's a nice fantasy. Just show me proof.

What would it take? How about if somebody died, and then came back from the dead and told us what they had seen?

What would it take? How about if somebody died, and then came back from the dead and told us what they had seen?

You know that wouldn't work...nothing would ever work. There is no "proof" There can't be any proof. Besides, God is perfect remember, he never leaves proof behind. It's the perfect crime and they'll never catch Him. Sometimes you just gotta believe He did it.....;)
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

How about if somebody died, and then came back from the dead and told us what they had seen?

What if someone took an LSD trip and said they talked to Jesus? Would that be proof?

Personally, I've had surgery on general anethesia, and there was no "white light". It was blacker than a steer's tuckus on a moonless prairie night.

IMHO without a soul we are just organic machinery

Kinda tough pill to swallow, ain't it?

But mother nature has us beat - we're still able to reproduce faster than we can kill each other.

+1 :)
I hate crutches, never liked em when i broke my ankle, certainly dont need em as a moral code or for fear of the unknown. Reality isn't always the easiest thing to accept...
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

Why would we have a desire for spirtuality (& hence a need to make something up)?

Boggles my mind, but for the vast majority i guess they find they need something to try to make sense of a chaotic world. I will never understand that need, but power to ya if it's your thang; just ain't mine.
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983