Gawain

What is Happening in Africa as a Whole?

Skyrad's post about SA brought some thoughts on my end about what is happening in Africa as whole.

Sadly, as much as I want the solution to be freedom, can these countries, tribes, warlords actually digest freedom as a cornerstone to their mutual futures?

Some examples:

Central African Republic -- Dubbed by the Int'l Crisis Group (Brussels) as having dropped below the level of even that of a failed state. "It has become virtually a phantom state, lacking any meaningful institutional capacity at least since the fall of Emperor Bokassa in 1979." That's 30 years. Even with direct French military assistance, CAR is deteriorating further and with African aid soaring, CAR is getting pretty much zilch.

Kenya -- In the wake of a sham election, Kenya is dipping into ethnic cleansing. Even former UN Sec Kofi Annan is not able to bring common ground amongst the factions fighting for power. Ironically, the one big country that has not attempted to aid in stabilization is China. Kenya is China's third biggest trading partner (after the US and UK), some $700+M. China is investing in oil/energy exploration and little else.

Chad -- President Sarkozy of France is stuck between a rock and hard place, having to back a near-dictator-president Deby, who has squandering the country's oil wealth, in the face of World Bank agreements (imagine that). Meanwhile, Sudanese militias cross from Darfur into refugee camps inside Chad.

Those are just a few of the "headliners" per se.

So, big picture view: What is it that prevents the acceptance of "legitimate" debate and free elections and the "harmony" of democracy in this region of the world?

Is this a flaw of democracy per se -- unified movements against a single government is workable, but multi-tribes refuse to see the forest for the trees and do not allow the function of free ideas?

How is order brought to such places without an iron fist?
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

If that were my area of expertise, my strategy would first be to look at the success stories and the places that are struggling – at times very slowly – toward success (e.g., Angola). Just as the US is not Mexico is not Canada … so Morocco and the Western Sahara are not Democratic Republic of Congo is not Tunisia is not Botswana.

The latter is where I would start – look at Botswana, which got independence from Britain in the 1960s and which has had the highest per capita growth rate of any country world wide over the last 35 years, e.g., see KSG’s report from 2001 or the more recent CFR report “Botswana: An African Success Story Shows Strains.”

Another case – Somaliland – a breakaway state (almost city-state like, in the UAE model) from Somalia, e.g., “Somaliland is an overlooked African success story,” which has had almost no international support and very little coverage.

Why is Mauritius succeeding? I don’t know.

My speculation is that the critical variable between success and breakdown (perhaps, such as is being observed in Kenya) comes down to the strength of institutions (& not just the usual ones) and governance.

There’s some evidence that one factor to increase likelihood of successful transition to democracy correlates with internet penetration, see e.g., Mike Best’s “The Internet and Democracy: Global catalyst or democratic dud?,” which concluded:

"We approached the question of how the Internet affects democracy from a quantitative standpoint. By means of various statistical studies over an eleven year dataset (1992 to 2002) we found that the Internet was not able to explain significant variation in democracy cores. In contrast, our 2001-2002 results indicated a substantial relationship between Internet usage and democracy. We also found evidence that this Internet-democracy relationship is not absolute; for instance, consider the variability amongst regional results. We find that this correlation maintains even when we control for a nation’s geographic region, economic level (we use GDP per capita), and social development (we use literacy rate as a surrogate measure) – at least for our 2001-2002 data. Our findings suggest that an extra 131 [connections - nerdgirl] per 1,000 people corresponds to a one point jump on the 14 point [standard Freedom House - nerdgirl] democracy index while still accounting for region and socio-economic development. Overall, we find that Internet penetration explains more variation in level of democratic development within a country than does literacy rates and some of the geographic regions. We suggest that the influx of government transparency and NGO efficacy - which the Internet affords - is behind much of the Internet’s statistical success.

Who would have thought that? … but it does make sense when one thinks it through.

One country that Best is studying in more depth is Liberia, which only recently emerged from armed conflict. In that case, it’s not just the spread of the internet but mobile telephony. Liberia’s President, Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, has lauded the role of information and communications technologies in the post-conflict reconstruction and development of her country.

This connection is something that DoD has recognized: BG Paul Capasso wrote about efforts earlier this year on the USAFRICOM ‘blog’, “InfoTech Revolution Empowering Africans, Breaking Down Barriers”: USAFRICOM hopes to support African efforts in implementing their programs and initiatives to forge long-term stability, security, and economic growth through the use of enabling information technologies and effective partnerships.

