BillyVance

Is God trying to tell us something?

The trouble with you is you cannot stand the truth....a typical American trait in these end days.

I am not self righteous, just a determined person to tell the truth. Americans are not used to hearing much of itthese days.

Telling the truth isn't being hypocritical either.

Tell me the truth ... Did your God, according to your Bible, drown almost every man, woman, and child on earth?

Let not also forget that the all loving god of teh bible did kill a few other people..

paste So far I come up with a total of 2,391,421 (not including, at least in some cases, women and children). SAB, Brick Testament Number Killed Cumulative Total

Lot's wife for looking back Gen.19:26, BT 1 1
Er who was "wicked in the sight of the Lord" Gen.38:7, BT 1 2

Onan for spilling his seed Gen.38:10, BT 1 3
Pharaoh and 600 chariot captains (plus his entire army) Ex.14:8-26 601+ 604+

For dancing naked around Aaron's golden calf Ex.32:27-28, 35, BT 3000 3604+

Aaron's sons for offering strange fire before the Lord Lev.10:1-3, Num.3:4, 26:61, BT 2 3606+

A blasphemer Lev.24:10-23, BT 1 3607+

A man who picked up sticks on the Sabbath Num.15:32-36, BT 1 3608+

Korah, Dathan, and Abiram (and their families) Num.16:27, BT 12+ 3620+

Burned to death for offering incense Num.16:35, 26:10, BT 250 3870+

For complaining Num.16:49, BT 14,700 18,570+
For "committing whoredom with the daughters of Moab" Num.25:9, BT 24,000 42,570+

Midianite massacre (32,000 virgins were kept alive) Num.31:1-35, BT 90,000+ 132,570+

God tells Joshua to stoned to death Achan (and his family) for taking the accursed thing. Joshua 7:10-12, 24-26, BT 5+ 132,575+

God tells Joshua to attack Ai and do what he did to Jericho (kill everyone). Joshua 8:1-25, BT 12,000 144,575+

Joshua kills 5 kings and hangs their dead bodies on trees Joshua 10:24-26, BT 5 144,580+

God delivered Canaanites and Perizzites Judges 1:4, BT 10,000 154,580+

Ehud delivers a message from God: a knife into the king's belly Jg.3:15-22, BT 1 154,581+

God delivered Moabites Jg.3:28-29, BT 10,000 164,581+

God forces Midianite soldiers to kill each other. Jg.7:2-22, 8:10, BT 120,000 284,581+

The Spirit of the Lord comes on Samson Jg.14:19, BT 30 284,611+

The Spirit of the Lord comes mightily on Samson Jg.15:14-15, BT 1000 285,611+

Samson's God-assisted act of terrorism Jg.16:27-30, BT 3000 288,611+

"The Lord smote Benjamin" Jg.20:35-37, BT 25,100 313,711+

More Benjamites Jg.20:44-46 25,000 338,711+

For looking into the ark of the Lord 1 Sam.6:19 50,070 388,781+

God delivered Philistines 1 Sam.14:12 20 388,801+

Samuel (at God's command) hacks Agag to death 1 Sam.15:32-33 1 388,802+

"The Lord smote Nabal." 1 Sam.25:38 1 388,803+

Uzzah for trying to keep the ark from falling 2 Sam.6:6-7, 1 Chr.13:9-10 1 388,804+

David and Bathsheba's baby boy 2 Sam.12:14-18 1 388,805+

Seven sons of Saul hung up before the Lord 2 Sam.21:6-9 7 388,812+

From plague as punishment for David's census (men only; probably 200,000 if including women and children) 2 Sam.24:13, 1 Chr.21:7 70,000+ 458,812+

A prophet for believing another prophet's lie 1 Kg.13:1-24 1 458,813+

Religious leaders killed in prayer contest 1 Kg.18:22-40 450 459,263+

God delivers the Syrians into the Israelites' hands 1 Kg.20:28-29 100,000 559,263+

God makes a wall fall on Syrian soldiers 1 Kg.20:30 27,000 586,263+

God sent a lion to eat a man for not killing a prophet 1 Kg.20:35-36 1 586,264+

Ahaziah is killed for talking to the wrong god. 2 Kg.1:2-4, 17, 2 Chr.22:7-9 1 586,265+

Burned to death by God 2 Kg.1:9-12 102 586,367+

God sends two bears to kill children for making fun of Elisha's bald head 2 Kg.2:23-24 42 586,409+

