Andy_Copland

Stop Shoving Christianity Down My Throat

With the outlook that today's society has on values? pfeh. Self-fulfilling prophecy.

Yeah, 'cos when society was all devout and pious stuff there was no affairs, no spousal abuse, the gutters weren't full of prostitutes and the Pope almost never had illegitimate kids.

Ah, yes, and everything is perfect and idyllic today...especially that divorce rate, right?

Hardly unsurprising - with the 'me me me generation', they should change the vows to "until the next person comes along"

What's wrong with that?

:D:D:D Thanks for proving the point.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

With the outlook that today's society has on values? pfeh. Self-fulfilling prophecy.

Yeah, 'cos when society was all devout and pious stuff there was no affairs, no spousal abuse, the gutters weren't full of prostitutes and the Pope almost never had illegitimate kids.

And, let's not forget that back when organized religion had more impact on daily life/government,
the homicide rate was 20x what it is today! :o

Thank you "England" for keeping good records! ;)

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

Ah, yes, and everything is perfect and idyllic today...especially that divorce rate, right?

No, I'm saying your self fulfilling prophecy bit was silly.

When people were expected to be perfect on pain of eternal pain they were still a bit naughty.

These days when you say we have such low expectations... people are a bit naughty.

Prophecy my bum.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Hardly unsurprising - with the 'me me me generation', they should change the vows to "until the next person comes along"

What's wrong with that?

I deleted what I think was not related to your post to be clear.

First, is this what you were replying to and if the answer is yes,

Are you serious????????
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

When people were expected to be perfect on pain of eternal pain they were still a bit naughty.

These days when you say we have such low expectations... people are a bit naughty.

Prophecy my bum.

aaahhhhh....

WHAT?
Abraham Lincoln

Yeah serious. I disagree with all the people who say everything is going downhill. Just look at the progress humanity has made.
Just because some people have different morals than you do that doesn't mean the world is going down, but just that it's changing and change is good.

Prophecy my bum.

My post was not meant to address that - there will always be cheaters.

After all - when it's "all about ME", why should I worry about commitment to anything I promised someone ELSE, eh?

*yes, I'm exaggerating for effect, but it *IS* more and more common now than it was.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Yeah serious. I disagree with all the people who say everything is going downhill. Just look at the progress humanity has made.
Just because some people have different morals than you do that doesn't mean the world is going down, but just that it's changing and change is good.

Ooohhhhh, so you are saying lowering (changing) moral standards is good?
Abraham Lincoln

*yes, I'm exaggerating for effect, but it *IS* more and more common now than it was.

1) Was when?
2) What's more common? Divorce, or the causes of divorce?

I dunno about you but I think divorce is a lot better than staying trapped in a loveless, or one sided or even abusive marriage. Back when divorce was oh so frowned upon it was a hell of a lot harder for people to escape those situations.

What is a 'lowering' of moral standards?

Saying you can work on sunday if you want? Yes, that's good.

Saying you can say 'Jehovah' out loud? Yes, that's good.

Saying you can get divorced if you want to? Yes, that's good.

Saying that if two consenting adults are cool with it they can have a non-monogamous relationship? Yes, that's good.

First lowering is not equivalent to changing. Second, just because it seems to you that they get lowered does not necessarily mean it seems like that to everybody else. Third, most moral standards in effect in the US today are coming from the bible with which I disagree, so yes I think it is good that they change.

Saying that if two consenting adults are cool with it they can have a non-monogamous relationship? Yes, that's good.

Hmm, did you make my point?
Abraham Lincoln

1) Was when?
2) What's more common? Divorce, or the causes of divorce?

I dunno about you but I think divorce is a lot better than staying trapped in a loveless, or one sided or even abusive marriage. Back when divorce was oh so frowned upon it was a hell of a lot harder for people to escape those situations.

You're arguing against a point I'm not making. Read again.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

First lowering is not equivalent to changing. Second, just because it seems to you that they get lowered does not necessarily mean it seems like that to everybody else. Third, most moral standards in effect in the US today are coming from the bible with which I disagree, so yes I think it is good that they change.

I am glad it is all so easy for you. Someday, when you mature, I would like to revisit your post with you.
Abraham Lincoln

Third, most moral standards in effect in the US today are coming from the bible with which I disagree, so yes I think it is good that they change.

Sweet - so we can get rid of all the police, because murder, theft and all that other bad stuff they talk about in the bible is A-OK by Hausse!!
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Yeah that was exactly what I meant!!! Anarchie!!!

Seriously: Those are obvious rules to live together and are the same in pretty much every society no matter what religion. I was talking about things like abortion, same sex marriage, and so on which are strongly influenced by religion.

Seriously: Those are obvious rules to live together and are the same in pretty much every society no matter what religion. I was talking about things like abortion, same sex marriage, and so on which are strongly influenced by religion.

...and culture. And culture does not change quickly
Abraham Lincoln

In that respect, I agree with you in part. There are people on both sides of the religion issue that hold similar opinions on the subjects you list, that I will guarantee.

With that said - I see the people being "offended by religion" to be much more militant and in-your-face about it than the people supposedly doing the offended.

Christians, on the other hand, are much more restrained in the expression of their distaste at having their beliefs vilified.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Sweet fecking jesus man, are you actually saying you think the 'moral' changes I listed above are bad things? Seriously!?

In that respect, I agree with you in part. There are people on both sides of the religion issue that hold similar opinions on the subjects you list, that I will guarantee.

With that said - I see the people being "offended by religion" to be much more militant and in-your-face about it than the people supposedly doing the offended.

Christians, on the other hand, are much more restrained in the expression of their distaste at having their beliefs vilified.

Hm I'm not so sure about me being militant. I agree that I am very direct and that I usually try to win my arguments, but I do not tell Christians that there is no heaven and that they are wasting their time (or at least not in their face on the street), while I was told that people hope that I'll burn in hell for my atheism (the best one was in a Chinese restaurant during dinner and the person was some random guy at the neighbor table). I know that not all Christians are like that and I know that there are militant atheist, but I try not to be.

Sweet fecking jesus man, are you actually saying you think the 'moral' changes I listed above are bad things? Seriously!?

I took some training made available by my company that dealt with differences in the currently living generations. I understand where you are coming from.(an in some respects why) In many cases (not necessarily all the points you make here) I do not agree with you but I respect and understand where you are coming from and why. I would like to see you take a class like this so you could understand (and maybe show some fucking respect of) where I am coming from
Abraham Lincoln

Then I think in this you are blinded.

Where are the atheist TV stations? Where are the politicians proclaiming their atheism to pander votes? Which prominent atheists get invited onto public policy panels? Which atheists are telling religious people that they're all communists and can't possibly have any vestige of patriotism, morality or respect for the rule of law without being an atheist?