Nightingale

The Golden Compass

Exactly why nobody in this family, none of our siblings, and none of our siblings' kids will ever see that movie or read the books.

I didn't realize what the stories were about...until I did some further investigation on it. :S Our daughter had already read the book and wasn't too impressed anyways. We explained why that author will not be allowed in this house again and she wasn't heartbroken.

So not much into the subscription of "free thinking" or "critical reasoning" Jaye:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Not one for an author that pitches 'killing God through children.'
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Not one for an author that pitches 'killing God through children.'

If you did some further checking you would find it is a false god that is "killed"

I will do that.

My understanding from reading interviews with the author is that his intention was to teach children that Christ IS a false god.

As I said, I will research that further. I'm not above admitting that I took the wrong advice. I wouldn't want our family to be avoiding an obviously creative author for the wrong reasons.
~Jaye

I found the movie entertaining... very much so.. and did not see anything whatsoever that would challenge my faith.

Movies are to entertain.. to provide some fantasy.. and escape from our normal day to day life... those who read too much into fantasy worlds... tend to miss out on a life of imagination and wonder.

Saw the movie on Sunday.

I am a complete and total sucker for certain design elements. Pretty much anything with a Jules Vernesque, overly elaborate, gold & blue color scheme I'm going to end up watching just for that alone. I also am a pretty big sucker for anything that is heavily CGI simply because I'm still sort of in the business and want to keep track of the state-of-the-art.

This movie rocked my socks on several levels.

The CGI is amazing in places. In particular there is one scene where Nichole Kidman's character picks up her daemon, the monkey, and it hugs and holds on to her. My jaw just dropped during that. I have no idea how they did that so well and it's possible that there were a combination of things going on at the time, but it was absolutely seamless. Really quite a stunning bit of work.

I have no idea if the books and movies match up and I don't really care at this point. It was a great first movie for a series and anyone that thinks THIS movie is too anti-religious is seeing rabbits in clouds at this point. Obviously, that may change as we get further along but just going from this movie its just anti-establishment.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I found the movie entertaining... very much so.. and did not see anything whatsoever that would challenge my faith.

Movies are to entertain.. to provide some fantasy.. and escape from our normal day to day life... those who read too much into fantasy worlds... tend to miss out on a life of imagination and wonder.

I just read another of his interviews. The man is bent on his anger towards the church. :S

We grew up on science fiction fantasy...I'm looking at three full bookcases of original hardback and paperbacks of the same genre. We don't have a problem with fantasy authors whose backgrounds are different...I have at least a half dozen authors here that I know for a fact do not share my family's faith. I have a major problem with someone that admits to weaving their hatred for my way of life into books they are trying to get into my kids' hands.
~Jaye

Obviously, that may change as we get further along but just going from this movie its just anti-establishment.

Don't you mean anti-disestablishment? ;)

It might be great and not even follow the original author's intentions, but I'm not putting money into the guy's pockets via royalties. Just reading his interviews...take religion out of the picture entirely, and the guy is just an incredibly arrogant jerk regardless. :S

I guess his work is far superior to that of many classic authors, in his mind...and he's not afraid to say it. Over and over again. :S
~Jaye

I have a major problem with someone that admits to weaving their hatred for my way of life into books they are trying to get into my kids' hands.

How did you feel about Narnia?

I have the series here in front of me (crammed in this bookcase somewhere :ph34r:). I have the movie, too. I thought it was brilliant. I didn't see CS Lewis waving a flag saying 'death to Christians'.

Pullman could write a cookbook and I wouldn't buy it. I'll explain it to you this way; if this guy named Larry hated my dad and tried to tell the community that dad's business was a sham, a hoax, and illegal...would I EVER buy anything to support Larry? :S

I'm not very good at analogies. I haven't seen the movie or read the book. I have read the author's own words and understand him to be an asshole and trying to get my kid to think that she isn't worth what we tell her she is. In my very humble opinion, he is a jackass and won't be invited into our home.

