pop

Fuck you American healthcare system

So, you're basing your opinion on many visits or just 3 or 4? Did you wait 8 hours everytime?

Anyway, the point is when you're in pain or feel sick; any wait seems like forever. An ER does not have a pre-set slow time or busy time. People have heart attacks all the time. I have been in the ER about 40 times in the past 4 1/2 years in excrutiating pain. Came in by ambulance about 28 of those times because I was unconscious. I was always triaged immediately. After that, there were times I received immediate help and other times I had to wait several hours. Every time though, I was seen and treated and my pain was relieved. As bad as my pain has been, I will never complain about being bumped for some child who has been hit by a car.

All of this is what the ER's are for, and we have damn good ones in this country. No one takes more abuse than ER doctors, RN's and LPN's.

20 years ago, in Canada, my roomie slammed a door on my finger and broke it
I went the the ER in Calgary late at night, waited 4 hours to see someone, got it xrayed and bandaged up and sent home

Last week here in Zephyrhills, I sliced my finger open at 9pm, went to the ER at 10pm after surrendering to the fact that it was not going to stop bleeding.

I waited 3.5 hours to see a doctor (1 doctor on with 25 people in the waiting room and 15 more in the treatment areas), who looked at me for literally 30 seconds and then asked the nurse to bandage me up.

The difference? I pay $750/month right now for my health insurance in the USA and get lousy service. Not to mention the trip will cost me $200 out-of-pocket for deductibles as well.

So would I rather pay higher taxes and get lousy service or pay through-the-mouth and get lousy service? AT least in Canada no one has to fight with the insurance company on top of being injured, nor do they have to deal with bills rolling in from 3-4 different companies that 'touch you' during an ER visit.

The system in the USA ain't all it is cracked up to be - neither is Canada, but I will take the socialized system over the crap I have today......

And no, I do not have a 'selection' of other places to go at 10pm when I cut my finger open.......

TK

My wife almost died a few years ago after waiting 6 hours in severe pain due to an ectopic pregnancy . They rushed her into emergency surgery a few hours later (just in time).

Last year, my two year old had a bleeding gash in her forehead. When we approached the ER front desk, blood dripping everywhere and my daughter screaming her head off, no one was at the front desk to help. We waited several minutes before anyone even came to take our names to get on the "list" to be seen.

As much as we pay for medical care, one would think that the lines would be shorter. You can partially blame it on people who don't pay their hospital bills, knowing that the hospital will simply write it off as a loss.

After what we went through, I'll call an ambulance next time.

Next time call for an ambulance. There is no wait then - you go right on in.

(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

In this case this has nothing to do with free, or not free, having insurance, or not. 8 hour wait to see an emergency doctor on a Monday evening is simply rediculous!

Yeah. I know. It's what happens when emergency room care is free for so many others. Got a sniffle? Under Federal Law, the emergency room has to perform an assessment of every swinging dick that comes in - regardless of the person's ability to pay.

So, guess why so many people are there at the ER - they can't be turned away. People with nothing better to do can handle an 18 hour wait.

Of course, the ER is rewarded by getting paid 30 cents on the dollar another 10 months later by Uncle Sam. This means more waits in the existing ERs, because so many of them shut down due to bankruptcy.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

well that is where we disagree - I think the government's primary responsibilities should be to feed the people, educate the people and provide healthcare for the people.

Pretty much everything else is optional. the 'right to life' is in the constitution that you so stanchly uphold.....

Anyone can have an accident, very few can afford the consequences of it.....

TK

Fainting spell heh? Doesn't sound like an emergency to me; should have went to your clinic, or a clinic.

If it was serious (bleeding from the ears, lost vision or hearing, painful rectal itch), and you were triaged improperly, then you might have a beef.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

AT least in Canada no one has to fight with the insurance company on top of being injured, nor do they have to deal with bills rolling in from 3-4 different companies that 'touch you' during an ER visit.