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

It makes sense that internet connectivity and communications systems in general would tend to promote freedom/democracy. That's what I assume is part (all?) of the purpose of the OLPC project. I doubt that it's a quick/easy fix, but definitely a step in the right direction.

It would be interesting to know the root cause(s) of the problems. Is it a interference or colonization by more developed countries in the past? What about "tribal" conflict going back thousands of years? What about a vicious cycle of corrup leaders preventing freedom, which results in just another corrupt leader, and so on?

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

What is it that prevents the acceptance of "legitimate" debate and free elections and the "harmony" of democracy in this region of the world?

Democracy as I've argued in the past is not a universal truth. It is not the African way. We Europeans came to Africa and in general imposed our rule on the locals as there were shit loads more of them than there were us we used the local tribal structure to our advantage. Africans had a hieracial structure to their society which made it easier for us to bung a wedge or cattle at the tribal chiefs or if they were not playing ball find one of his cousins or brother who was willing to get rid of the chief in return for our support and wealth in return they'd play ball. When they got to upperty we'd send in our troops or local Africans who we'd pressed into the army who were often from rival tribes and only to happy to give the upstarts the good news on the end of a bayonet. Then we'd start all over again with another more plyable chief in charge and bung him a wedge.
Thing is nothing much has changed, most black Africans are quite child like when it comes to money and have little sense in managing it. Thanks to Christian misionarys wanting to spread the word they allowed converts to keep remnants of their ancestor worship and mix it with Christianity. One result is that many Africans believe that the more you spend on a lavish funeral and the more you have the more likely God will look faviourably on you when you die.
Power here has always been ostentatious
whether it be the number of cattle you own or the flashiness of your car its just the way it is.
African leaders have to be seen to be strong and seen to be wealthy. Any wonder then why they are an easy mark for our corporations and governments. I wonder how long it will take before the black government of South Africa turn this awesome country into a new version of Zimbabwe.:(
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Just as the US is not Mexico is not Canada

I reckon some of the problem lies in this truth.
If Americans, Canadians and Mexicans were "forced" to live under one rule in a newly created country, and such rule be in the hands of the majority "ethnic" entity, I believe there would be some dissent. Add another 250 Milion Mexicans, and give them therefore power over this new country, and I reckon the 300 Million Americans, now a minority, will not sit happily being ruled by a Mexican dictator (or even a Mexican president duly elected by a majority).
Most borders of African's countries do not follow ethnic or cultural boundaries, but rather some criteria which seemed guess logical to the powers that be in the 20th Century when African countries were give (or took) independence. Probably not the only issue, but a big one in my opinion.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

That's what I assume is part (all?) of the purpose of the OLPC project. I doubt that it's a quick/easy fix, but definitely a step in the right direction.

It's my understanding that the prime motivation behind the One Laptop per Child Project is education. Does the founder have a wider vision to development, perhaps?

There may be additional non-obvious connections: The guy who started OLPC founded the MIT Media Lab ... which is where Mike Best did his PhD and worked as a research scientist prior to his current affiliation.

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but I thought it was obvious that OLPC's long-term goal was more than simply creating a bunch of educated but still-oppressed people. I'm assuming that they expect the education level of the populace to lead somewhere. I'm not sure why else they would want to help educate the kids. Any idea?

Interesting about the apparent OLPC/MIT/Best connection.

jim

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

and bung him a wedge.

can you define this?
I don't think I should even do a websearch on the phrase here at work

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

There is no Africa As A Whole. That's contradiciton in terms. Only an "Africa" as a continent is existing.

Not your US nor our European way of thinking or dealing with economy, internal issues, foreign affairs ..... you name it, could be applied for Africa "as a whole". Also religions draw a line: Northern African parts are mainly Islamic, going south, you'll find Christianity. Not to mention various traditional religions....

No answer at all.

dudeist skydiver # 3105

and bung him a wedge.

can you define this?
I don't think I should even do a websearch on the phrase here at work

Jumping in here perhaps, but basically 'pay him off' or 'bribe him', as in 'bung him a wedge [of cash]'.

Democracy as I've argued in the past is not a universal truth. It is not the African way.

It was not the European way 100 years ago.reply]
Of course the Greeks might disagree.

