SpeedRacer

Do atheists/agnostics believe in.....

Indeed, you could argue that the agnostics are the people with the most open minds; most fundamentalist's minds are completely closed to the possibility that God does not exist.

I am open to the possibility that some sort of god exists, but I consider myself an atheist because I don't believe that a god exists. And I don't consider myself agnostic because I believe that if a god does exist, then there must be some way to prove it (even if we don't have a way yet). But as of yet, I have absolutely no reason to believe any of the various myths that have been created by people to "explain" the unknown.

> For me God has provided the opportunity of knowing much more
>about Him than "ya I think He exists, maybe".

Have you closed your mind to the possibility of him not existing?

>>>When/if you ever did get to the point in humbleness where you would deny yourself and follow Jesus, only then will you find the life in him. I have found that humbleness actually makes us apologize for ever questioning Gods existance, questioning his countless blessings, guidence, love. God only reveals himself to the Contrite and Humble, but he is all the time showing his nature to all of us so that we might turn and learn righteousness. This is all biblical bill.

What do you do when you find the truth? How is it possible in your heart to deny it? Would you say that truth has closed its mind simply because it doesnt believe in a lie anymore? What I dont know if you understand is that life is about the search, but finding is the true gift of life. Max used the term Spiritual Universe, and it had an impact on me. If you find what you are looking for, and only you know what that is, then you will stop when you are satisfied, and enjoy your finding. Jesus is exactly what I was looking for, and I enjoy his spirit every moment, as he takes me into the deeper revelations of the creators heart and how mine connects with it.

How tragic it would be to search and never find. Because while you may think it is those who have found who were/are close minded, it may just be that those still in the search are still in the search because they are close minded.
"We didn't start the fire"

Have you closed your mind to the possibility of him not existing***

No, I got that one easily covered. If that is true, then when the meaninglessness of my existence overtakes me with my last dying breath, I won't have missed a thing. My exciting, enjoyable, guilt free, transcendent, wonderful life will just disappear like the early morning mist. But if He does exist, eternity awaits to embrace me. :)

>As it is the quarks in you body and energy that powers your mind has
>been rambling around this latest phase of creation for 13.75 billion years
>with no loss of spin, charge or mass. Attributing this to blind chance is
>short sighted to say the least.

Agreed. It is wiser to attribute it to physics.

Bill, Does physics have a much better explanation?

I am open to the possibility that some sort of god exists, but I consider myself an atheist because I don't believe that a god exists. And I don't consider myself agnostic because I believe that if a god does exist, then there must be some way to prove it (even if we don't have a way yet). But as of yet, I have absolutely no reason to believe any of the various myths that have been created by people to "explain" the unknown.

Shotgun that's interesting, I'm on the flip side of you. I would consider myself agnostic if anything, but I do believe in God. I'm just open to the possibility that there isn't one. However, I think my idea of God is far different than most peoples'. I think of God more like the native Americans did, more like "Mother Nature." In any case, I think it's beyond our comprehension.

But if He does exist, eternity awaits to embrace me. :)

maadmax, Forgive my ignorance, but I thought Christians believed something along the lines of "though shall not judge" as in, only God can judge. Is that not the case?
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein

>Does physics have a much better explanation?

Yes - conservation of energy.

We might have to rethink conservation of energy.
The universe is expanding at an increasing rate, contrary to human logic. Maybe dark energy bleeding over from other dimensions? Maybe spontaneous creation of energy? We have a lot to learn.
I like that.

If there is a god I think he must have a wicked sense of humour.

tanstaafl

The universe is expanding at an increasing rate, contrary to human logic.

WHAT? Human logic is what enabled us to discover that the rate of expansion is increasing.

Humans have got far beyond attributing things we don't yet understand to invisible supernatural beings. Well, the smart ones have.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Ah, Pascal's Wager! An excellent compromise overall.

But there are thousands of gods to choose from, and choosing the wrong one may be far worse than choosing none at all (jealous god syndrome).

Pascal's wager is a sucker bet.

