Butters

Anger Acceptable for Atheists

The idea that the universe and life may be the result of Intelligent Design does in no way exclude the idea that Evolution took place. Evolution may be a part of the Plan of the Intelligent Design.

Neither does it exclude the idea that our universe is an illusion and that we are all just brains in a jar. Or that our universe is just a speck of dust under a giants fingernail. Or that Oscar the giant squid farted out our universe in its entirety just last tuesday.

Basically, this argument boils down to: anything is possible and you can't prove different so therefore god exists.

It's a complete waste of energy giving it a second thought.

no my point is: Science is not the tool for exploring spiritual matters, and religion is not the tool for exploring physical mechanisms. So it isn't Science if you explain the creation of all the different life forms by just saying "God did it, & that's that!"

The argument will never get resolved between religion & Science because the conflict doesn't exist in the first place. It's only fundamentalists who think that it does.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Science is not the tool for exploring spiritual matters

Why not? Science works for exploring everything physical. It works for exploring psycological and sociological matters. You can even use science to analyse art, sport, and just about anything else you can think of. Hell, I can use science to analyse spirituality if I want to. If someone says ghosts exist, that's a question science can investigate. If someone says Jesus was born of a virgin, that's a scientific question. If someone says there is an intelligent force at work in the universe, that is a question science can investigate. People have spent their entire careers doing just that. Why do you want to stop that investigation?

The argument will never get resolved between religion & Science because the conflict doesn't exist in the first place. It's only fundamentalists who think that it does.

It does exist otherwise people wouldn't spend countless hours debating it. Intelligent Design wouldn't get foisted onto science curriculums, people wouldn't get bent out of shape over evolution and we'd all live much quieter lives. The overlap definately exists, you just think we should ignore it.

>It does exist otherwise people wouldn't spend countless hours debating it.

People spend countless hours debating creationism. Does that mean creationism exists?

>Science works for exploring everything physical.

Yes. And religion/morality works to explore everything spiritual.

>If someone says there is an intelligent force at work in the universe, that
>is a question science can investigate. People have spent their entire
>careers doing just that. Why do you want to stop that investigation?

Yes, you could use science to do that. And it would be as useful as analyzing the morality of the Higgs Boson, and deciding whether it existed based on whether its morals were similar to ours.

Your comparison between pyramids and the universe to make the point that they both have a builder doesn't make sense. We assume people built the pyramids because we know that people were here, so it follows that they built the pyramids. Were there no people we'd look for an alternative explanation. There is no evidence for any "builder" of the universe. When looking for the origins, we look for evidence. Some people, rather than paying attention to evidence, prefer to assume there must be a builder like there is for the pyramids.

linz

My pyramid analogy is in reference to how ordered states become disordered without the input of energy(entropy). I welcome evidence, but I keep my mind open to logical possibilities when all of the evidence has not been discovered . To tell you the truth, how or if God created the universe is just a side note compared to the importance of how He meets the personal needs of my spiritual life.

>My pyramid analogy is in reference to how ordered states become
>disordered without the input of energy(entropy).

That's true. In order for life to have developed on earth, you'd have to assume there is some massive external source of energy driving the processes of life on this planet.

99.999% of the planet Earth has never been directly observed at all. ***

If we were talking about the same thing your point would be valid. I am not referring to things that are unobserved, I am referring to things that are unknown.

>If we were talking about the same thing your point would be valid.
>I am not referring to things that are unobserved, I am referring to things
>that are unknown.

Things that are unobserved are not directly known. They are _indirectly_ known. We know what the interior of the earth is like because we can use seismographs, neutrino detectors, magnetic sensors etc to deduce what's inside. Likewise, we know what the structure of the universe is like because we can observe what happens to light that passes all the way through it, we can measure the relative change in velocities (and thus overall mass) we can measure cooling at the edges of nebulae etc.

