skydiver007

Case of Pot- Majority vs Liberty

I just got a $200 ticket for smoking some real chill weed in my friends garage- smoke came out of garage, some one smelled it and called the cops. This obviously pissed me off ($200 is like 4 jumps - Im a S/L student).

Most of us live in a democratic society, where the law of majority is the single most important factor in determining 1. Who gets elected (law makers, executive bodies etc) and 2. How laws are passed and 3. Sustainability- basic confidence of the public and law makers on the ability of the executive body to run the society.

Most democratic societies also have some kind of constitution (written or unwritten) that outlines fundamental rights and freedoms of individuals living in their respective societies. Unless there is a national emergency or something of that sort, all laws are subject to the the constitution as interpreted by the supreme court.

The supreme court judges/attorney general who interpret the constituion are usually chosen by both the law makers and the executive body who inturn are chosen by the public by the law of marority (majority vote wins).

It is therefore fair to say the Government as a whole are a representative of the people at least in terms of majority.

Now, why is pot illegal in most democratic societies?
The answer, which is painful to hear, is simply because the majority of people who vote do not think pot is safe enough of a substance to be used like a recreational drug- like alcohol, cig's, or caffeine.

This simply pisses me off. What happened to the concept of liberty? Can't I exercise my own free will to smoke a plant which is a natural creation of evolution? Now, Im not harming another person, not putting another person at disadvantage, and not even burdening society by smoking pot. Yet, somehow the state and majority of the people feel compelled to interveine my life with complete disregard to my personal freedom and my fundamental right to exercise my own free.

Now, the supreme court and law makers say simple possession laws are not against the constitution and the rule of law is not being violated by passing any legislation regarding the illegality of marijuana and the authority of state to take compulsive action on subjects who violate the law.

What the fuck were they thinking? Peraphs more control? more power?a reason to win votes- a reason for the sustainbility of Government and the rule of law as a requisite for the sustainability of society?

What do you guys think about the concept of liberty vs law of majority in the case of pot? Im an anarchist, so I go with liberty and say fuck off to the Government and smoke up and get high whenever i want- off course not before skydiving;)

Wah. Pay the ticket, or pay an attorney to litigate it for you.

Loser.

yea..thx

EDIT: this is your one warning. No PAs.

I actually think you will find that is a Concensus WAS taken, pot smokers would be in the minority
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I just got a $200 ticket for smoking some real chill weed in my friends garage- smoke came out of garage, some one smelled it and called the cops. This obviously pissed me off ($200 is like 4 jumps - Im a S/L student).

Most of us live in a democratic society, where the law of majority is the single most important factor in determining 1. Who gets elected (law makers, executive bodies etc) and 2. How laws are passed and 3. Sustainability- basic confidence of the public and law makers on the ability of the executive body to run the society.

Most democratic societies also have some kind of constitution (written or unwritten) that outlines fundamental rights and freedoms of individuals living in their respective societies. Unless there is a national emergency or something of that sort, all laws are subject to the the constitution as interpreted by the supreme court.

The supreme court judges/attorney general who interpret the constituion are usually chosen by both the law makers and the executive body who inturn are chosen by the public by the law of marority (majority vote wins).

It is therefore fair to say the Government as a whole are a representative of the people at least in terms of majority.

The answer, which is painful to hear, is simply because the majority of people who vote do not think pot is safe enough of a substance to be used like a recreational drug- like alcohol, cig's, or caffeine.

This simply pisses me off. What happened to the concept of liberty? Can't I exercise my own free will to smoke a plant which is a natural creation of evolution? Now, Im not harming another person, not putting another person at disadvantage, and not even burdening society by smoking pot. Yet, somehow the state and majority of the people feel compelled to interveine my life with complete disregard to my personal freedom and my fundamental right to exercise my own free.

Now, the supreme court and law makers say simple possession laws are not against the constitution and the rule of law is not being violated by passing any legislation regarding the illegality of marijuana and the authority of state to take compulsive action on subjects who violate the law.