Ah, Pascal's Wager! An excellent compromise overall***

Not much of a wager for me. I have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Of course in your case , you have nothing to gain, and everything to loose.

As it is the quarks in you body and energy that powers your mind has been rambling around this latest phase of creation for 13.75 billion years
with no loss of spin, charge or mass. Attributing this to blind chance is short sighted to say the least.

--Agreed. It is wiser to attribute it to physics.

Bill, Does physics have a much better explanation?***

NOPE, NADDA, ZILCH, ZERO, NONE! Description is not an explanation.

--maadmax, Forgive my ignorance, but I thought Christians believed something along the lines of "though shall not judge" as in, only God can judge. Is that not the case?

Please rephrase your question. Either, I am not sure I understand what you are asking, or you are just establishing background information to preface your next question. As far as your statement you are 100% correct, no ignorance detected. :)

The universe is expanding at an increasing rate, contrary to human logic.

WHAT? Human logic is what enabled us to discover that the rate of expansion is increasing.

Humans have got far beyond attributing things we don't yet understand to invisible supernatural beings. Well, the smart ones have.

I apologize if I was not clear.

In our general frames of reference we expect any expansion, without any further input of energy, to either continue in a steady state or slow up due to frictional or gravitic effects.
We can relate to these concepts. That was the human logic to which I was referring.

I fully agree that human logic also allows us to go much further. Physics lets us theorize unimaginable things. And many such theories allow us manipulate our environment to our advantage: I'm thinking specifically about quantum physics. Our modern electronic world is based on such physics.
Can we relate to quantum concepts? I doubt it. Our everyday 'logic', what I was referring to in my post, is no longer useful. Scientific logic (i.e. mathematics, etc.) is now necessary.
We theorize about quantum mechanics; we can describe quantum effects; we can make practical use of our theoretical knowledge; but not even our greatest thinkers claim to 'understand' the quantum world. Many experimental results are 'illogical'.
Before the discovery that the rate of expansion was increasing, if anyone had postulated such, even scientists would have said that that would not be 'logical'.

None of this means that we must introduce a god to explain 'x'. As I indicated before, I consider that doing so generally stifles learning/exploration.

Our frames of reference change/evolve. We now have new data. In a scientific sense conservation of energy will likely need to be re-addressed.
It might still hold true multi-dimensionally, and what we are seeing is a bleedover from dimensions outside our familiar 4.
Ain't science wonderful?

tanstaafl

Not much of a wager for me. I have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Of course in your case , you have nothing to gain, and everything to loose.

There is no evidence that there is anything for you to gain. With out any evidence you are wasting your time believing in a fairy tale.

OK, but what would Pascal say about Bill's position?

That it's an excellent compromise overall? I think he would have agreed wholeheartedly.

But WHICH god do you subscribe to, and what if you choose the wrong one? You might just really piss off Odin.

That's actually a rude and unfair comment John.
I'm know of quite a lot of VERY intelligent people Biologists and Physicists included that have a believe in God.
I don't agree with them but i would never suggest that they are not smart.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

That's actually a rude and unfair comment John.
I'm know of quite a lot of VERY intelligent people Biologists and Physicists included that have a believe in God.
I don't agree with them but i would never suggest that they are not smart.

I think you didn't read my statement carefully enough.

There is no evidence that there is anything for you to gain. With out any evidence you are wasting your time believing in a fairy tale.

Hope is empowered by love. Our love comes from the testimony of Gods love through Jesus. Believing in something as a child is different than believing in something as an adult with the heart of a child. The love has proven itself real in my life, seems to make sense that it is real.
"We didn't start the fire"

>Hope is empowered by love.

No it is not. One has no affect on the other.

>Our love comes from the testimony of Gods love through Jesus.

That is only your belief based on what you read in a book.

>Believing in something as a child is different than believing in something as an adult with the heart of a child.

No it is not any different. Age has no affect on this belief.

>The love has proven itself real in my life, seems to make sense that it is real.

That is only your perception that has no tangible evidence to go with it.