skittles_of_SDC

Do extremely religious people piss you off?

Excessively proselytizing, fundamentalist religious people and Excessively proselytizing, fundamentalist atheists, BOTH piss me off.

For my sake can we use shorter, simpler, easier to pronounce words? :P:D

I once worked in a factory where the foreman hired a friend's kid and put him in my group, (I was a group lead). The kid had just recently switched from being addicted to drugs, to being addicted to religion. He was the stupidest, laziest idiot I have ever had the misfortune to work with, but we couldn't get rid of him because of the nepotism. He spent all of his time wandering around the factory with a bible in his back pocket, preaching fire and brimstone, while the rest of my guys did his work for him.

One day he walked up to Ray and began spouting his self-righteous BS. Ray, (who was attending college part-time for a journalism degree), spun around and yelled: "Oh, go to hell, you didactic proselytizing son of a bitch!"

The idiot's face went blank, and he walked away.
I went home that night and pulled out my dictionary.:D

After a couple of months, the idiot stopped showing up for work, (to everyone's relief). We later learned that he had gone back to being addicted to drugs.:D:D:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

IMHO, religion is for people who can't think for themselves and need to be told what to do and how to do it. Mindless cattle basically.

"Faith cometh by hearing, hearing by the word of God"

I'm pretty sure that using scripture as a rebuttal to logic is exactly the type of thing the OP was describing as annoying.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

IMHO, religion is for people who can't think for themselves and need to be told what to do and how to do it. Mindless cattle basically.

"Faith cometh by hearing, hearing by the word of God"

I'm pretty sure that using scripture as a rebuttal to logic is exactly the type of thing the OP was describing as annoying.

Indeed it was.

I really think religion is foolishness. That said I have many friends and family who are religious so I try not to ridicule them openly. If someone is pushy I just try to be polite. If I behaved any different I would be heavily discriminated against in this town. The truth is it doesn't come up that often.

I don't live in a small town where it would be a problem, but I do work with people I know to be religious. I have no desire to be offensive to them generally, so I keep my condescending feelings toward them quiet.

I see religion as the major thing wrong with the world; it's what causes the most conflict, prevents the most cooperation, and stands in the way of progress. I think it is rooted in fear and ignorance; especially when we view the silliness and self-contradiction of much of it.

I won't go into detail here, but I have considered an analyzed many of the key points and found them to be so laughable I really cannot fathom how thinking people can put all their belief into them.
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

Really!? Can you provide the 'thinking' people with your details then? Your considerations? Your analysis?

I reckon you can't.

I reckon you're talking bollox.

Prove me wrong?:ph34r:

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

Really!? Can you provide the 'thinking' people with your details then? Your considerations? Your analysis?

I reckon you can't.

I reckon you're talking bollox.

Prove me wrong?:ph34r:

I didn't come in here to prove you anything. I stated my position, which is pretty much what the thread was asking for.

You can "reckon" all you want about what I am talking. I know what I know, I feel what I feel, I believe what I believe; and while religious people believe I'm doomed to hell for not accepting Jesus Christ as my savior, I believe they're foolish for believing that bunk that comes from the bible (particularly given that the bible is just a story that's been handed down and changed at whim by this or that human being and cannot possibly be relied on to be the actual "word of God).

Will there be anything else I can help you with, this evening? Did I make you my enemy just because I simply stated my beliefs?

Besides, aren't you asking me to prove a negative when you ask me to give you details about why we shouldn't bother believing in God?
Imaginations on fire

You're full of shit.

Provide the thinking people with your details!

Your analysis and considerations!

Other wise you are therefore full of shit.

edit: You said: 'I won't go into detail here, but I have considered an analyzed many of the key points and found them to be so laughable I really cannot fathom how thinking people can put all their belief into them.'

Prove it.:)

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

Sorry, not interested. Find another taker to enlighten you. It's not my job. And if you're religious and happy being that way, why on earth would you want me to prove why you're being foolish?

"Go with God."

(...away from me.) :ph34r:

Imaginations on fire

I don't get too angry, but I do not like it when someone tells me I'm WRONG because I don't believe what they believe. I have an appreciation for many points of view and will openly listen to each of them so I can understand where they're coming from. I just ask that extremely religious people have that much respect for my beliefs...or lack thereof.