We have Baptist and Jewish and LDS & atheist friends. None of them would dare try to impose their ideals on my kids in my home. This guy is. He's outta here. :ph34r:
~Jaye

I just read another of his interviews. The man is bent on his anger towards the church. :S

Do you have a link to the interview that you read?

Here's the last one. This is the author in his own words: http://humaniststudies.org/podcast/philippullman.html

I was going to post another link to an article, but it is a columnist's take on the author, not his words himself.

There are a bunch more if you just search...I can't find the original interview I found of the author speaking about his books and his goals with them.

Like I said, the first link, in the author's own words...he's just an angry man spitting at the church. :S Like there aren't enough of those running around. :D
~Jaye

We have Baptist and Jewish and LDS & atheist friends. None of them would dare try to impose their ideals on my kids in my home. This guy is. He's outta here. :ph34r:

I had a purpose in asking the question about Narnia. Perhaps you should learn a bit more about HIS motivations for writing what HE did.

Then, come back and explain why one is right and the other is wrong.
quade -

I had a purpose in asking the question about Narnia. Perhaps you should learn a bit more about HIS motivations for writing what HE did.

oh oh oh oh I know this pick me pick me:ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Do you have a link to the interview that you read?

Here's the last one. This is the author in his own words: http://humaniststudies.org/podcast/philippullman.html

I was going to post another link to an article, but it is a columnist's take on the author, not his words himself.

There are a bunch more if you just search...I can't find the original interview I found of the author speaking about his books and his goals with them.

Like I said, the first link, in the author's own words...he's just an angry man spitting at the church. :S Like there aren't enough of those running around. :D

Thanks for the link. I read the interview, but I didn't get the impression of "an angry man spitting at the church" or anything like that. He made some negative comments about religious fundamentalists, but I doubt that most people would consider the fundamentalists to represent the church (well, depending on which church you're referring to). But I don't think that the tone was "angry" at any point in the interview.

Quade your purpose in asking the question wasn't the least bit crafty. Sorry if you thought you were baiting some magical trap...I was waiting for someone to try to bring up Narnia. Maybe you should read more about CS Lewis...

You're comparing a man that devoted his life to understanding Christianity on deeper levels and asking hard questions to be closer to God to a guy that is trying to obliterate Christianity and end the belief in God.

And I have not ever in this thread said that one was right and one was wrong. I have said which one that I support and which one I don't.

Any how I said what I was going to say. I have closing pins and memorial cards to work on; go about your chatter. :S
~Jaye

. . . you were baiting some magical trap...

I don't work in magic . . .

Both men did the exact same thing for the exact same reasons, just with opposite viewpoints. You revel in one and don't care to learn about the other. That's your prerogative, but in my opinion not a very open minded way to go about things.
quade -

Why do the religious intolerants always believe they have the only answer in this world[:/]

God gave man free will.... to choose their path in life... NO ONE has the right to tell others how to live thier lives.. no matter WHAT their church preaches.>:(

NO ONE has the right to tell others how to live thier lives..

I take a slightly different view. It's MY job to listen to everyone at least once so that I can sort it out for myself. However, once I've made my decision, I should be under no obligation to listen further.
quade -

This is so rediculous. I thought this was just going to be a great movie and I didn't know that this was a trilogy of books until after I heard about the boycotts and controversy. So of course I went right out and purchased the books. I'm currently about a third of the way through The Subtle Knife.

I find it hilarious that people are afraid of a book. Have you no faith in your, well, faith? Will introducing a so called athiest theme in a fictional book really bring ruin to your beliefs? If anything, shouldn't it make them stronger because you can appreciate a good story about another's ideas of the creator, or lack thereof, while still holding true to your beliefs? Seriously, it's a good story so far, and visually an amazing movie! Daemons, armored bears, witches! Fun stuff!

Lastly, as stated I'm only into the second book right now, but I've also read on the net that the most offensive part is when the children kill God at the end of the series. However, from what I've found the "God" they kill is actually a false god, the first/fallen angel, otherwise known as Satan. Errrm, isn't that a good thing, that is if you believe in Satan? :S What are people upset about?

First intentional post in SC. :D

~skysprite