This one is currently pissing me off. My insurance says I have a $100 copay for emergency room visits ($25 for office visits). I made a trip to the ER in September and received 5 different bills totalling a bit over $800. I'd honestly like to see some effort among healthcare companies to promote customer service, including centralized billing. How am I supposed to know how much to set aside for bills when they just keep coming in, from companies I haven't heard of, for seemingly random amounts? Hell, I got a bill in November from December 2005! It was for someone reading an MRI, the results of which were never given to me because my primary physician closed up shop the same day I had that $3500 scan. (I did get a copy of the reading from a friend who worked at the hospital, including a note that she could lose her job if they found out she'd given it to me.) When I called to contest that one, they said something about the prior billing company hadn't been up to speed. Who the hell keeps all their receipts for 2 years? For all I know, I paid the bill back then, but since I can't prove it, I pay now or they send me to collections. That's BS...there should be some reasonable number of bills expected and within a reasonable timeframe.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Fainting spell heh? Doesn't sound like an emergency to me; should have went to your clinic, or a clinic.

Actually what pop described sounded like it could have been quite serious. IMO, he did the right thing going to the ER; even though he had a lousy experience. There aren't 'clinics' on every corner; or in every town.

Dave,

Amen on the billing situation. I have experienced exactly what you have described. If anything needs to be fixed it is the billing system.

To the others: Our healthcare system is not perfect by any means; but I do believe it is still a damn good one.

the rooms arent filled with illigal mexicans.

Interesting that you want to go to another country and use their health system, but complain when this one is being used by people from other countries.

Im legal in Canada
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

I live in a predominantly white suburban area about 10 minutes from NASA. I also have full medical coverage. Last night I drove down the street to get some food, and while in the parking lot, I suddenly felt really dizzy, the ground gave way, and I found myself collapsing unto the ground. I stumbled back to the car, waited a bit, and drove home. I then had my roommate take me to the emergency room to see what’s problem. There I was told it will take 6-8 hours to see a doctor.
I waited for 4 hours, but couldn’t handle sitting up any more, so I ended up just leaving, so I can go lie down in a bed. Needless to say I never got to see the doctor. So here is a big fuck you, privatized American healthcare system. Next time I have an emergency I am going back to Canada, where I never had to wait more than 2 hours to get FREE help.

Feel your pain, last year had a very nasty spider bite, that needed some attention. Went to the emergency room hoping to get a doctor to write a perscription and send me out the door. Nope would have to wait for about 8 hours prior to being seen.

Just an observation, I was the only white guy in the waiting room that evening and it was packed with families with small children running around crying.

I went home as well, drained the wound and place hot towels on it until the morning before seeing my family doctor.

My wife several weeks later needed to go to the same emergency room, was in a examination room and x-rayed in less than an hour. Saw the doctor in about 2 hour to 2.5 hours later.

well that is where we disagree - I think the government's primary responsibilities should be to feed the people, educate the people and provide healthcare for the people.

AMEN!! Those are the ONLY three things a government owes its people. Well at least the educate and provide healthcare...the feed part I could argue.

I have to agree. The system is broken. Even having health insurance, it costs quite a bit (trust me, I know).

Why is it borke? For those of you that think that it's cuz the Dr's are greedy - Think again. I actually make less than half of what my husband does (and he has no advanced degrees). I don't do my job for the money. But the clinic does have to make some money - we have nurses to pay, receptionists, records, supplies, rent, equipment, malpractice insurance. Most medical insurance companies have "deals" that limit the payment to the physicians, hospitals, ect. So the insurance companies take your money, but then work out ways of not paying. They use scare tactics of "can you afford a catastrophe or getting sick" to get you to buy it, but then limit coverage by controlling which hospitals are "in-network" and deny treatment (I have had to argue with insurance peoples many times for the sake of my patients)

But, I don't know that socialized medicine is better. People are WAY too willing to abuse something that is free - example, when I was in the military, I saw a patient come into the ER after bonking his head with a cam-corder (walking around the yard, recording lil Susie and Johnie and he hit his own head with the video recorder in his hand). He wanted an MRI. (he's not paying for it... why not?)

