Skyrad

Do fat people repulse you?

They bother me in the same way that smokers bother me; the same way that reckless drivers bother me; the same way that some skydivers who (despite our efforts to teach them otherwise) do bonehead stuff bother me. People who by action or omission of action destroy themselves and make excuses for their actions bother me.

Obesity is epidemic. The sequelae of obesity are destroying our bodies. Diabetes (specifically type II)is rampant. Heart disease is rampant. People (and worse, their KIDS) are getting fatter every day.

The overwhelming majority of people who are overweight do not have an excuse. A FEW of the people you know may have "predispositions" but there is always something they could do. Maybe they won't be strutting down the runway with supermodels, but they can always improve their condition, SOMEHOW. Even a single pound lost is a benefit.

People look in the mirror and see they're fat, look around the family reunion and see that their whole family is fat, and decide that "it's genetic". This is a cultural issue, not a genetic one.

I'm an ICU RN and see how obesity tears a body apart, and see how a baseline of obesity complicates recovery from even simple illnesses and procedures. It's a huge factor, and one that needs to be dealt with by everyone on a personal level.

Elvisio "aha, there's my soapbox" Rodriguez

Right, now imagine that you live in a country which has a public health system which you pay in to. We all have to pay for stomach stapling, hip and knee replacements, foot operations, Cardiac operations, vascular operations and diabetes medication for other people who don't have the self discipline to eat well and exercise. Thats simply wrong. Why should we who are socially responsible pay for those who are not? Being obease is socially and personally irresponsible. (I would say that in the case in the small minority of obease poeple who have a genuine medical reason such as Hypothyroidism I have no problem with paying for their treatment, however these people really are in a small minority for the obease population)
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Not one of my best posts. I think the term Repulsive is a bit to strong in hind sight. i also have a family history of diabetes. Both of my sisters are overweight one of them is obease, I have to work out hard to keep fit. Maybe watching bits fall off my aunt as she slowly died from vascular disease due to badly managed diabetes didn't help. I also love my sisters and am not replused by them. Tonight Fi and I went dancing and there was several obease people there dancing and i didn't have an issue with them either, maybe its the excuses and whinging while eatting junk that annoys me so much.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

LOL if anyone on dz.com needs therapy it's you! Are brits always this violent? ;)

only when we haven't been drinking.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Jamile, this thread makes you appear to be shallow. That's not the J that I know:S

Katee - you are one of my favorite people in the world. But I think that there is human nature at work here, and calling it "shallow" is missing a point.

We all have likes and dislikes. ALL of us. SOme of u have things that repulse us. Fat people do not repulse me. But other types of people do.

I have likes. I like italian food. And dislikes. I don't like Indian food. I love capers. I don't like olives. Shallow? Maybe and maybe not. But real.

I adore you, Katee. I've never met you face to face. Is that shallow? My irrational fear is bugs. Shallow? Agan, perhaps. But it is real, and I can't see any particular pathology or character flaw from it.

I've got an obese dad, an obese mom, and two obese brothers. I was obese once. My mom and my brothers are enjoyable people. I wasn't. My dad is not.

But to many people, obesity is an indication of self-destructiveness - no different from meth-head covered with scabs. I find tweakers repulsive. I find junkies repulsive. And that is shallow because I know how many people are junkies and succcessful and good-hearted people. But junkies make my skin crawl.

Is that shallow? Perhaps, but it is what it is. And too many people would call those who admit their natures as shallow. Others call it ignorant. Etc. I agree that it very well may be.

But - it IS what it IS. It is a characteristic of human nature. People are shallow. Anyone who isn't with certain things is, to put it bluntly, sub-human. Likes and dislikes are something we ALL have. And they are almost always arbitrary.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

What bugs me is the 8 yr. old kid with a head the size of a halloween pumpkin, and thighs so fat, he has to stand splay legged, with his feet 2ft apart.
Then there's the blubberbutt parent, who wants validation for their own lardassedness, encouraging the kid to stuff more food in his face.

Now, that pisses me off.

I need to know what you mean by fat.
and at what point does a person cross the line?