Neither cultures nor individual people have a natural proclivity towards or against democracy.

I disagree Chineese culture, Arab culture and African culture is inherantly non democratic that doesn't make them wrong just different.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

That's what I assume is part (all?) of the purpose of the OLPC project. I doubt that it's a quick/easy fix, but definitely a step in the right direction.

It's my understanding that the prime motivation behind the One Laptop per Child Project is education. Does the founder have a wider vision to development, perhaps?

There may be additional non-obvious connections: The guy who started OLPC founded the MIT Media Lab ... which is where Mike Best did his PhD and worked as a research scientist prior to his current affiliation.

VR/Marg

Laptops? For the majority of Africans development is having clean water to drink (notice I didn't say clean running water, that would be the next step for many) As for one laptop for one child the guy who came up with that must be a ancestoral relative of Marie Antoinette, I guess laptops are todays cake.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

It was not the European way 100 years ago.reply]
Of course the Greeks might disagree.

Yep. Modern Greek democracy is only about 30 years old, no-where near 100.

I disagree Chineese culture, Arab culture and African culture is inherantly non democratic that doesn't make them wrong just different.

Any culture that is not democratic is inherently undemocratic. Doesn't mean they can't change.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I've only been to africa once (tanzania) and i had some very interesting conversations with people from medicins sans frontiers working in various parts of africa.
bottom line: if you come from a western culture, there is no way to understand how "african" minds work. some argue, that they don't work at all...
one example: on one hand you'll get ice-cooled coke in the tiniest rathole of a settlement, still there is no supply of drinkable water for the next dozen of kilometers...
the problems within this continent are endless, some stem from the colonist past, some from the unableness or unwillingness of the ruling caste to work for their people and some (all? the majority?) from international politics using local governments for their own profit...
africa is defintely a beautiful place and at the same time it is hell on earth
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

From your post I think an important area lies with expectation.

The problems with Africa are too complex and diverse to significantly catalogue here.

But an area perhaps worth considering is our expectation of a solution working now.

We tend to expect results now. When it comes to a nations society significantly changing we're normally talking at least decades. And a continents?

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

From your post I think an important area lies with expectation.

That's a fair point. The west, especially the US, is very results-centric, with little patience for anything.

The problems with Africa are too complex and diverse to significantly catalogue here.

Indeed, however, I was trying to speak in broad terms.

But an area perhaps worth considering is our expectation of a solution working now.

We tend to expect results now. When it comes to a nations society significantly changing we're normally talking at least decades. And a continents?

The African continent seems unique in the sense that these nations are almost too big. How would the continent look today if colonization hadn't occurred?

Even with the relative stability of colonization, which in its wake, barely 30-40 years ago, have these societies advanced as a whole?

Arguments can be made on all sides, and how much the world pays attention is another story. Being Europe's neighbor, Africa has a greater impact than in the west.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

How would the continent look today if colonization hadn't occurred?

Pretty much like it did 100 years ago.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Even with the relative stability of colonization, which in its wake, barely 30-40 years ago, have these societies advanced as a whole?

Arguments can be made on all sides, and how much the world pays attention is another story. Being Europe's neighbor, Africa has a greater impact than in the west.

Could you write that again? I get the feeling you're making an interesting point but the sentences are too confused to make it out.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

A majority of African citizens was/is giving a sh*t on colonization. Their mentality still is thinking like the (former and actual) wandering tribes. They were and still are clannish. Borders have been fixed by colonial powers, not those clans.

Again, something linke "a whole" rudimentary only might exist in SA or does exist in the very northern states of Africa, thus surely affected by tourism market which does in fact not change their real mentality.

What you call "those societies" mainly are old clans, (steeped in tradition) which we, the westerns have to understand. Do not try to apply your westerner tools on them.

OTOH:
Their students, given the chance to go to Europe or the US for studies, are amongs the best, worldwide. It's no surprise, that's reality and does work fine with their history.

Perhaps we could learn a bit of them?

Christel

dudeist skydiver # 3105

The minister for forrestry and water was on TV here in South Africa this morning she said the official figure for people without access to sanitation in South Africa is FOUR MILLION the amount without access to drinkable water is TWO MILLION. Considering the official figures are usually very conservative about such matters and South Africa is the most developed African nation on the continent it gives you an idea of the scale of the problem.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca