pop

Question to concealed gun holders

About ten years ago I was at a high school party which went all wrong, and I ended up staring at the barrel of a loaded gun. Definitely a scary moment. Immediately afterwards all I wanted to do was get a gun and go back and shoot up the place. I’ve thought about that situation many times. I am glad I didn’t have a gun. I was a high school kid back then. Had I had a gun readily available I might have made some bad choices.

Well, that's why we don't give guns to children without supervision. Also, just out of curiosity, how did you know it was loaded.

About ten years ago I was at a high school party which went all wrong, and I ended up staring at the barrel of a loaded gun. Definitely a scary moment. Immediately afterwards all I wanted to do was get a gun and go back and shoot up the place. I’ve thought about that situation many times. I am glad I didn’t have a gun. I was a high school kid back then. Had I had a gun readily available I might have made some bad choices.

Well, that's why we don't give guns to children without supervision. Also, just out of curiosity, how did you know it was loaded.

I knew it was loaded because earlier in the evening it was passed around because people were curious to look at it...hold it....point it at the wall...take the clip out.
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

I knew it was loaded because earlier in the evening it was passed around because people were curious to look at it...hold it....point it at the wall...take the clip out.

That sounds like an excellent hint that it's time to leave the party.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

No kidding right?

what's a "clip"???

Noun 1. clip - a metal frame or container holding cartridges

Unless that was a really weird handgun, I'm guessing that you were talking about a magazine.

I don't think we need to resort to the old clip/magazine nitpicking on this threat...Pop has suffered enough.
Provoking a reaction isn't the same thing as saying something meaningful.
-Calvin

you got that one 100%. That's a wonderful time to say your goodbyes.

(though addressing the subject - unless the magazine actually had bullets in it, it's not loaded. )

My brother was carjacked at gun point. My brother had a gun on him, which he chose not to pull out. And I am so thankful that he didn’t, because only god knows how badly that could have escalated the situation that was simply solved by giving up the car. My brother was armed, but he chose not to pull out the gun to not create a situation where bullets might go flying. You see what I am saying?

You seem to want to base everything on this incident.

First off, he survived by the 'virtue' of the carjacker. Had that person been a 3 strike candidate and not concerned with killing any witnesses that could seal the deal, your unarmed brother is dead. Even armed, no guarantees, but he'd at least have options, or the ability to take the fucker with him. You'd be on your knees begging for your life, with no options at all. How is that better?

Your brother did what most would do. He did not needlessly escalate the situation.

you got that one 100%. That's a wonderful time to say your goodbyes.

(though addressing the subject - unless the magazine actually had bullets in it, it's not loaded. )

Even if no bullets in it at that instant, would you bet your life on there being none in it 15 minutes later? Partygoers (probably drinking) playing with guns are bad news.

Even if no bullets in it at that instant, would you bet your life on there being none in it 15 minutes later? Partygoers (probably drinking) playing with guns are bad news.

quoted for great justice :P

"When the liquor cabinet gets unlocked, the gun cabinet GETS locked!"

Mike - I know that what you're saying is your honest opinion, but you really need to learn more about concealed carry (and responsible ownership) and not rely exclusively on anecdotal experience.

Let me introduce you to another Russian immigrant... his name is Oleg Volk.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

You are right. I am trolling...and i ll stop, but to what extent do you need to protect yourself? If you have one gun on you, why not carry two....in case that one moment that you are preparing for comes. Do you guys live out of fear? Why do you feel you have to be armed to walk the streets? What is truly the driver that makes you feel you have to me armed to live life?

The answers to your questions will vary from individual to individual. That's why it's an individual choice.

Those that own guns do not insist that those who choose not to, to own a gun.

I am pro-2nd Amendment/gun ownership. I do not own a gun. I like shooting them. I've shot them many, many, many times...way more than the average joe I imagine. I simply choose not to own one.

It astonishes me still, that others would insist on trampling on the rights of others under the false idea of safety.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

While I agree with your thoughts...it does highlight once again that those who are uneducated about weapons accept what is feed to them by the media and therefore jump on the bandwagon in an effort to limit our rights, based entirely on limited knowledge.

It astonishes me still, that others would insist on trampling on the rights of others under the false idea of safety.

Driving is not a right, it’s a privilege. Similarly I don’t believe gun ownership should be a right either. I don’t think a civilian should be able to buy a tank, or a bomb, or a gun. I think a person must show a substantial need for ownership. For example gun collection is not a need, unless you are a gun museum owner.

I like to shoot guns too, but you don’t have to own one to go to a shooting range.

Driving is not a right, it’s a privilege. Similarly I don’t believe gun ownership should be a right either. I don’t think a civilian should be able to buy a tank, or a bomb, or a gun. I think a person must show a substantial need for ownership. For example gun collection is not a need, unless you are a gun museum owner.

I like to shoot guns too, but you don’t have to own one to go to a shooting range.

Gun ownership IS a right. That's the way it is.

So is flag burning, but most of us think it's a bad idea and wouldn't dream of doing it.

Sometimes we are better off choosing not to exercise our rights. That's how I feel about gun ownership.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that the reason you guys carry concealed weapons is in case you might need to protect yourself. When you leave your house and you strap on your gun, do you also put on a bullet proof vest, you know just in case you might need to protect yourself?

Nope no vest, they're illegal here. The pistol isn't.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

...but to what extent do you need to protect yourself?

It is always "one level" of force above the oppositon.

The opposition where I live seems to be small children with squirt guns. What would you recommend?

Correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that the reason you guys carry concealed weapons is in case you might need to protect yourself. When you leave your house and you strap on your gun, do you also put on a bullet proof vest, you know just in case you might need to protect yourself?

Correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that the reason you guys wear a reserve parachute is in case you need it to save your life. Do you also wear a tertiary parachute on every jump? Do you also wear knee pads and elbow pads? Do you also wear a shock absorbing vest, like bull riders and motorcycle riders do? No? Then I guess it stands to reason that every person determines his or her own level of preparedness.

--Douva

PS. Don't come back at me with, "The FAA requires me to use a reserve parachute," unless you're ready to state that you wouldn't use one if you didn't have to.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.