airdvr

Seat belt police

Unlike others here I got pulled over Friday. 68 in a 60. They let the ticket slide but I had to donate $58 to the authorities because I wasn't wearing a seat belt.

In Ohio you can ride a motorcycle without a helmet but you can't drive without your seatbelt. :S

Anyways, I've always had a problem with this particular law. If I choose to be stupid and not wear a seatbelt that should be my personal choice. Wish the gov't would get out of my business.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Yea but we all pay when you eat the dashboard. Buckle up fucker.:P

Yup no one wants you as a meat missile landing on their lap

eta, that's not you as in cheeise that's the general you
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I agree to some extent. I think folks should be allowed to ride without a seatbelt if they choose, but I think getting your ass shredded by a windshield because you weren't wearing a belt should either make your insurance invalid, or that you have to pay a higher premium as someone that knowingly ignores safety features. I have no interest in paying high insurance rates because other folks choose not to take advantage of safety features and in turn cause insurance payouts.
Killing threads since 2004.

and yet we still allow people to consume alcohol and smoke cigarettes.
:|

I still prefer to ride the sled without a helment....but I don't. :P Although I do not usually wear one when jumping either.B|

Do folks that admit to smoking usually end up paying more on insurance premiums? I know I've always been asked about smoking, but I've always been able to say no. Have never been sure. I know someone that changed insurance and had a previous bout w/ respitory issues due to smoking considered a pre-existing condition.

Sorry for the seat belt thread hijack!
Killing threads since 2004.

Jessie "the Body" Ventura called these the stupid laws when he was Govenor of MN. Laws passed to prevent people from doing stupid shit! Everyone knows it's not safe to drive without using a seat belt, so, let's pass a law making it illegal. That way, we can hold the stupid accountalble.

Based on the many "Stupid Laws" we have on the books, soon doing anything like jumping from airplanes will be strickly forbidden.

The way I see it, as long as the "Stupid Law" police are busy enforcing seat belt and drinking & driving laws, they'll leave us fool skydivers alone. [:/]

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

If driving without your seat belt only effected you, then I would have no problem with it. But imagine this situation: You are driving on a 4 lane road, and the car next to you all of a sudden swerves into you. You are driving a truck, and get launched into the passenger seat, and all the while run over a family who is walking on the side walk. If you had been wearing a seat belt, maybe you would have been able to control the vehicle enough to keep it on the road. You deserve the ticket. Motorcycle helmets however, I believe would not change your ability to avoid hurting someone.....

If driving without your seat belt only effected you, then I would have no problem with it. But imagine this situation: You are driving on a 4 lane road, and the car next to you all of a sudden swerves into you. You are driving a truck, and get launched into the passenger seat, and all the while run over a family who is walking on the side walk. If you had been wearing a seat belt, maybe you would have been able to control the vehicle enough to keep it on the road. You deserve the ticket. Motorcycle helmets however, I believe would not change your ability to avoid hurting someone.....

There's no doubt in anyone's mind that wearing the belt is safer. Having an AAD is safer. Not smoking, keeping your weight down, minding your cholesterol is safer. My concern is the gov't mandating to me. Where does it end? How long will it be until we're so squeezed by rules and regs that the "land of the free" is no more.

This weekend was our 232nd birthday as a nation. Still a huge experiment and the jury is still out on whether it will work. I don't believe the founding fathers meant for the gov't to be this involved in people's lives.

I drove from Canton to Cincy on Friday. A 4 hour drive. I passed 6 or 7 packs of troopers handing out citations. I call it fund raising.

Destinations by Roxanne

I despise how the local "authorities" feed off of us in many ways...

*seat belt road blocks
*DUI road blocks
*red light ticketing during rush hour when the roads simply cannot handle the capacity and people get stuck
*6 lane roads with 30mph spee limits and regular speed traps
*boating tickets for "speeding" and "careless operation" around skier drop off spots - those areas are there for just such driving!!!

cannot avoid the cops these days...

I despise how the local "authorities" feed off of us in many ways...

*seat belt road blocks
*DUI road blocks
*red light ticketing during rush hour when the roads simply cannot handle the capacity and people get stuck
*6 lane roads with 30mph spee limits and regular speed traps
*boating tickets for "speeding" and "careless operation" around skier drop off spots - those areas are there for just such driving!!!

cannot avoid the cops these days...

Saturday night we went out on the local lakes in a party barge to watch fireworks. Yes it's a State Park. There were multitudes of park police in their little boats handing out tickets for having alcohol on board. They even had night vision binoculars to use for busting people. I mean what is the intent? We were having a good time, being safe, not bothering anyone or getting stupid. The "capt." of our barge wasn't drunk but we had to sneak our drinks. I felt like a criminal and that's just wrong. [:/]

Destinations by Roxanne

They (the police) have become the "hall monitors" of life.
It sucks - and it's amazingly disappointing that we are after our own. Given the reduction of revenue sources for the local and state governments, it seems to be increasing.
>:(

Ever have to cut a dead body out of a car? How about a few of them? You'd start to think seat belts are pretty worth while if you had. Ever seen a head explode from striking a curb in a motorcycle wreck (single vehicle wreck)? You'd think helmets were pretty cool after seeing that too.

Its all about perspective and life experiences.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

They (the police) have become the "hall monitors" of life.
It sucks - and it's amazingly disappointing that we are after our own. Given the reduction of revenue sources for the local and state governments, it seems to be increasing.
>:(

Taking it out on the police is flawed. they inforce the laws, they don't make them.
and they do not have arbitrary rights over which to enforce.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Ever have to cut a dead body out of a car? How about a few of them? You'd start to think seat belts are pretty worth while if you had. Ever seen a head explode from striking a curb in a motorcycle wreck (single vehicle wreck)? You'd think helmets were pretty cool after seeing that too.

Its all about perspective and life experiences.

Not questioning the value...I don't think anyone could debate that. I'm questioning the increasing presence of those who feel it's their responsibility to make those decisions for us. Think it's not a problem? When do they decide that skydiving is too dangerous?

Destinations by Roxanne