Trampled to death for disbelieving Elijah 2 Kg.7:17-20 1 586,410+

Jezebel 2 Kg.9:33-37 1 586,411+

God sent lions to kill "some" foreigners 2 Kg.17:25-26 3+ 586,414+

Sleeping Assyrian soldiers 2 Kg.19:35, 2 Chr.32:21, Is.37:36 185,000 771,414+

Saul 1 Chr.10:14 1 771,415+

God delivers Israel into the hands of Judah 2 Chr.13:15-17 500,000 1,271,415+

Jeroboam 2 Chr.13:20 1 1,271,416+

"The Lord smote the Ethiopians." 2 Chr.14:9-14 1,000,000 2,271,416+

God kills Jehoram by making his bowels fall out 2 Chr.21:14-19 1 2,271,417+

Judean soldiers 2 Chr.28:6 120,000 2,391,417+

Ezekiel's wife Ezek.24:15-18 1 2,391,418+

Ananias and Sapphira Acts 5:1-10 2 2,391,420+

Herod Acts 12:23, BT 1 2,391,421+

All I know is that:

God said: Abe, kill me a son.
Abe said: Man, you must be putting me on.
God said: NOOOOO!!!!!!
Abe said: What???????
God said: You can do what you want, but next time you see me coming you better ruuuuuuuun!
Abe said: Where you want this killing done?
God said: Out on highway 61!

This just about sums it all up!;):PB|:D:):D:D:D

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

If you can get a life, it could only be an improvement of intelligence from what you exhibit now.

Anything would help.

Why don't you enlighten us with your intelligence ... If some of your children are saints and some of your children are sinners would you consider yourself to be a loving father if you killed all of your children to punish the sinners?

It seems to me that you may not fully understand what a sinner or a saint really is. Its not one or the other, it has to do with desire. First of all, we are all sinners, its just not all of us desire to be. A saint is the name given to those who desire to bring the love of God to others in the way that they recieved it. Righteousness is a gift, its what the power of life is all about, if you find righteosness, you will find life. A saints vision of righteousness is absolute perfection. As long as he hopes for perfection, his desire will be to get there. No one gets to that desire without grace (the love of God) It has very little to do with lifestyle and everything to do with the heart. A saint lives with an inspired understanding of the what it means to fear God. Many of you do not fear him and that is what you may never be able to see. Those who follow Jesus hope and pray that mercy will be shown to all, but its what we accept and how we accept it that brings us the peace in Christ. When they asked Jesus to show us a sign, Jesus said, "A wicked and adulterous generation wants a sign, but none will be given". Knowing everything that we have said and done against God and still expecting a sign is not right. Even if he did send a sign, people would still not believe. He has given us the Holy Spirit through his own blood, trust me, that is more than acceptable.

There are so many errors in these posts, I really dont know where to begin. Jesus is all about grace and truth. None of us can stand in front of God as innocent, not even the "super christians". It is only because of Gods justice being satisfied on the cross by his own love for us that we can even find life. We deserve everything we get, including Christians. If you want truth, pray for mercy with all your heart, and hope that your prayer is without doubt. Give thanks for everything that happens good and bad, and dont let the darkness which is consuming more and more seperate you from the truth.
"We didn't start the fire"

There's always a message, and there's always a lesson for each of us to learn. Whether we listen to the Gospel, or that little voice inside, or the Radiant Is, or whatever, the important thing is to learn the things we need to learn. Non-Christians are no less capable of being honest and hearing the truth than Christians are. We're not all working on the same questions, and the same question can have more than one right answer.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I realize this gets to the fundamental distinction of the 2 camps (one being faith-based and the other relying on deductive reasoning); but isn't your being so sure about what you feel you know without much to support your assertions, while dismissing what others think they know via deductive logic a bit like saying I know you are but what am I.

It does. We all had a huge conversation about this very subject in a previous thread. You have to respect the dividing line between the two, it is impenetrable. It is literally two completely different perceptions of the same world. One sees what the other does not and visa versa. I would hardly say that those who believe however, dont use deductive logic, its just logic and reason that is out of the perception of those who do not believe. Since I am a believer, I believe there was wisdom in the "beginning". Others do not.