What the fuck were they thinking? Peraphs more control? more power?a reason to win votes- a reason for the sustainbility of Government and the rule of law as a requisite for the sustainability of society?

What do you guys think about the concept of liberty vs law of majority in the case of pot? Im an anarchist, so I go with liberty and say fuck off to the Government and smoke up and get high whenever i want- off course not before skydiving;)

Here's a nice read. Long. Shows how fucked up this govt. is. >http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/17438347/how_america_lost_the_war_on_drugs Sad "Even by conservative estimates, the War on Drugs now costs the United States $50 billion each year and has overcrowded prisons to the breaking point - all with little discernible impact on the drug trade. A report by the Government Accountability Office released at the end of September estimated that ninety percent of the cocaine moving into the United States now arrives through Mexico, up from sixty-six percent in 2000. Even Walters acknowledges that for all of the efforts the Bush administration has devoted to overseas drug enforcement, the price of cocaine has dropped while its purity has risen. More than forty percent of Americans support legalizing marijuana, yet the government continues to target pot smokers"
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

So,

You got busted doing something you knew was against the law and it is all their fault that you are going through all that hassle.

..take it from there, dude/dudette
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Amen brother. If you're not too stoned...

Here's some Noam Chomsky for ya...;)

Unfortunately this may be the end of my contribution on this topic (I don't read SC) which is where this will be in...

I hope it doesn't. I'm banned. LOL[:/]
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Wah. Pay the ticket, or pay an attorney to litigate it for you.

Loser.

yea..thx

EDIT: this is your one warning. No PAs.

So how the fuck does skydiver007 earn a PA warning but ExAFO doesn't?:S

Hummm! Could this be yr answer; (taken from the first paragraph from the INTERVIEW from a link above about NoamC)

Propaganda is much more effective when it is combined with terror.

I would beg to differ in that from my research, the primary reason Marijuana is illegal is because the government could not monitor and tax it. A cigarette smoker can't support their own habit in a tobacco field, and if they could, they probably wouldn't. Alchoholics can't/won't brew the amount of beer/wine/whatever they want.

Not to same some couldn't grow tobacco/brew alcohol.... but as a majority.

A weed smoker can spend a few weeks growing a plant and support themselves until the next plant is ready to be pruned.

This is why a lot of decriminalization has been going on. In Santa Cruz, California they defined it by saying if you were jay-walking while smoking a joint, the jay-walking is a higher offense.

Just move to NorCal. Get your cannabis club card. Then you can buy and posses it legally. It's a piece of cake. Hard openings=bad back, bad back=doctor recommendation. $150 and now you can do as you please.

That is what my sociology teacher told me at least.
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

I don't know where you live, since your profile isn't filled out, but I live in the US, which is not a democracy. It's a federal republic. Look up the difference.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I don't know where you live, since your profile isn't filled out, but I live in the US, which is not a democracy. It's a federal republic. Look up the difference.

He said democratic society. A republic is a form of democratic society.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I would beg to differ in that from my research, the primary reason Marijuana is illegal is because the government could not monitor and tax it. A cigarette smoker can't support their own habit in a tobacco field, and if they could, they probably wouldn't. Alchoholics can't/won't brew the amount of beer/wine/whatever they want.

Not to same some couldn't grow tobacco/brew alcohol.... but as a majority.

A weed smoker can spend a few weeks growing a plant and support themselves until the next plant is ready to be pruned.

The vast, vast majority of people won't go to the trouble of growing something they can buy. Most pot smokers buy from a dealer, if pot was as widely available in shops as alcohol is now then even less people would grow it than do at the moment.

BTW, sparky--I hope you're done with college. Drug convictions prevent you from getting federal student aid.

BWHAHAHA!!!

What the fuck is your problem?

