shropshire

Gas prices rise by 35% in the U.K

Bloody hell!!! This is going to cause problems for a lot of people this winter!!!

British Gas owner Centrica says it is raising gas prices by a record 35% and electricity prices by 9%.

The UK's biggest domestic energy supplier said that the price hikes would take place with immediate effect.

clicky

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Relief is only a decade away.

A serious investment in nuclear power is needed within the next year or two across all developed nations, and those who can get safely operational first will enjoy significant economic advantages. Unfortunately my country doesn't yet seem to recognize this.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I believe there are similar jumps (or greater) in many US gas/electric companies as well.

It used to be that getting gas appliances and heating made sense - it was less than half as expensive as electric equilivents. But that's certainly not true anymore.

I do wish, however, that I had a gas stove, rather than this crappy electric thing.

A serious investment in nuclear power is needed within the next year or two across all developed nations, and those who can get safely operational first will enjoy significant economic advantages. Unfortunately my country doesn't yet seem to recognize this.

Blues,
Dave

Nuclear energy provides many advantages over current production methods. There is little or no evidence yet the cost will be one of them.

Nuclear energy provides many advantages over current production methods. There is little or no evidence yet the cost will be one of them.

We're going to have to pay a lot for energy, no matter where we get it at this point, so it makes sense to pay for clean energy. Nuclear power, not offshore drilling, is our best short-term and mid-term energy source. Very low emission, decent power output, sustainable for decades.

At some point in the future, probably solar, wind, geo-thermal and even hydrogen (from water, not oil) will be much more feasible. Nuclear can get us to that point, but the oil companies will fight it every step.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I did some ringing around today and will probably be putting in a Multi-fuel (wood/coal) stove in, with a back boiler... The prices look good .. just need to find a suitable builder in our area.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I don't think you'll find the same wild cost fluctuations with nuclear based power. Yet, uranium has had a recent boom-bust cycle, but I believe the infrastructure is a much greater portion of the costs.

I don't think it'll be less costly in the short-term, but as hydrocarbon supplies dwindle and demand increases, I think energy costs will favor those countries who have invested substantially in nuclear power. Of course that's just a guess on my part. ;)

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Sorry shropshire, just saw your question now.
Natural gas = $16.02 p/gcf
up 34.89% from January 08 (USD)
Gasoline = teetering between $4.60 & $5.00 p/gal (USD)
electricity = $9.93 p/kwh
up 23.14% January 08 (USD)
And friday's papers announced
Consolidated Edison G&E
Hudson G&E
ConPowr
requesting an immediate gas rate hike of another 25 - 30% or more
& 9% or higher increase for electric.
with most other power & gas providers of course immediately following suit. >:(

G R E E D Y
F * C K E R S

It's pretty pathetic when you have to TELL people you're fucking cool Skymama «narrative»This thread will lock in 3..2.. What a load of narrow-minded Xenophobic Bullshit!-squeak

Regular gas prices at the pump, along with diesel and ethanol, have declined for the 13th straight day, a daily survey of filling station credit card swipes showed. The average price for regular has fallen 18.8 cents since hitting a record high of $4.11 at the pump on July 16.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/07/30/news/economy/gasoline/index.htm

electricity = $9.93 p/kwh
You shure thats right, an not $0.993. Here in Spain I'm paying $0.051kWh
an thats expensive.

Sorry that's a typo should have read $9.93 p/ckwh as my bill does.
ckwh = 100kwh so yes its actually $0.0993 p/kwh sorry for the confusion. (still crazy expensive)
It's pretty pathetic when you have to TELL people you're fucking cool Skymama «narrative»This thread will lock in 3..2.. What a load of narrow-minded Xenophobic Bullshit!-squeak