There's always a message, and there's always a lesson for each of us to learn. Whether we listen to the Gospel, or that little voice inside, or the Radiant Is, or whatever, the important thing is to learn the things we need to learn. Non-Christians are no less capable of being honest and hearing the truth than Christians are. We're not all working on the same questions, and the same question can have more than one right answer.

linz

Oh Linz, you must think I am so biggoted:)

LOL. What's kind of funny is that I used to think like you, too. I don't reject Jesus. I think there's a lot to learn from the Bible. But I'm not led through life by the Gospel, and I am open to the lessons and truths that are taught outside the Church.

linz.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

:DSince you listen to truth, do you speak the truth as well? Have you read the Gospel?

I try to always speak the truth. And yes, I have read the Gospel. I have read most of the Bible (though it's been a while), and I do not believe it contains "the truth." It's just a book written by men.

:DSince you listen to truth, do you speak the truth as well? Have you read the Gospel?

I try to always speak the truth. And yes, I have read the Gospel. I have read most of the Bible (though it's been a while), and I do not believe it contains "the truth." It's just a book written by men.

I also try to always speak the truth. I was trying to get creative for some reason in how I was asking if youve read the Gospel. I didnt mean for it to sound disrespectful, it was a sincere question, so I just wanted to make sure you know that first.

It is funny to me that people believe that just becuase they know the Gospel, that they speak the truth to God. God doesnt care what we know. He demands that we speak the truth from our hearts to him. If we believe we are not guilty of sin, (sins very job is to seperate us from God) then we are not speaking the truth to God.

The Gospel (and the entire bible) is written by man, but it is inspired by the Holy Spirit, therefore it is actually written by God. It is the hallowed book of righteousness, but there is soooooo much more power in it than just finding truth. There is love that touches the deepest parts of our hearts. That is what seems to be its greatest connection with man.

The Gospel (and the entire bible) is written by man, but it is inspired by the Holy Spirit, therefore it is actually written by God. It is the hallowed book of righteousness, but there is soooooo much more power in it than just finding truth. There is love that touches the deepest parts of our hearts. That is what seems to be its greatest connection with man.

I am glad that you get that out of the Bible and that it works for you. But I do not believe in God, so of course I do not believe that the Bible is written by God, and I personally find it of little use or inspiration to me.

But luckily for me, I find inspiration, love, etc., in other things. :)

I am glad that you get that out of the Bible and that it works for you. But I do not believe in God, so of course I do not believe that the Bible is written by God, and I personally find it of little use or inspiration to me.

But luckily for me, I find inspiration, love, etc., in other things. :)

Yes, I have no doubt that you do.

I would hardly say that those who believe however, dont use deductive logic, its just logic and reason that is out of the perception of those who do not believe.

Then it's not logic and reason.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

It is funny to me that people believe that just becuase they know the Gospel, that they speak the truth to God.

Read your words very carefully, repeatedly, if necessary, and then explain to us why you are not one of those people you speak of.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

The errors are only there when itis misread without Spiritual direction and understanding.

So your all powerful, all knowing, all etc... God created your Bible but only those people with "spiritual direction and understanding" can read it correctly ... :D

What kind and loving god would write something that the vast majority of the people cannot read to understand?

He must also be responsible for the instructions behind California's 540 tax form.

He must be related to this one philosophy professor I had for Symbolic Logic. Or maybe it was me.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I realize this gets to the fundamental distinction of the 2 camps (one being faith-based and the other relying on deductive reasoning); but isn't your being so sure about what you feel you know without much to support your assertions, while dismissing what others think they know via deductive logic a bit like saying I know you are but what am I.

It does. We all had a huge conversation about this very subject in a previous thread. You have to respect the dividing line between the two, it is impenetrable. It is literally two completely different perceptions of the same world. One sees what the other does not and visa versa. I would hardly say that those who believe however, dont use deductive logic, its just logic and reason that is out of the perception of those who do not believe. Since I am a believer, I believe there was wisdom in the "beginning". Others do not.

So what do you do when a fundamentalist interpretation is completely out of sync with observable facts, investigation and experimentation, etc? In my opinion that is one of the methods (science) putting proof on the table, and the other (faith) saying they don't believe it because it clashes with the way they wish things were based on ancient systems of belief.

To me it is the equivalent of a modern man studying chemistry and insisting that there are only four elements, because a several hundred year's old book says so. The 4 elements theory is very interesting (and valuable) as a means of understanding what has lead up to current methods and thinking; but to insist it is accurate is ludicrous.

If you are not of that school of interpretation, then my statements are directed to those that are of the strict fundamentalist type.

