Rookie120

Miss a flight, sue for a million.

$1 Million Lawsuit Over Delta's "Absolute Incompetence"

A Manhattan lawyer blames Delta Airlines for ruining his mother's 80th birthday celebration and is suing the airline for $1 million. Richard Roth says a Delta employee made them miss a flight to South America and losing their luggage for days, telling the Post, "It was the most outrageous experience I've ever had in my life. It was an absolute disaster. One catastrophe after another."

Roth's lawsuit lists a series of grievances, from a "nasty" stewardess who wouldn't let them know if their connection was on time (the family was flying from Westchester to Buenos Aires, with a connection in Atlanta) to a Delta agent who claimed their flight had taken off when it hadn't ("The pilot is not in charge here. I am. All the pilot does is fly the plane.").

Oh, and the family was also told, when they missed their flight to Argentina, that Delta couldn't fly them there for another 2 1/2 weeks. So, after two nights in Atlanta, the family drove from Atlanta to Miami, where they caught a flight to South America.

Roth, who used frequent flier miles for his tickets and misplaced luggage, says he just wanted $21,000 in compensation, but Delta was unresponsive. Now he wants that $21,000, plus $275,000 in compensatory damages for emotional distress and plus much more for punitive damages.

So let me see here. This limp dick lawyer is flying for free and missed his connection and now wants $1,000,000? Plus he said "It was the most outrageous experience I've ever had in my life"? Wow! He must have really had a sheltered life. I hope to judge tells him to piss off. What a tool.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

He didn't miss the flight because of the airline! He drank too much iced tea and had to pee! While he was pissing, they made the announcements! Don't you get it?

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA!

SHORT POWER!!! SHORT POWER!!! SHORT POWER!!!!

:):D

Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

This … lawyer is flying for free …

I'm not sure how you reached that conclusion. He was using frequent flier miles which means his method of payment was different from purchasing the tickets outright, but that's not the same as free. Frequent flier miles aren't free.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Delta lost my luggage - direct flight JFK to Nice, France... nothing for 2 days - work trip in Cannes - $25 reimbursement.. .. gimme a break....I had to shell out close to $800 for business and cocktail attire. THAT was an expensive one....and you can imagine the attitude I got from the lost luggage frogs at Delta counter in Nice >:(

Ouch. That sucked. Maybe it's the international flights that lose luggage more often? I've only flown internationally once, on Delta nonstop from Atlanta to Frankfurt and back after a week. No problems. Granted, that was 14 years ago.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I put on about 30-40K flight miles per year - about 10+K of that is international. Flying overall has become a nightmare. They are not kidding when they say it's worse than ever. It took me just under 10 hours to get out of Charlotte NC to Newark, NJ 2 weeks ago.. on a SUNDAY!!!

Anyway re luggage, I have learned to pack for 5 working days with carry on only.... that eliminates the issue... doesn't work with skydiving trips but there I carry on my rig, suit, helmet and whatever I need to jump... the rest, who cares??

If I could get $50 for every hour I have sat in airports due to delayed/cancelled and otherwise f-ed up flights, I'd be jumping right now, on a 6-month sabbatical from working...fully paid.

Frequent Flyer tickets are not "free" but knowing this helps to explain the 2 1/2 weeks Delta told him. They only allow so many seats on every plane to be used by the "free" tickets and if he was travleing as part of a group then the next time they had enough seats for his entire group out of ATL might have been in a few weeks. I know I've reached black out status multiple times in trying to book even a single seat during busy times on my miles.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

but that's not the same as free.

Did he pay cash for the tickets? According to the article I take that as no. Sounds like a free ticket to me. Like when I use my miles to upgrade to First Class. Did I pay for a first class ticket? NO. Do I get first class service? Yes. See where I'm coming from? Sounds like a free ticket to me.

but that's not the same as free.

Did he pay cash for the tickets? According to the article I take that as no. Sounds like a free ticket to me. Like when I use my miles to upgrade to First Class. Did I pay for a first class ticket? NO. Do I get first class service? Yes. See where I'm coming from? Sounds like a free ticket to me.

Your logic is faulty - you still have to buy tickets and make flights to get those miles that you upgrade with.... so no, it's not 'free'.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Still doesn't give the airlines the right to treat you like some third class citizen. If you earned those miles, you should be able to ride like anybody else.

Not saying the airline singled the guy out because of that though... jmho...

