bigairnut

Girls With Guns

Doc K (or others) -

What is the opinion on the HK replacement upper for the AR15? (HK 416)? I think I like the idea of an op-rod system rather than direct gas impingement.

Of course, I think it'd be better in 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 Swiss, but that's just me... :)

Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Doc K (or others) -

What is the opinion on the HK replacement upper for the AR15? (HK 416)? I think I like the idea of an op-rod system rather than direct gas impingement.

Of course, I think it'd be better in 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 Swiss, but that's just me... :)

per Marty:
For a close in gun where a vertical dispersion not a big deal, then the op-rod systems are ok. But at 400yds, the accuracy of the op-rod guns is less due to the vertical stringing.

He then "educated" me on how whether it's an op rod system or a direct gas impingement system, you still need to take care of the weapon and keep them clean. Even though the op rod system is cleaner.... you still have to maintain them appropriately. :D:D:D

Even though the op rod system is cleaner.... you still have to maintain them appropriately

Well, of course!!! B|

I dunno, I guess it's that whole "defecating in it's dinner plate" (so to speak) aspect of the Stoner design that I don't like....
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Here's a couple of mine. On the left side of the case are my friend's 1911, XD 40, and Bushy. On the right are my Mosin Nagant 1891/30 and my Glock23 (which I traded for a g22). I also have an AK and another Mosin M44. Those damn old russian guns are accurate as hell being that they have existed for like 100 years now.
Muff #5048

On the right are my Mosin Nagant 1891/30... I also have... another Mosin M44. Those damn old russian guns are accurate as hell being that they have existed for like 100 years now.

Their condition is highly variable on the surplus market. Some are great, some are crap. And their accuracy can depend upon the ammo too. I shot a Moison from Finland on Sunday, with three different types of ammo. Pretty much all of them were crap, with one being noticeably more crappy than the other two. So now I don't know if the poor performance is the rifle, or the ammo...

isn't this meant to be GIRLS with guns not plonkers showing other plonkers how big their weapon is

I think part of the problem is that this got moved from Bonfire. I would bet that SC has far fewer women visitors than Bonfire. We need a wider audience.

To that end I would like to ask the mods to reconsider the appropriateness of this thread in Bonfire. It is not intended to be a thread for debate or controversy at all. As was previously mentioned, if you are a girl and/or like girls and/or guns, then c'mon in. If you want to debate guns, gun violence, 2nd Amendment, etc. there are other places to do that. Thanks for the consideration.

Speaker's Corner was specifically created for discussions about politics, guns and religion. I know some people here like guns very much, but most people don't want to read about them (or more accurately, they don't want to read discussions that involve them.) Feedback like that is one reason we split Speaker's Corner off from Bonfire.

Doc K (or others) -

Along those lines, I'm in need of a new toy and am considering the Sig 556 swat. Any opinions here on the gun itself? Or on the metal vs. polymer forearm? Is the Sig red dot holo sight worth ordering with it or should I not bother and grab a better red dot by another manufacturer?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Speaker's Corner was specifically created for discussions about politics, guns and religion. I know some people here like guns very much, but most people don't want to read about them (or more accurately, they don't want to read discussions that involve them.) Feedback like that is one reason we split Speaker's Corner off from Bonfire.

I hear ya and I agree for the most part. The problem is that no one is holding a gun to their head (pun intended) forcing them to read the posts. That is why there is a subject heading. If the topic is of interest, click and read, otherwise don't. The reader is in full control.

Thanks anyway. :(

Doc K (or others) -

Along those lines, I'm in need of a new toy and am considering the Sig 556 swat. Any opinions here on the gun itself? Or on the metal vs. polymer forearm? Is the Sig red dot holo sight worth ordering with it or should I not bother and grab a better red dot by another manufacturer?

Blues,
Dave

Sig 556 got some dismal reviews from those I know whom have had the opportunity to use one.

Amazing since they loved the Sig pistols, and the Sig 970 rifle as well as a few others.

Sig 556 got some dismal reviews from those I know whom have had the opportunity to use one.

Amazing since they loved the Sig pistols, and the Sig 970 rifle as well as a few others.

Any idea what their complaints were? I've heard there were some quality issues when the model first came out that are not shared by more recent serial numbers.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Here's me with mine...

Oh yeah, Hi, I'm Jen. I come around here sometimes, but don't have much to contribute as I haven't been able to jump since march! In case the pictures don't show, I'm in the Canadian military, but I'm an airplane mechanic, so I only see my rifle a few times a year. Cheers!
"and though she be but little, she is fierce."

I'm Jen, pack parachutes and fix planes for a living. Cheers.