BillyVance

Is God trying to tell us something?

I would like to consider you comparison, but you lost me. Could you please elaborate a little bit more, and connect a few of the loose ends in your statement.

Sure. The fact someone came with an idea which looks great, and the fact the idea in theory is very good does not really mean it is doable, or even a good idea at all.

So like with Christianity (which according to you started with the individual first coming to grips with the desperate condition of their soul), it does not mean that it is good, it is possible or even there is a soul at all.
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

I would like to consider you comparison, but you lost me. Could you please elaborate a little bit more, and connect a few of the loose ends in your statement.

Sure. The fact someone came with an idea which looks great, and the fact the idea in theory is very good does not really mean it is doable, or even a good idea at all.

So like with Christianity (which according to you started with the individual first coming to grips with the desperate condition of their soul), it does not mean that it is good, it is possible or even there is a soul at all.***

On a theoretical basis, I would agree with you. But I am talking on a personal level. What I mentioned in my previous post was how I became aware of Christianity. And from talking with other Christians, they had a similar introduction.

On a theoretical basis, I would agree with you. But I am talking on a personal level.

On personal level a lot of people would agree that communism/KKK/third reich was a good idea, that it actually worked for them, and they talk to other communists/KKKs/reich members who share the same opinion. It doesn't mean, though, that this idea should now definitely be shared with others, or even worth something.

And from talking with other Christians, they had a similar introduction.

Which is obvious, since if a person did not have similar introduction, you would not consider them Christian. It's similar to making a statement like "I only consider skydivers those who can fly headdown", and then saying that "every skydiver I've ever met could fly headdown".

On a theoretical basis, I would agree with you. But I am talking on a personal level.

On personal level a lot of people would agree that communism/KKK/third reich was a good idea, that it actually worked for them, and they talk to other communists/KKKs/reich members who share the same opinion. It doesn't mean, though, that this idea should now definitely be shared with others, or even worth something.***

I know this won't come as any surprise , but I don't agree with you on this. A saving relationship with God has nothing in common with fascist human regimes. Maybe we can agree that what ever Truth is , it is our duty to seek it out. I will pray that God assists you in your search for the Truth, where ever that may take you.

A saving relationship with God has nothing in common with fascist human regimes.

until you try to force it on the rest of the people.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

> A saving relationship with God has nothing in common with fascist human regimes.

I think there were some Turks circa 1095, some Muslims circa 1148 and some Egyptians circa 1190 who might disagree. We tend to confuse "a saving relationship with God" with "go and kill these people" all too often. (And that's not a trait confined to Christianity.)

I know this won't come as any surprise , but I don't agree with you on this. A saving relationship with God has nothing in common with fascist human regimes.

You need to compare apples to apples. Now you compare personal theoretical things with the /forceful/ implementation. I guess you wouldn't be happy if I compare free healthcare, guaranteed job and pension with Jonardo Bruno, burning people on stakes and multiple attemtps to start teaching creationism in public schools (that's what your "saving relationship with God" ends with).

Maybe we can agree that what ever Truth is , it is our duty to seek it out.

No, we will not agree even on that there is some Truth. We will not agree that even if there is Truth, it is possible to find it, and confirm that you found it. And obviously we will not agree that it is our duty.

I will pray that God assists you in your search for the Truth, where ever that may take you.

If you wanna help - better give me couple of bucks.

If you wanna help - better give me couple of bucks.

Sounds like the beginnings of Tel-Evangalism.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I know this won't come as any surprise , but I don't agree with you on this. A saving relationship with God has nothing in common with fascist human regimes.

You need to compare apples to apples. Now you compare personal theoretical things with the /forceful/ implementation. I guess you wouldn't be happy if I compare free healthcare, guaranteed job and pension with Jonardo Bruno, burning people on stakes and multiple attemtps to start teaching creationism in public schools (that's what your "saving relationship with God" ends with).

Maybe we can agree that what ever Truth is , it is our duty to seek it out.

No, we will not agree even on that there is some Truth. We will not agree that even if there is Truth, it is possible to find it, and confirm that you found it. And obviously we will not agree that it is our duty.

Well thank goodness we can at least agree on a language to communicate in. Just out of curiosity
how do you prioritize your value system. Do you think anything is ever right or wrong. Can something be right intrinsically or is it only right as long as you are not caught doing it?

> A saving relationship with God has nothing in common with fascist human regimes.

I think there were some Turks circa 1095, some Muslims circa 1148 and some Egyptians circa 1190 who might disagree. We tend to confuse "a saving relationship with God" with "go and kill these people" all too often. (And that's not a trait confined to Christianity.)

You know Bill, I think you might actually be someone who would be interesting to talk to if we could ever talk about the same topic at the same time. I don't see the Christian religion as any better or worse than any other of the world religions. I am not a religious Christian.I have taped into the power of Biblical Truths and made them mine. Let us talk about the life changing spiritual Truths in the Bible . And save how people corrupted those teaching for the next conversation.

Well thank goodness we can at least agree on a language to communicate in.

Yeah, even though this is one of four languages I could communicate in :)

Just out of curiosity how do you prioritize your value system. Do you think anything is ever right or wrong.

No. There is nothing which is utterly right, and there is nothing which is utterly wrong. Our value system is subjective, and tends to blame everyone else for our own problems - so what's "right" for you to do, might be "wrong" for someone else to do. Look at yourself - you probably don't like (or at least don't think it's right) when people come to your home trying to sell you something - but you have no problem with the same people who come to your home to tell you about Jesus - even though it's the same kind of distraction. Everyone knows where to buy stuff if they need to, and everyone knows where to learn more about Jesus if they need to.

Can something be right intrinsically or is it only right as long as you are not caught doing it?

Again, it depends on the value system. If you look at the law as one of value systems, it's "right" as long as you're not caught, and even in this case you might be found not guilty. Unfortunately there is no known better system around.

Can something be right intrinsically or is it only right as long as you are not caught doing it?

Again, it depends on the value system. If you look at the law as one of value systems, it's "right" as long as you're not caught, and even in this case you might be found not guilty. Unfortunately there is no known better system around.

So with this system of values or lack of them, what are the ideals you strive for on a daily basis? Are there decisions or actions involving others that are OK for you to do, but are not OK when others do them to you?

So with this system of values or lack of them, what are the ideals you strive for on a daily basis?

I do not have any ideals; I do not need them. Nor I need an imaginary character who would set ideals for me.

Are there decisions or actions involving others that are OK for you to do, but are not OK when others do them to you?

Obviously. No matter what you do or don't do, there will be always a person who would not be OK with that - even if they're not directly affected. For example, a single fact that I don't give a shit about Lord and Saviour would not be OK with a lot of others.

>I don't see the Christian religion as any better or worse than any other of
>the world religions.

I agree. It has been used for great good, and it has been misused to justify terrible things - as most religions have been.

>I have taped into the power of Biblical Truths and made them mine.

That's great. In the end, the only thing that matters is that you have a religion/belief that works for _you._