DJL

Innocent Executed in Death Penalty Cases

I did a search but couldn't find anything. I'm looking for cases in which EVIDENCE proved that the murderer was a different person but the innocent man had already been put to death. I don't want to qualify situations in which a witness recanted or they discovered a procedural error; only ones in which it was determined that someone else did it.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Do some searching on the policies in death-penalty convictions, with regard to what happens to the records and evidence after the defendant has been executed. That should answer your questions.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Do some searching on the policies in death-penalty convictions, with regard to what happens to the records and evidence after the defendant has been executed. That should answer your questions.

I'm aware of this and have read Sister Prejean's books. Doesn't help, but thanks.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Guy Fawkes?

As in the Gunpowder Plot Guy? Yeah, not really contemporary.

Fine, what about Socrates?

What lesson does Socrates teach us about this issue? How do you come to that conclusion? *

* Remember, your answer must be in the form of a question.

Guy Fawkes?

As in the Gunpowder Plot Guy? Yeah, not really contemporary.

Fine, what about Socrates?

Socrates was a pompous ass who could have gotten away (the guards tried to get him to leave), but he wanted to prove a point by offing himself.

Different situation...

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I did a search but couldn't find anything. I'm looking for cases in which EVIDENCE proved that the murderer was a different person but the innocent man had already been put to death. I don't want to qualify situations in which a witness recanted or they discovered a procedural error; only ones in which it was determined that someone else did it.

Here's an interesting one: (deathpenaltyinfo.org)

"Leonel Herrera may have been innocent, but he was not innocent enough to satisfy the Supreme Court. A former Texas judge submitted an affidavit stating that another man had confessed to the crime for which Herrera was facing execution. Numerous other pieces of new evidence also threw doubt on his conviction. Still, the Court said that at this late stage of his appeal, he needed an extraordinary amount of proof to stop his execution. He was executed in Texas in 1993.

Another kind of innocence was illustrated in the case of Jesse Jacobs, who was executed in Texas on January 4, 1995. Jacobs had been convicted and sentenced to death after the state had put on evidence to show that he was the actual killer in an abduction ending in murder which also involved a co-defendant. At the later trial of the co-defendant, the state reversed its story and said it was the co-defendant, not Jacobs, who pulled the trigger. In fact, the prosecution used (and thus vouched for) Jacobs's own testimony that he did not do the shooting and did not even know that his co-defendant had a gun. The co-defendant was also convicted, though not sentenced to death. Despite the admission by the prosecution that the arguments they made at Jacobs's trial were false, Jacobs was executed.

Jacobs was not innocent in the full sense of the word. He had admittedly participated in the underlying crime, but it is doubtful that the jury would have sentenced him to death if the prosecutors had acknowledged that he was not directly involved in the actual murder. Three Supreme Court Justices were highly critical of this deception on the prosecution's part. Justice Stevens wrote: "It would be fundamentally unfair to execute a person on the basis of a factual determination that the state has formally disavowed. I find this course of events deeply troubling.""

Here's another list, summarized from Michael L. Radelet, Hugo Adam Bedau, and Constance Putnam, In Spite of Innocence: Erroneous Convictions in Capital Cases. Boston: Northeastern University Press, 1992, and Bedau and Radelet, "Miscarriages of Justice in Potentially Capital Cases." Stanford Law Review 40 (1987) :21-179.
http://sun.soci.niu.edu/~critcrim/wrong/mike.list

It's really hard to find evidence like you ask for, mainly because once someone's been executed, the organizations like the Innocence Project start devoting their limited resources to the ones still alive.

After the UK abolished the death penalty the authorities actually took the time to investigate a number of the troubling cases, and discovered a remarkable number of miscarriages of justice. Posthumous pardons, however, don't do much for the wrongly executed.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Socrates was a pompous ass who could have gotten away (the guards tried to get him to leave), but he wanted to prove a point by offing himself.

He was an old dude who didn't want to live in exile away from the social and intellectual centre of the world.

He was also an arrogant git, but maybe not for that particular reason.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I poked around and asked a couple years ago, I was asking DP opponent groups if they knew of post mortem appeals and they had no idea of any. Then I noticed the SCOTUS did review a case about a year ago, they cherry picked one and affirmed it was the right thing to do to have executed the person - forget the case name.

Convictions are based on shaky evidence/testiminy many times, but you want concrete FACT that a person was innocent, convicted and executed? Don't hold ur breath. Just look at all the releases from death row since the reinstatement of the DP in 76 and then you can discern that some undoubtedly slipped thru. Then think of pre DP moratorium in 72 and think of all the ones who were inncoent and executed. The balck woman who was recently post mortem exonerated comes to mind.

Funny how the conservative convict and kill with shaky evidence, yet want a notarized note from Jesus that a mistake was made.