Hell, I'd rather be given the opportunity to TASE any offenders in the airline industry that treats me like that, than sue them. ;):D

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Still doesn't give the airlines the right to treat you like some third class citizen. If you earned those miles, you should be able to ride like anybody else.

Hell, I'd rather be given the opportunity to TASE any offenders in the airline industry that treats me like that, than sue them. ;):D

I don't see any posts defending Delta in this thead - I certainly didn't in my post. I merely corrected Rookie's assertion that the miles were 'free'.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Did he pay cash for the tickets? According to the article I take that as no. Sounds like a free ticket to me.

Do you consider the Canadian health care system "free" too? After all, you never pay a dime when you go in for a checkup.

. . =(_8^(1)

> Still doesn't give the airlines the right to treat you like some third
>class citizen.

Actually they have exactly the same right to treat you as a third class citizen as you have to treat them like a third class company - and take your money elsewhere.

>If you earned those miles, you should be able to ride like anybody else.

Nope. You should get whatever is allowed under their rules. Again, if you don't like their rules - go elsewhere.

>Hell, I'd rather be given the opportunity to TASE any offenders in the
>airline industry . . .

And they feel that way about some customers. It all works out in the end.

Your logic is faulty - you still have to buy tickets and make flights to get those miles that you upgrade with.... so no, it's not 'free'.

Was that specific flight he was on free or did he buy a ticket? Did cash exchange hands for that seat? I flew from Newark to Denver last month on miles and didnt spend a dime for the ticket. That ride was free for me. See what I am saying or is my logic faulty in your eyes?

I don't see any posts defending Delta in this thead - I certainly didn't in my post. I merely corrected Rookie's assertion that the miles were 'free'.

Oh I wasn't directing my comments at you... :)
And BillVon - yeah, it's ALWAYS the companies that have the power, eh? I'm not saying the guy's right for suing the airline. If he'd paid the price for those tickets, then he'd have a better chance of it standing up in court, I guess, but at the very least, compensation for the cost of having to make alternative arrangements would suffice.

Caveat: I'm not a lawyer

Do you consider the Canadian health care system "free" too? After all, you never pay a dime when you go in for a checkup.

How do you go from a free airline ticket using miles to Canadian health care? Stop twisting my arm man. ;)

>but at the very least, compensation for the cost of having to
>make alternative arrangements would suffice.

Let's translate this to the skydiving world.

A student shows up at the DZ, and signs up for a tandem jump. She signs the waiver that talks about their weather policy etc. She gets $20 off because she knows an instructor, and another $20 because it's her birthday. They go up to make a jump.

On jump run, the experienced groups get out, but the first AFF JM looks out and says "nope, it's just about solid. We're landing." They land.

The clouds get worse. The chief instructor says "sorry, guys, looks like it's not going to clear. You can come back at any time to make the jump."

The student demands her money back, cab fare to another DZ, cab fare home from that DZ, and $40 to make up for the difference in the local cost and the cost at the other DZ. The other DZ is 70 miles away. She further wants $2000 because she was treated "like crap." There was a smelly guy leaning on her in the plane, the plane was small and uncomfortable, she hit her head on the ceiling at one point and stumbled getting out of the plane, breaking two nails.

Should the DZO give her the ~$3000 she's asking for? Should he give her at least the $1000 she would need to make other arrangements and still make her jump on her birthday?

Was that specific flight he was on free or did he buy a ticket? Did cash exchange hands for that seat? I flew from Newark to Denver last month on miles and didnt spend a dime for the ticket. That ride was free for me. See what I am saying or is my logic faulty in your eyes?

You're confusing cost with marginal cost. His marginal cost was zero, but his cost was not. Miles are not free. You pay for them by buying tickets for previous flights, with credit card interest & fees, etc.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

It's faulty.

How do miles get INTO your account to use for bonus tickets? You *BUY* a ticket and make the flight, and the airline gives you some bonus miles - unless you've got some sort of dope deal going on that we don't know about.

You may not have paid cash for THAT particular ticket...but the miles used to get that ticket weren't 'free'.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>You may not have paid cash for THAT particular ticket...but the miles used
>to get that ticket weren't 'free'.

True. Of course by that definition nothing is free. Beggar gets a quarter? He had to ask for it. You get a free skydive on your birthday? You had to jump there often enough for them to know you, so it's not free.