There is, of course, lots of stuff we don't know about the universe. For example, we don't know what happened in the first 10e-35 seconds of its creation at all. After the first 10e-11 seconds we have a pretty good idea. The smart money would being on us learning more and more as time goes on, as has happened for the past few centuries.

People spend countless hours debating creationism. Does that mean creationism exists?

Isn't that what the debate is about? Figuring out if creationism has any merit? People obviously think it does. Whatever is true is almost irrelevant in this case, it's what people percieve to be true that shapes the world we live in.

Yes. And religion/morality works to explore everything spiritual.

And what objective method do you use to tell if you've arrived at some spiritual truth?

If you use religion, all you're doing is filtering your spiritual whatever through that religions dogma to see if it's compatible. If you use morality, who's morality do you use?

It looks to me like spiritual reality is whatever you want it to be. There doesn't seem to be any objective method you can use to test any of it. In fact, I'm having a hard time finding a coherent definition of the word spirituality, it's pretty much a meaningless concept.

Yes, you could use science to do that. And it would be as useful as analyzing the morality of the Higgs Boson, and deciding whether it existed based on whether its morals were similar to ours.

No, that's not what I mean. If there is an intelligence at work in the universe, it should leave some discernable evidence. If ghosts can be seen by human eyeballs, they should be measurable by instrumentation. Religion and sprituality do pose questions that can be investigated using scientific methods.

Honestly, the morality of an inanimate object is a pretty wild contortion to make a point there Bill.

I quoted your entire response so as to maintain the context.

Would you clarify the highlighted section above?
Do you mean "acceptable" to you through your religious worldview?
Or do you mean "acceptable" as an absolute?

VR/Marg

As a person who values logic over religious superstition, I feel the probability of everything turning out like it has is to extreme to have happened by " chance occurrence". To steal an analogy it would be odds similar to a tornado going through a junk yard and instead of leaving a bigger mess than before it came, it instead left a completely assembled 747 jetliner.

That's true. In order for life to have developed on earth, you'd have to assume there is some massive external source of energy driving the processes of life on this planet.

:D:D:D
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

As a person who values logic over religious superstition, I feel the probability of everything turning out like it has is to extreme to have happened by " chance occurrence". To steal an analogy it would be odds similar to a tornado going through a junk yard and instead of leaving a bigger mess than before it came, it instead left a completely assembled 747 jetliner.

And yet the odds of an entity powerful and smart enough to have created a universe out of nothing while simultaneously farting himslf into existence are a dead cert.

>To steal an analogy it would be odds similar to a tornado going through
>a junk yard and instead of leaving a bigger mess than before it came, it
>instead left a completely assembled 747 jetliner.

Ah, but that's not how it works. No process imaginable can create, in one tornado, a 747 (or a human being.)

But imagine the same tornado hitting the same junkyard a million times in a row. And further imagine that just one time, it leaves a landing gear standing on its tires. Now it can roll back and forth. And from an evolutionary point of view, that's all it takes to start the process - one functioning bit.

>And what objective method do you use to tell if you've arrived at
>some spiritual truth?

You do not. You use a subjective method, since spirituality is unique to each person.

> If you use morality, who's morality do you use?

Your own.

>It looks to me like spiritual reality is whatever you want it to be.

To a large degree, yes. It doesn't have to meet any standards of consistency or validity other than your own.

>If there is an intelligence at work in the universe, it should leave
>some discernable evidence.

Why? Even today, we could create a rock in a laboratory that is not measurably different than a rock from a quarry.

>My pyramid analogy is in reference to how ordered states become
>disordered without the input of energy(entropy).

BWAHAHAHA!!!! I've heard that before, and it STILL cracks me up.

:)
linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

The argument will never get resolved between religion & Science because the conflict doesn't exist in the first place.

Maybe in your particular brand of religion God has never tinkered with the running of the universe, but millions of people out there would beg to differ.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

>Science works for exploring everything physical.

Yes. And religion/morality works to explore everything spiritual...

And physical.