Morbidly obese people are a drain on our (OZ) health care system here, and that irritates me
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Perhaps shallow wasn't the best choice of words, perhaps judgmental would have been better. I understand human nature to make assumptions as to why one might be obese, but it isn't always due to a person's dietary choices. Not everyone who has weight issues is lazy or gorging themselves with a dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts each day.

Perhaps shallow wasn't the best choice of words, perhaps judgmental would have been better. I understand human nature to make assumptions as to why one might be obese, but it isn't always due to a person's dietary choices. Not everyone who has weight issues is lazy or gorging themselves with a dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts each day.

No it's not but I would hazard to guess that these are in a small minority. Whereas most people who are heavily overweight are so due to lifestyle choices
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

And your point is?
as I said people with medical conditions are in the minority. ALSO,
GUESS what the Management profile is for that Metabolic Syndrome

For managing both long- and short-term risk, lifestyle therapies are the first-line interventions to reduce the metabolic risk factors. These lifestyle interventions include:

Weight loss to achieve a desirable weight (BMI less than 25 kg/m2)
Increased physical activity, with a goal of at least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity activity on most days of the week
Healthy eating habits that include reduced intake of saturated fat, trans fat and cholesterol

LIFESTYLE Choices:P
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I need to know what you mean by fat.
and at what point does a person cross the line?

Morbidly obese people are a drain on our (OZ) health care system here, and that irritates me

Morbidly obease is what I'm talking about not someone who is a size 18 dress or carrying a few pounds over. I went to see WALL_E and the sight of all the morbidly obease cartoon people along with the other thread about obease people complaining about the film prompted me to make the original (not so well worded) post.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Firstly I agree that not everyone who is obease is that way due to a lack of dietary control and lack of exercise, I know someone in that group who has hypothyroidism. However, as I mentioned previously those people are in the minority.

Lets look at the information on the link you posted in regards to genetic factors.

Some people are genetically predisposed to insulin resistance.

A predisposition does not mean that one will go on to develop a condition its simply means that you are more likely to. So what would make that more likely to happen? See the next part..

Acquired factors, such as excess body fat and physical inactivity, can elicit insulin resistance and the metabolic syndrome in these people.

So to recap, the factors that would most likely lead to insulin resistance and metabolic sysndrome in those with a predisposition are 'excess body fat and inactivity'.

Most people with insulin resistance have abdominal obesity.

So in other words the people refered to in this situation are most likely the way they are due to having allowed excess body fat to develop and a lack of exercise which in turn lead to insulin resistance syndrom. It was not the other way around.

The article that you linked to then goes on to say...

For managing both long- and short-term risk, lifestyle therapies are the first-line interventions to reduce the metabolic risk factors. These lifestyle interventions include:

Weight loss to achieve a desirable weight (BMI less than 25 kg/m2)
Increased physical activity, with a goal of at least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity activity on most days of the week
Healthy eating habits that include reduced intake of saturated fat, trans fat and cholesterol

There are to many people willing to blame reasons beyond their control for being obease which is hardly supprising as the main cause for most of them being that way is a lack of personal responsibility in the first place. Is that judgemental? Yes. But it also happens to be broadly based on the facts.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I think being fat is very unattractive. I don't know if I'd go so far as to say I'm 'repulsed' by them.

I didn't really choose that word very well. What I meant was on a sliding scale of at one end attraction indiffence in the middle and at the other end the opposite of attraction ...repulsion. I suppose it would be fairer to say that watching obease people eat chips/crisps irritates me more than repulses me, but having said that I supppose that if I'm being honest it also depends on just how big someone is, I saw a program on the half ton clinic somewhere in the USA recently and yes, those people actually put me off my food, it was very unpleasent.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I think being fat is very unattractive. I don't know if I'd go so far as to say I'm 'repulsed' by them.

I didn't really choose that word very well. What I meant was on a sliding scale of at one end attraction indiffence in the middle and at the other end the opposite of attraction ...repulsion. I suppose it would be fairer to say that watching obease people eat chips/crisps irritates me more than repulses me, but having said that I supppose that if I'm being honest it also depends on just how big someone is, I saw a program on the half ton clinic somewhere in the USA recently and yes, those people actually put me off my food, it was very unpleasent.

