shropshire

Golden Compass : Blasphemy?

The three-part series culminates in an epic battle in which God dies - at the hand of a child.

Those who have seen the film - which cost £90m to make - say the explicit anti-religious message of the books has been muted. But the Catholic League, which bills itself as America's largest Catholic civil rights organisation, have nevertheless launched a nationwide boycott campaign.

Nicole Kidman and Dakota Blue Richards star in the film

The League says that parents might be taken in by the toned-down film - but will then be fooled into buying the "overtly atheistic and anti-Christian" books.

clicky

Thoughts?

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Bloody Americans retitling it "The Golden Compass" just 'cos the alethiometer kinda looks like one is blasphemy.

Did you know that we also use the term "flash light" for "torch" and "elevator" for "lift"?

It's like a flippin' second language!

<------- BTW, do you have any idea what this snake is all about?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Bloody Americans retitling it "The Golden Compass" just 'cos the alethiometer kinda looks like one is blasphemy.

That's because we speak English, not British :ph34r:.

Edit. It's called an alethiometer within the movie but it's not a good name for a movie/book/anything.

Anyway, I'm sure New Line Cinema is happy about the free press. The reviews are all calling it garbage.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Did you know that we also use the term "flash light" for "torch" and "elevator" for "lift"?

So what? The alethiometer is never called a compass, and the proper title for the book isn't even'The Alethiometer'. Northern Lights is evocative, Golden Compass is rubbish.

<------- BTW, do you have any idea what this snake is all about?

No. Is it relevant?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

No. Is it relevant?

Yeah . . . don't tread on me. ;)

So not really relevant at all then, unless the US still holds a grudge that it can only express through devious changes to book titles. Damn, that would be wierd.

So not really relevant at all then, unless the US still holds a grudge that it can only express through devious changes to book titles. Damn, that would be wierd.

Just don't call us names and we won't have to point out what a stupid language it was to begin with!
quade -

Just don't call us names and we won't have to point out what a stupid language it was to begin with!

Names? I called you Americans.

Stupid language? You use the words "Northern Lights" to describe the Aurora Borealis don't you?

Dude, you're not making much sense here!

It's not a name either, just an expression of frustration.

And I still don't get the 'stupid language' thing? How is that relevant to the original title of the book? If you hate all english that much why not just make Spanish your first language - you live far south enough to get away with that, right?;)

Names? I called you Americans.

That's "Yank" to you, Limey.

Stupid language? You use the words "Northern Lights" to describe the Aurora Borealis don't you?

Yes. They are found in the north and are effective as lights. Thus, "Northern Lights." People pretty much know what you are talking about. It's like calling you a dude versus a masculine homo sapien sapien. We make the point in one freaking syllable.

Also note, we don't call them "nourthern lights." We've eliminated all unnecessary letters. Ain't it sweet to advance language?

Dude, you're not making much sense here

You use the word "dude" to describe a homo sapien spaien don't you?"

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Also note, we don't call them "nourthern lights." We've eliminated all unnecessary letters. Ain't it sweet to advance language?
Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws

Foneticly, I think we stil hav room for improvment.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Also note, we don't call them "nourthern lights." We've eliminated all unnecessary letters.

Neumonia? (it only takes one counter-example, but "soriasis" and "cafein" too).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

But the Catholic League, which bills itself as America's largest Catholic civil rights organisation, have nevertheless launched a nationwide boycott campaign.
[/url]

Thoughts?

Yeah, they tried that with "The Life of Brian" and all it did was increase the audiences. Learning from your mistakes is not the religious way.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Also note, we don't call them "nourthern lights." We've eliminated all unnecessary letters.

Neumonia? (it only takes one counter-example, but "soriasis" and "cafein" too).

Not all words. Next thing you know we'll be going metric,,,

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I read it, and it's as anti-christian as Harry Potter! It's a WAR ON CHRISTIANITY I tell you! Those damn children's authors, trying to brainwash kids and whatnot. Next thing you know they'll want to rename the Feast of Epiphany and the Twelve Holy Days. Call it Christmas or some other non-Biblical name.

I read it, and it's as anti-christian as Harry Potter! It's a WAR ON CHRISTIANITY I tell you! Those damn children's authors, trying to brainwash kids and whatnot. Next thing you know they'll want to rename the Feast of Epiphany and the Twelve Holy Days. Call it Christmas or some other non-Biblical name.

Can I call it the Winter Solstice being celebrated a few days too late?
quade -

Can I call it the Winter Solstice being celebrated a few days too late?
LOL. Didn't we go thru this last yr.?;) You guys crack me up. Thanks for the laughs. Merry winter solstice. Excuse me. I have to go to my ants house;)and put up the winter solstice northern lights.[:/]
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Well, we all remember how the Catholics were able to bring down that other anti-christian film/book "The Da Vinci Code." They will probably have about the same luck with this one.

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

A story written by an atheist will have that slant just like any other author brings his own beliefs to any work. Much like CS Lewis's The Chronicals Of Narnia tell a fantasy story from a decidedly Christian viewpoint. It is the nature of things. Pullman himself bashed the Narnia books http://books.guardian.co.uk/guardianhayfestival2002/story/0,,726818,00.html so he really can't complain about like resistance to his views.
I am not the man. But the man knows my name...and he's worried