BillyVance

Is God trying to tell us something?

To suit his monach (Liz 1) aye... but also to keep his head!!.

Spelling wasn't his strong point either... He could get his own name correct

Roman emperors were rather nastier to dissenters than Liz 1, so goodness knows what "facts" Roman historians fabricated.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Probably right that.

P.S I enjoyed Bill Brysons' book. It's very readable - worth picking up IMO.

I have a bunch of Bryson books, but the last one I read was "Neither Here nor There". Haven't got the Shakespeare one yet.

To suit his monach (Liz 1) aye... but also to keep his head!!.

Spelling wasn't his strong point either... He could get his own name correct

Roman emperors were rather nastier to dissenters than Liz 1, so goodness knows what "facts" Roman historians fabricated.

Hah, yeah! One of my favourite bits of classical writing comes from Livy's Early History of Rome. Goes something like "In the days that followed there were many portents. A statue wept oil, a two headed goat was born and a cow talked. There had been reports of talking cows before, but no-one had believed them."

Instead of "amusing", I suggest you find it "compelling". Maybe as a result of the "serious academic" studies" they found insight that you missed.

Shouldnt you also find the inspiration it brings compelling as well? There is insight that you also may have missed. Those who find faith in Christ dont find it based on his actual historical existance, but on his Word alone and the testimony of others'. Maybe it is more powerful than you think?

"We didn't start the fire"

Instead of "amusing", I suggest you find it "compelling". Maybe as a result of the "serious academic" studies" they found insight that you missed.

Shouldnt you also find the inspiration it brings compelling as well? There is insight that you also may have missed. Those who find faith in Christ dont find it based on his actual historical existance, but on his Word alone and the testimony of others'. Maybe it is more powerful than you think?

If the history is incorrect or fabricated, how do you know what this so-called "Word" is anyway? The problem with Christians like you is that you start with the conclusion you want, and then rationalize everything to fit it. That is absolutely the wrong way to discover the truth.

Instead of "amusing", I suggest you find it "compelling". Maybe as a result of the "serious academic" studies" they found insight that you missed.***

If you weren't so quick to assume you know what I am trying to say there might be a little more actual discussion instead of these broadsides. You obviously agree with my statement that textual critics offer valuable insights into Biblical history. When all is said and done most textual critics that I have read agree that a man fitting the description of Jesus of Nazareth lived in Israel approximately 4 BCE to 28 CE. The man at the center of the Christian experience, was a real man.

The problem with Christians like you is that you start with the conclusion you want, and then rationalize everything to fit it. That is absolutely the wrong way to discover the truth.***

There you go again, making grandiose assumptions about things you don't understand. Christianity starts with the individual first coming to grips with the desperate condition of their soul, before they even know the answer God has supplied through His Son. After that, Spiritual growth is a long arduous journey. I for one had no idea where it would lead me.

The problem with Christians like you is that you start with the conclusion you want, and then rationalize everything to fit it. That is absolutely the wrong way to discover the truth.***

There you go again, making grandiose assumptions about things you don't understand. Christianity starts with the individual first coming to grips with the desperate condition of their soul, before they even know the answer God has supplied through His Son. After that, Spiritual growth is a long arduous journey. I for one had no idea where it would lead me.

Now, I know I couldnt have said that better.

Im still having trouble finding my soul, can you tell me where it is located? once i've located it then how do i determin if its condition is "desperate".

So is there evidence to support the "soul" theory? (please no bible quotes *yawn*)... real evidence, peer reviewed and all...
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

Would you like to go through this book of mythology and point out to me all of the characters who have no basis in reality? How about Saul of Taursus aka. the Apostle Paul? How about any number of the disciples?

Are you saying that Zeus and Odin must be real, since they had been mentioned in even more than one book of mythology? Or this is another kind of "Jesus-specific" logic?
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

So to go back some 1600 years before that, when there was no printing and try to establish real facts about people living or imagined is almost pure folly.