So basically you're saying that fat people repulse you?:ph34r:

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

I voted yes, but would expect the word fat to be replaced with Obese.

some fat people are naturally like that, and not repulsive, Obese people however are fuccking discusting and they should be refused junk food such as drunk people are refused alcohol.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

On that I DO differ. A person's weight is always a reflection os calories in versus calories out unless is is related to water retention, as is often seen with edema associated with certain medications.

I, For one, am likely "predisposed" to obesity. I must therefore watch what I eat.

I compare "predisposition" to the genetics blame for drug abuse. "It wasn't all Chris Farley's fault because he was genetically predisposed to addiction.". Actually, he chose to take his first dose of smack. THAT is the compelling event.

And what we see is people copping out because they say, "I can't help it. It's genetic."

It is genetic. But they CAN help it. Anything that shelves personal responsibility for one's condition is rough for mw to tolerate. And, if they have a condition, they should be treating it and ot feeding it.

I know this firsthand. I used to spend my days feeling sorry for myself. Once I blamed myself, I managed to lose 80 pounds.

Telling people it's not their fault is enabling.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

By posting the link to metabolic syndrome and other medical conditions, I am not trying to enable by giving a source of blame to excuse taking personal responsibility. I'm just saying that for some with the added challenges of genetics and medical conditions, it just isn't as easy to gain control over the weight issues as the average person without such challenges. There are people who DO watch what they eat, use portion control, and make good dietary choices (who don't eat chips, doughnuts, fast food) who still struggle.

Tell them to get in touch with me! I'll square them away when I open my Fat Loss Course.

Basically they'll have to cover set distances over arduous terrain in Scotland with just an old WWII greatcoat, sketchmap and a survival tin, living off the land (taught prior to 'going on the run'), and getting their medication and perhaps an onion or carrot at their Agent RV's, whilst avoiding the hunter force. Following that they can then enjoy being put in stress positions listening to white noise whilst also being dragged off for interrogations which will incorporate a fat loss brainwash program!:)
:S

Ooh, SAS trials for fat people, great idea:ph34r::D:D

Gone fishing

Metabolic Syndrome is a RESULT of being obese. It doesn't cause obesity.

Chicken or the egg?
Regardless of it being a "result of being obese" still doesn't mean that the obesity was from downing massive quantities of junk food which seems to be the stereotype of several posters in this thread.

Metabolic Syndrome is a RESULT of being obese. It doesn't cause obesity.

Chicken or the egg?
Regardless of it being a "result of being obese" still doesn't mean that the obesity was from downing massive quantities of junk food which seems to be the stereotype of several posters in this thread.

Not really a chicken or egg situation. If that person looses the weight, then the metabolic syndrome improves. The extra fat tends to confuse the endocrine system and increases the insulin insensitivity. Once that added challenge is gone, the body tries to fix itself (endocrine wise). But do note that I said "try"

You are right though... for some people it is a LOT harder (if not damn near impossible) to stay the 120lb "ideal" weight. Some people have lighter frames/structures and some are designed to be larger. Genetics does play a role, but it can be managed

As I said above, my ENTIRE family is heavier set. I work HARD not to be. But it is something that I do have to work at. (which with my recent ankle problem has become an even "bigger" problem).... but I'm not going to dismiss my responsibility.

Yes, there are some Medical Conditions that "cause" obesity:
Thyroid disorders
Cushings
Zebra tumors
Medication effects

But the large majority are due to lifestyle choices. (If you are predisposed to heaviness.... you don't get off the hook, in fact, it means that you have to be "better" with your lifestyle choices)

I have a bad back from nearly 30 years as a FF/EMT picking up fat asses and doing CPR on them once in a while. We have had to take people out of windows, take doors off, bannisters down and call out special ambulances to haul them away.
And all of them have fat ass little fat asses running around eating donuts and potato chips.
Genetic, maybe 2% of the lard butts I have dealt with.
We call the fat ladies "Queen Bees", because they just sit on their couch, or bed and watch TV, eat junk food and have the family provide it all for them.
Most you can't get a "thigh cuff" on their arm to get a blood pressure.
It cracks me up that the family wants to know "is he going to be OK?" while we are doing a futile attempt at CPR. 30 years of feeding him bacon and eggs and you want us to fix it in 5 minutes? We're good, but not THAT good!;)
But no, they don't bother me at all, why do you ask????B|