I was told by my best friend and a very good friend that because I do not necessarily believe in the god they both know and love I'm going to hell.:S

Me too, and I feel your pain :P.

One of these friends used 'witness' to me at the DZ and I managed to keep it light ... until a mutual friend died one day in a skydiving accident. Gung-ho religious guy spoke extensively at the funeral, and did not say ONE word about our brother who died in the sport, and who he was >:(>:(. Instead he saw it as his chance to blatantly try to convert to his faith and instill guilt in everyone in the packed Catholic church/convince us that the guy had somehow been "saved' while he was dying (speaker was NOT Catholic.) I knew our dead friend was agnostic, since we'd had many in-depth private conversations about these things in my rigging loft.

It took all of my willpower not to walk out of that funeral sobbing as my fingernails dug into my palms, but all our friends were there and hurting and I didn't want to contribute to the drama. I believe even the priest was appalled, although he was tactful/diplomatic.

I'm not mad anymore, and don't generally get pissed off at those types though I am quite sad for them. I think they're terrified of death, and are way too self-involved to "love thy neighbor."

It sucks when people you care about tell you with no uncertainty that you're damned to eternal hellfire, but I just figure they're human and it's their way of getting through the day B|, then I change the subject.

BTW, as far as I know funeral mass speaker no longer jumps, I believe the DZ environment may have been incompatible with his faith, but I'm not sure.

Provide the thinking people with your details!

Your analysis and considerations!

Other wise you are therefore full of shit.

:D:D:D

The irony is so delicious it's a shame we don't have a Michelin inspector on hand.

"If you're so blind you require evidence for me to support my points, I no longer have any argument with you."

"Putting evidence to one side, it's only an assertion through what I believe to be commonly apparant in our societies."

Fan-fucking-tastic;)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

It sucks when people you care about tell you with no uncertainty that you're damned to eternal hellfire, but I just figure they're human and it's their way of getting through the day...

Honestly, why in the world would you care about people like that? :S It's also human to rape and murder; does that mean it's okay?
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein

:ph34r:

I was thinking of you when I wrote that.:)

Interesting. If you knew I was going to pick up on the hypocrisy then you realise that you're doing it, which puts you above Rush at least.

I'm impressed.

Yes they do!!! and I am even a very strong Christian. I think that is one of the biggest social down falls of our society today. A majority of my friends are not Christians or religious. I don't consider myself religous because I don't practice, attend, or "try to win people over" I am just a Christian.

To do a little side note... I atleast for Christianity it was not intended to be like an organization and was not intended to be love-hate everyone but fellow Christians and try to convert as many as you can. Its ment to spread the word and allow people to make up there own mind. You being a Christian does not affect me in the least. I can't stand a majority of Churchs and don't fit-in in many, I can't stand to hang around most Christians, and I feel like beating the crap out of the corner "YOU ARE ALL GOING TO HELL IF YOU DON'T REPENT NOW!" asshole screaming at us (Students) at the Universiy just like everyone else. I also have a deep respect for a lot of religions such as the Buddhist. I do Muay Thai and honor a lot of the Buddhist traditions. Thats my little bit of 2 cents.

So what do you consider EXTRemELY religious??? Kind of like having morals????:P

Your post is lacking inteligence. You must not have learned much while you were there!

I understand your beliefs on not wanting it forced on you but the coment above is stupid at best:S
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

:ph34r:

I was thinking of you when I wrote that.:)

Interesting. If you knew I was going to pick up on the hypocrisy then you realise that you're doing it, which puts you above Rush at least.

I'm impressed.

I knew that you wouldn't just pick up on it, you'd literally leap upon it. Like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/rayskwire/Random/Too_Much_Computer.gif

Glad you're impressed. A snide comment at both myself and Rush. Well done.

So, you abuse someone for using your own tactic and then get all defensive when someone picks up on it. How sweet.

Thing is though, if you know that you're being so hypocritical, why do ya do it?

So, you abuse someone for using your own tactic and then get all defensive when someone picks up on it. How sweet.

See, you're making things up again!:D Where, in this thread, did I get defensive?

Thing is though, if you know that you're being so hypocritical, why do ya do it?

The answers right above ya!

Is it necessary to ask?

Well, yeah. You've abused someone for using the exact same tactic you use and you (apparently) knew you were applying a double standard. Thought it was kinda wierd.