I do think basic emergency medical coverage and preventative medicine should be better available. I HATE it when a woman comes in and her last pap was 8-10yrs ago.... cuz she didn't have coverage. I HATE diagnosing cancer, when it could have been screened for before it got to that.

I wish I was smart enough to know how to fix it.
Personal responsibility (pay out of pocket) isn't working (too many don't get the care - I know I didn't when I didn't have insurance while in medical school).
Corporate responsibility (Insurance companies) doesn't work (their goal is the bottom line).
Government responsibility (socialized medicine) won't work (too much beauricacy).

I don't know the answer.

-oh and the "just call an ambulance" comments. I went into the ER by ambulance after I broke my ankle. I still waited 6hrs. Don't call the ambulance to just try to jump ahead in line. The EMTs are busy enough with real emergencies.

If it was serious (bleeding from the ears, lost vision or hearing, painful rectal itch), and you were triaged improperly, then you might have a beef.

Yes, syncope IS an emergency.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

AMEN!! Those are the ONLY three things a government owes its people. Well at least the educate and provide healthcare...the feed part I could argue.

Frankly, I think the government's responsibilities should be to get out of my way and let me feed myself and those I want to feed, let me get educated or let me get my kids educated, and let me get healthcare for myself and whomever I want to care for.

I don't want government food - I was in the Army, and I'll tell you - I'd take McDonald's over an MRE any dya.

Government education? I had it, and it worked okay for me. I'll give it that.

Healthcare? Um, I'd prefer to stay out of government healthcare (ER's, etc) for just the reason you stated. I'd rather find a good private doctor and pay him or her to take care of me.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Yes, syncope IS an emergency.

which one was "syncope"?
the painful rectal itch?

one should 'go lightly' with those issues

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

funny, when I was in the ER the other night, I never saw any illegals, any snifflers, pretty much all the people that were there SHOULD have been there. elderly folks that are in pain and cannot walk, children with injuries, one lady on the floor writhing in obviouis kidney/hernia/appendix pain, and yes, I even got in ahead of her oddly enough.

I am tired of piss-poor customer service. Every system is built to STOP the people from using it just in case the one person who is not entitled might try to sneak in.

The fact is that MOST people are basically honest, and EVERY system that exists has people that take advantage of it, whether that be healthcare, education, paying your fair share of taxes or stealing from the fruit stand.

Do we want to spend all of our time trying to stop the few, or servicing the MAJORITY?

Ever call DELL, or HP lately - jesus what a joke - like I said, the entire system is designed to WITHOLD services from you -

Since I pay a lot for healthcare, am I wrong to demand decent service?

Say what you want about the Canadian system, and sure, Canadians gripe about it too, but NO ONE in Canada would give it up for a privatized system......

TK

Frankly, I think the government's responsibilities should be to get out of my way and let me feed myself and those I want to feed, let me get educated or let me get my kids educated, and let me get healthcare for myself and whomever I want to care for.

I don't want government food - I was in the Army, and I'll tell you - I'd take McDonald's over an MRE any dya.

Government education? I had it, and it worked okay for me. I'll give it that.

Healthcare? Um, I'd prefer to stay out of government healthcare (ER's, etc) for just the reason you stated. I'd rather find a good private doctor and pay him or her to take care of me.

It;s in the governemtns best interst to keep its people healthy and educated. anything else is all up to the people.

Fainting spell heh? Doesn't sound like an emergency to me;

It's not, unless you have heart problems like I do.

I'm not saying it wasn't a valid reason to go... it likely really could have been. When you went up to the check in, did you TELL THEM that you have a history of cardiac problems and are passing out? That is a lot different than just "I got dizzy and lightheaded" But even knowing what to say, you might still have to wait. Sometimes the world does not bow to serve you.... I know it doesn't for me, but if it's truly something that needs to be looked at, I get it taken care of.

Missed a few, Highways & bridges, and Killing the Bad people and blowing things up with really cool bombs and stuff.