I used to accept the apologetics that were of the to-each-his-own ilk. But when an educator starts telling school age kids that the Grand Canyon truly is only a couple thousand years old, and other such tripe, then it is beyond personal choice and is damaging to society.

I really can not fathom wanting something to be so true so badly that a person abandons critical thought, logic, and hundreds of years of building ever more accurate knowledge as if it were just the flotsam of society.

When science, which has only the accumulation of knowledge as an agenda, penetrates the kind of lie I mentioned, then the it's-just-2-different-ways-of-looking line isn't good enough.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

LOL. What's kind of funny is that I used to think like you, too. I don't reject Jesus. I think there's a lot to learn from the Bible. But I'm not led through life by the Gospel, and I am open to the lessons and truths that are taught outside the Church.

linz.

This made me think of a billboard on the PA turnpike. It says "Jesus, Accept or Reject". I don't see it as that clear cut. I agree, that some of the teachings of the Bible are truly good ones, how to live in peace, get along, help others, the basics of how to live a good life. Teachings that are similar to virtually every philosophical and religous doctrine.

I have tried very hard in my life to be a good Christian, that is how I was raised. But I never really felt it in my heart, I don't feel that Jesus is real and there and part of me, no matter how open I was and how badly I wanted to believe in that kind of truth.

Is that rejection of Jesus that I walked away from the Christian church because I could no longer bear the hypocrisy of pretending to believe something that just never really fit with me? I don't feel that I've rejected anything, only accepted the fact that I am human, I have to do the best I can in this life with the tools that I have and the nature of my spirit. That's exactly what I am doing, and I've found so much more peace and joy on this path than I've ever known before. As a result I'm better equipped to give to and care for others.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

It says "Jesus, Accept or Reject".

I have no issues with respecting and studying stories (myth or not doesn't much matter) about a guy that advocated all of us being nice to each other, even to the point of giving up his life for those values.

But that's not we're really talking about.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Hmm. Yesterday the California Supreme Court reached a decision that will allow gay marriage in California. Today the forecast for this weekend is gorgeous. 70F and sunny in SF, mid-80's in San Diego - going to be a good beach weekend.

Is God trying to tell California something?

Hmm. Yesterday the California Supreme Court reached a decision that will allow gay marriage in California. Today the forecast for this weekend is gorgeous. 70F and sunny in SF, mid-80's in San Diego - going to be a good beach weekend.

Yes, he's telling us that we should go to the beach. :P

It's all about the fun and calm before the storm hits.

I just can't decide if it's going to be raining fireballs or the next big earthquake. :D Completely in jest, of course. It would really suck...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

mid-80's in San Diego - going to be a good beach weekend.

He is trying to lure you all to the beach for the tsunami generated by the massive earthquake.

That too.... good one! :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I would hardly say that those who believe however, dont use deductive logic, its just logic and reason that is out of the perception of those who do not believe.

Then it's not logic and reason.

Even simpler. Do you believe there is life greater than just being alive? I believe it is logical to believe there is, as it seems to be the pursuit of most. The pursuit of happiness?? There is reason all throughout that process, but ther are those who do not see it.

It is funny to me that people believe that just becuase they know the Gospel, that they speak the truth to God.

Read your words very carefully, repeatedly, if necessary, and then explain to us why you are not one of those people you speak of.

Its unfortunate that you seem to be against me becuase of my faith. You havent listened to anything that I have said, instead your only listening for ways to prove me wrong. Did you even read the last post in "an atheist speaks"? Or did you just consider me to be shifty in my assertions and now are convinced more than ever that I am ridiculous in thought?

You seem set on calling me on everything that I have said to the extent of even changing my intent. Nevertheless...The Gospel is about truth, its about speaking the entire truth to God. The entire truth will find your guilt and condemnation. Both are covered by the blood of Jesus. I wont be fully honest with you, because I dont want to be ridiculed. I will however be fully honest with God. I have said the only one who isnt a hypocrite is the one who says he is one. I am guilty, I am not innocent, I am dark, I am a sinner, I am not good, and Im shallow in thought, I fall deathly short of the Righteousness of God, and I dont know anything. I seek humbleness. I am in constant remorse, which is joyful in ways that you wont understand until you learn you need to be forgiven. The very combination of remorse and forgiveness is grace.

I wouldnt assume that you believe me to always have been this way, its not your style. I was an advocate for darkness in ways that would definitely suprise you