Well, the God may care less about whether there is reliable evidence of Shakespeare existence. But not with Jesus - the God, who (according to Christians) wants everyone to be saved following Jesus, should at least take a little care to make the evidence of Jesus existence obvious to anyone, not only to those who already believe in it, and therefore need no evidence at all. This is not at all difficult for an omnipotent and omniscent deity, so there must be a reason it hasn't been done.

Im still having trouble finding my soul, can you tell me where it is located? once i've located it then how do i determin if its condition is "desperate".

So is there evidence to support the "soul" theory? (please no bible quotes *yawn*)... real evidence, peer reviewed and all...

:D
The closest I can get to describing the soul is your own personal, unique, and sacred perception of how the world is exposed to you. How you see everything, both with your own eyes and with your own heart. Some see a plant, others see a rose, both will dissapear in time.

No evidence whatsoever...but if you find yours, you will get closer to your real connection with the universe. Try to picture your whole being as a drop of water existing as one with a beautiful lake.

Christianity starts with the individual first coming to grips with the desperate condition of their soul

Communism started with the individual first coming to grips with the desperate condition of their life - which, unlike soul, was real and evident to anyone. And, like Christianity, the idea was great if you don't go into details (like who's gonna do septic tank cleaning). Unfortunately, no implementation of Communism ever worked. Seems like it's the same with Christianity.

The closest I can get to describing the soul is your own personal, unique, and sacred perception of how the world is exposed to you. How you see everything, both with your own eyes and with your own heart. Some see a plant, others see a rose, both will dissapear in time.

No evidence whatsoever...but if you find yours, you will get closer to your real connection with the universe. Try to picture your whole being as a drop of water existing as one in a beautiful lake.

So what you have said in a roundabout way is that your soul is just part of your imagination?
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

No evidence whatsoever...but if you find yours, you will get closer to your real connection with the universe. Try to picture your whole being as a drop of water existing as one with a beautiful lake.

So what you have said in a roundabout way is that your soul is just part of your imagination?

Yes thats it.

Im still having trouble finding my soul, can you tell me where it is located?

You'll know it if you have one. :P If you can't find yours, then this may not be a pertinent topic for you.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Thank you for CONFIRMING my point.

Im still having trouble finding my soul, can you tell me where it is located?

You'll know it if you have one. :P If you can't find yours, then this may not be a pertinent topic for you.

linz

I have proof I have a soul.

I have the receipt right here, for when I sold it.
Remster

If you believe that the most sacred part of your being is just "a part of your imagination", then no one can show you otherwise. If your life is not sacred to you, then you would believe it is your imagination. As it is, our life is the greatest gift we can give someone. There is no greater love than when a freind gives his life for you. This love exists in this universe and it is beyond even the imagination. You do have an existance without the flesh, when it is not satisfied, you will know.

Thank you for CONFIRMING my point***

I am always glad to be of help. But just so I understand how I have been helpful, what point did I confirm for you?

So is there evidence to support the "soul" theory? (please no bible quotes *yawn*)... real evidence, peer reviewed and all.***

I know you can pick youself out of a group photo. The soul, or what ever you wish to call it, consists of self consciousness, volition, emotion, spiritual self awareness( for some), etc. I believe it is a spiritual entity housed in a physical body. A body without a soul is dead, a soul without a functioning brain is limited in its physical expression. If all your brain needed was electrical energy and a few connecting neurons to function, then when you died we could stick a couple of electrodes into your brain and you would be right as rain.

Christianity starts with the individual first coming to grips with the desperate condition of their soul

Communism started with the individual first coming to grips with the desperate condition of their life - which, unlike soul, was real and evident to anyone. And, like Christianity, the idea was great if you don't go into details (like who's gonna do septic tank cleaning). Unfortunately, no implementation of Communism ever worked. Seems like it's the same with Christianity.***

I would like to consider you comparison, but you lost me. Could you please elaborate a little bit more, and connect a few of the loose ends in your statement.