gmanpilot

Is there a Congress-Baseball connection?

When I turned on the TV mid-morning, ALL of the major news channels were broadcasting the Clemens testimony. WTF!?...it pissed me off. IMO, sticking it's nose in the business of MLB is NOT a legitimate function of government.

MLB struck a Faustian bargain with the federal government a long time ago. When MLB got protection from anti-combine legislation it was under the guise that baseball is a legitimate concern of the government.
The existence of a multi-state prohibited drug racket is always a concern of government, and the possibility that officials of MLB are complicit either by act or by omission is also their concern.

There is a BIG involvement. Baseball has an exemption from anti-trust legislation. They have a government authorized monopoly.

Furthermore, the vast involvement of illegal subtances alleged indicates that there is something going on with the organization itself.

Congress has a lot to do with baseball.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I was thinking the same thing and had the same reaction.
Apparently they will be looking in to the NFL Spy incident as well.
Love seeing my tax dollars at work for the things that really matter.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

I tried to watch the 'hearings' and got disgusted with the 'grand-standing' politicians. What I want to know is, they have syringes, gauze pads and etc, claiming these items were used in injecting Clemens with steroids. I haven't heard if, anyone checked the DNA on this evidence. To me, it's he said this and he said that. Typical Washington antics.

Chuck

I'm pissed my tax dollars were used ALL day for something that amounts to nothing.

It was just a forum for Clemens to talk all damn day.

What are they going to prosecute him for? Perjury? As if they'll prove that. :S

And do we not have more pertinent issues the news could be covering (and my tax dollars paying for)?

SO stupid. :S

Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

There is a BIG involvement. Baseball has an exemption from anti-trust legislation. They have a government authorized monopoly.

Furthermore, the vast involvement of illegal subtances alleged indicates that there is something going on with the organization itself.

Congress has a lot to do with baseball.

Dam, I forgot about all of this. Thanks for the reminder
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Apparently they will be looking in to the NFL Spy incident as well.

I'm almost speechless that taxpayers think it's ok for them to be nosing around in a private league like that. If the NFL/MLB can't police it's own, then the people in charge should get the boot and they should hire folks that can do the job. The government has no business doing it.

I'm pissed my tax dollars were used ALL day for something that amounts to nothing.

Me too. Get back to work BITCHES!!

it's an election year; they ain't doing shit. Sometimes having them puff hot air is preferable to them pulling new legislation out of their ass.

Me too. Get back to work BITCHES!!

Better than using them to kill people in an illicit war.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Better than using them to kill people in an illicit war.

I can't help but to visualize high velocity human cannonballs. I wonder if representatives or senators inflict the most damage downrange.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Congress-Baseball connections.
Jim Bunning: Former pitcher for Tigers and Phillies, now a second term senator from Kentucky.
George W. Bush: Former second baseman at Yale, former part-owner of the Rangers, now 43rd President of the U.S.
That's just a couple, there may be more.

Now I know there are three things in life that are certain:
1) Death
2) Taxes
3) Kallend interjecting a remark about the war into a thread regardless of the relevance. :D

Good point. But Kallend did let me down in the fact that he forgot to ask, "Did you attend public school?" in this thread. Must have been an off day.
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Good point. But Kallend did let me down in the fact that he forgot to ask, "Did you attend public school?" in this thread. Must have been an off day.

Well, did you? Did you play baseball or softball in a community-funded youth league? Nothing but welfare for the middle class. >:(

Wait...so did I. On both counts. Forget my whining.:$