I guess the chick who was jailed for calling a teddy Mohammed, or the girl who was lashed for riding in a car with the men who raped her also deserve your scorn. After all, they knew the law.:S

BTW, sparky--I hope you're done with college. Drug convictions prevent you from getting federal student aid.

BWHAHAHA!!!

What the fuck is your problem?

I guess the chick who was jailed for calling a teddy Mohammed, or the girl who was lashed for riding in a car with the men who raped her also deserve you scorn. After all, they knew the law.:S

The chick with the Teddy Bear? Yeah, she knew the law.

The one who was riding in a car? Yeah. Was she lashed for being raped or for riding in the car?

Personally, I believe that the drug laws are unjust and a matter to be left to the states. I would suppose that these were local police, in which case I have LESS of a problem with it.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

The answer, which is quite fucked up, is that the pharmacutical companies have a stranglehold on politicians. It is all about the political contribution and the people who spread them.

Now stop smoking weed and go get your prescription(s) filled. :)

Rat for Life - Fly till I die
When them stupid ass bitches ask why

There are many groups that are bringing about change. Get involved and quit bitching.;)
http://www.safeaccessnow.org/
http://www.norml.org/
http://www.leap.cc/cms/index.php
http://www.saferchoice.org/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/

Education goes a long way. The misinformation that the federal government has spewed for so long is now quickly being erased by the truth.
The facts have been confirmed by the science. Marijuana is the safest drug known.
It has been ruled out that it does not cause lung cancer. In fact, it has been shown that mj helps to fight cancers.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/04/070417193338.htm
http://www.webmd.com/news/20000508/marijuana-unlikely-to-cause-cancer
http://www.bigbluemachine.org/index.php?s=cannabis
http://cancer911.info/lung-cancer/dr-donald-tashkin-marijuana-lung-cancer-study-pt-1-of-2/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6pBw0bgmgA&feature=related
Marijuana is in fact safer than aspirin.
http://www.jackherer.com/comparison.html

Don't like being arrested? Do something about it. Use the system for what it was designed for - to bring about change.
If you are truely concerned, join a group, write your congressman/woman, attend rallies, talk to family, friends, and co-workers.
Provide links on forums to legitimate information. Don't get into bashing with those who do the Bawawawa glad you got busted types. They are a waste of your time. Most people are willing to listen if your information can be confirmed through actual medical research.
If you're a smoker and feel that you are being singled out for such, get in involved. Those involved range from congressmem/women, judges, lawyers, doctors, law enforcement, ceo's, executives, factory workers, self employed, athletes and the list goes on as marijuana is not specific to just one group in society.
If you're not involved and get busted again, you have no one to blame but yourself.

"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

The chick with the Teddy Bear? Yeah, she knew the law.

The one who was riding in a car? Yeah. Was she lashed for being raped or for riding in the car?

So in your opinion they deserve to be ridiculed and laughed at for being stupid? I'm sure you don't mean that, right?

Personally, I believe that the drug laws are unjust and a matter to be left to the states. I would suppose that these were local police, in which case I have LESS of a problem with it.

Why are unjust laws at state level better than unjust laws at national level? A bad law is a bad law no matter who enforces it.

What frethefly said.
Hemp is what you're talking about though.
Just do a Google search for "miracle hemp".
While I wouldn't call it a miracle it could be a very beneficial plant when used properly.
It's all about the money, so I don't see legalization happening any time soon.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

He said democratic society. A republic is a form of democratic society.

I don't dispute your point, but as he described it, he is incorrect. In a republic, law does not need to be passed vie referrendum.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Why are unjust laws at state level better than unjust laws at national level? A bad law is a bad law no matter who enforces it.

Probably because there is a better chance of getting them changed at the state level. Look at how many states and municipalities have enacted liberal marijuana laws that disagree with the draconian federal laws.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Personally, I believe in liberty. My religious compatriots don't feel you deserve to pursue happiness and would prefer to tell you what you can and cannot do with your own body. Unfortunately for you, there are many more of them than there are of me.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)