shorehambeach

Mal - mmmm - what would you have done different ?

Can I ask what you don't like about this.

The bad main packjob? :P

Big empty area, follows freebag and main down, lands safely after performing EPs at what I'm assuming was quite high. It's Holland so unlike America the farmers probably aren't shooting at you.

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see any reason to frame by frame through that vid. The main mal still had nearly twice as much fabric as my normal main does. :P I would've chopped that for sure though.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

shorehambeach

Can I ask what you don't like about this.

Just wondering .....:o

This isn't just a slider hang up. Watch in HD you can see he has loose/knotted lines. I'm guessing he didn't collapse his slider, and the tag end tangled with the other lines...but either way he had some "spaghetti" lines. Also looked like at times it had a slight turn. Just based on the lines on that right side, I also would have chopped it.

Before releasing the brakes he should have tried to work the slider down using rear risers. Canopy is slower and more stable leaving the brakes on.

If working the risers doesn't bring the slider down (and it looks like it might not have done so anyway), go straight for the chop.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Before ANY of that, what happened to looking out of the fucking aircraft before you exit?

15 seconds of obliviousness...

Green light? EXIT!!!

>:(

That's what I would have done differently.

Other than that, good decision on the chop. He tried his control drills, didn't like what he had and took Plan B.

Well taught, well trained, well executed for the EP.

However, Far, far too much focus on following the chopped main, and far too closely.

I would have chopped earlier, it seemed clear that wasn't going anywhere good but if he worked to his hard deck then fine.

His canopy control was a bit shit, especially the last 500 feet.

Also, based on personal experience, I would have dropped my handles.

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

Yea I'm curious what experience you are referring to that would make you so certain you would drop your handles. Is that based just on training or have you had an actual entanglement with handles you kept in your hand? I've had two reserve rides and held on to my handles both times but not because I planned on it. I held onto them because when I pulled and my reserve was out and inflated I noticed I still had the handles in my hands. Seems silly to just toss them at that point just for the sake of throwing them away so I stowed them in my jumpsuit.

I know when I learned my EPs we were taught to throw them but I guess things happened fast enough I didn't have a chance to.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

Ah, the subtle nuances of the written word online.

I was being sarcastic. Based on my experience of a mal, shortly after cutting away and pulling reserve I ejected both handles and then spent two hours walking around in a field looking for them. It's all the rage.

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

CornishChris

Ah, the subtle nuances of the written word online.

I was being sarcastic. Based on my experience of a mal, shortly after cutting away and pulling reserve I ejected both handles and then spent two hours walking around in a field looking for them. It's all the rage.

I understood what you meant, but I am a Brit and I think we tend to assume sarcasm first!

I found it pretty funny.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

The slider was almost all the way open during the snivel. So my guess is that the slider draw strings are the style where there is 2-3" sticking out when fully cocked. Then when packing the slider probably wasn't cocked all the way and left something like 5" of draw string out. This loose draw string snagged on the main lines during opening and caused that side to fully collapse and get stuck as the slider tried to come down.

Always try to leave as little draw string sticking out of the slider when packing

I know the guy who made this video (I might post him the link to this thread), and I've jumped with the canopy myself a couple of times. It's a spectre 230 (he was doing some clear and pulls to practice a large 7-cell since he was planning to take on basejumping).

Your conclusions (in general) are correct:
One of the strings to cock the slider got tangled up with some of his lines on opening. He checked whether he wanted to fly / land the canopy, didn't like what he saw and decided to go for plan B.

He was renting the canopy, and this was the first jump of the day - so he didn't pack the canopy himself before this jump. It's therefore difficult to say how the slider was handled / prepped during packing.

DocPop

***Ah, the subtle nuances of the written word online.

I understood what you meant, but I am a Brit and I think we tend to assume sarcasm first!

I found it pretty funny.

Came across just fine to me also. And I also laughed out load.

Personally the only time I threw my handles was on my first mal, but not until I was ready to reach up and grab the reserves lines so I could crank a 270 riser dive. I had not stowed them yet so I decided to drop them intentionally as I was over the landing area and I wasn't going to waste a jump ticket and not hook it.
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

craddock

******Ah, the subtle nuances of the written word online.

I found it pretty funny.

Came across just fine to me also. And I also laughed out load.

Personally the only time I threw my handles was on my first mal, but not until I was ready to reach up and grab the reserves lines so I could crank a 270 riser dive. I had not stowed them yet so I decided to drop them intentionally as I was over the landing area and I wasn't going to waste a jump ticket and not hook it.

Troll bait?.

But if not......

Thats not a smart piece of thinking for anyone riding a reserve for the first time ever.

"Handled the mal, then damaged himself hooking an unfamiliar canopy".

It's not like it really dove. I had all I could to to get it to come around. I get your point though and you are correct. But I was jumping a 75 on that first mal and was a swooper through and through. There really wasn't much danger in the way I turned that pdr in. Could have bailed out at any moment if needed. Peoples lack of recognizing they need to bail out or speed up the turn to lose less altitude is what get them in trouble many times. Recognition is key. That is something that is hard to teach though.

You really want to make fun of me I got one better. A boogie in East Troy when we were not allowed during the boogie to land in the small fenced in back yard playgound reserved for experienced jumpers. Had mal and since I had only one rig and was done for the day I swooped the back yard with my 106r. When the S&TA came out to give me hell I made him aware I was on my reserve so I wanted to do what was familiar. I always swooped the "back yard" so I didn't want to take an unfamiliar canopy and land in the main landing area that I had never been before. ;)

That was then this is now. I had a problem (addiction) back then.

That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

Fair enough, my point was aimed more at less experienced jumpers who might think this is a good idea.

A safe landing after a reserve ride should be priority #1.

You've already had your moneys worth on that jump, dealing successfully with the mal.

And S&TA's don't really need the extra hassle, so winding them up isn't such a good idea. It can be a shit job at the best of times.

Fair enough back. But it is not like the goal or intention is to wind them up. It is just a by product of ones own selfishness or addiction.

Problem is some S&TA should have a better approach. Especially at a smaller DZ where they are really not that busy. Sit them down and try and get the point across. I didn't get it for years. I was very good at what I did(and safe in my mind) but I was setting horrible examples and I have a few things hanging over my head now as a result. People that did things because of my actions(not just in one sport).
But people don't go to AA and get bitched at by the counselor for being an idiot. Nor is that the approach for those addicted to drugs. Granted this is radically different and they do make a choice to take that drink or get high again, but for some that choice is difficult.

How about this example.... I was at SDC and went looking by myself for a helmet w/protrack that a girl lost on a jump. While out there I came across a wooded section on a hill with a gently winding trail that ultimately turned 90 and dropped into a small cow grazing area. I instantly observed the wood's canopy as being possibly high enough to squeeze underneath and imagined a run down this path.

A couple weeks later I had a dumb low opening after being last out and losing alti awareness on a two way and there was no way of making it back. Well what to you know I found myself right over the field on the edge of the wooded transition down to the lower clearing at the perfect altitude. There was nothing in the world and no punishment available I think that could have stopped me from what I did next. No one ever saw it and few non farmers even have ever seen the trail much less remotely consider a canopy fitting through it. Not even because of the size but because they would not look at every piece of terrain like an opportunity to rip it up.

I never meant to hurt anyone but I know I did a few and drove others crazy. But don't sit back and think were are being an asshole because we simply don't follow the rules. Sometimes we CAN'T follow the rules. The moment is bigger than the punishment and there is always the next DZ.

Again that was then. I am not the guy I come across as.