Please, do not equate religion with morality. Unless you're working from your own dictionary they simply are not the same thing.

>Please, do not equate religion with morality.

I would argue that one's personal views on religion and morality are quite close indeed - but that established religions are a completely different animal. (In some cases, the views of the established religion and one's personal views on religion are very congruent, but that's not universal.)

>It looks to me like spiritual reality is whatever you want it to be.

To a large degree, yes. It doesn't have to meet any standards of consistency or validity other than your own.

If it has no objective coherence or validity, then spirituality is of limited use. For me it's of no use since it's essentially meaningless.

Why? Even today, we could create a rock in a laboratory that is not measurably different than a rock from a quarry.

What, am I not allowed to even look?

It seems to me you have misunderstood two separate points about human evolution.
1. Did humans evolve from a non human ancestor?
2. What is the date and sequence for that evolution?

I have to admit that I'm a bit of a constructivist (in the sense that the term is used in mathematical philosophy). I do admit that it is possible to answer 1 without answering 2. But I tend to be much more comfortable with the answer to 1 when I see the answer to 2 as well. When I see the answer to 1 but not 2, I tend to continually say, in essence--yes, evolution may explain this but is there a third theory--neither evolution nor "creationism" that does even better? That might, in particular, do a better job of pointing us to an answer to 2? When I see the answer to 2 as well, I tend to be much more at ease with the answer.

In a similar way we might ask
1 did a murder take place? and
2 who committed the murder?

Lets assume we cannot answer question 2, that does not in any way imply that we cannot answer question 1 .

This is actually a good analogy in the sense that it perhaps illustrates the reasons for my unease. If you can answer 1 but not 2, then you have an unsolved crime on your hands. It is an uneasy, uncomfortable, situation. No one is going to be satisfied with a situation where you can answer 1 but not 2. If you are a detective in a position where you can answer 1 but not 2, it is a situation that calls for profound humility--not arrogance.

As to my boss’s so cavalier attitude, I can only assume I work at an institution that makes a lot more money than yours. 40 lots of Eurodollar futures has PV01 OF $1000 , last year I alone made several tens of millions of dollars trading so I and my boss would certainly consider that sort of position so negligible that we would ignore it. Perhaps for someone that makes very little money that might be considered a big position , for us, it is peanuts. I guess that backs up my point that 4% difference is not necessarily a big deal, it all depends. Again I feel I need to repeat the point . if we cant pin down when human and chimps split to within 4% difference that would have no bearing on whether or nor it happened.

The trading desk I worked on wanted all decisions to be impeccable whether the effect on the bottom line was $100M or just $100. Yes, if a reasoned decision was made to sacrifice $100 to make $100M, obviously they would make that tradeoff. But if someone made a careless error costing the desk $100 without a clear explanation, they tended to hear about it from the bosses, even if that person had an overall positive contribution to P&L many orders of magnitude larger.

I wasn't as successful as I could have been on that desk because I tended to make the assumption--I guess valid on your desk--that small errors would be overlooked if the overall results were good. That was a bad assumption to make on my trading desk though it might be valid elsewhere on Wall Street. On my desk they wanted all decisions, large and small, to be impeccable. It was simply the corporate philosophy at my firm and I didn't learn it well enough to be really successful at trading--though I can see where other firms might have a different philosophy. It has served that firm well, though--even though I still don't fully agree with it myself.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

>Please, do not equate religion with morality.

I would argue that one's personal views on religion and morality are quite close indeed

How so?

At best, morality is but a small part of what comes under the umbrella of religion. Other parts of religion would usually include such things as how the universe was made, who or what made it, which bits of the universe they have since tinkered with etc. These are all physical things. So, while moral philosophy obviously does not conflict with science, it is simply bogus to equate religion with just moral philosophy.

THey just cant get their heads around the fact that 3000 years ago.. the book as written and decipherd by the available intelligence of goat herders....may not be able to descibe time units in the context it was "revealed" to them.