Douva

My Article in The Washington Times (Guns)

For any of you who are interested, there is an op-ed piece I wrote in today's edition of The Washington Times. CLICK HERE to read it online.

The editors changed one of the direct quotes to a paraphrase, which makes it a little less effective, but other than that it came out okay.

--W. Scott "Douva" Lewis

PS. If you want more information on the issue, or if you want to know why I take the position I do, go to http://www.ConcealedCampus.com. I haven't eaten or slept in a month--I've spent every waking moment debating this issue (and occasionally working, but mostly just debating this issue), so I'm going to stay out of any resulting debate. Maybe I'll check back in a month or so, after my batteries have had a chance to recharge, and answer any questions or arguments.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

Nice piece, well written.

I do not agree that thousands of armed but untrained 18-22 year olds on college campuses is a wonderful idea, though. I do not think the 18-22 year old population can be compared with the CCW population as a whole, which is rather more mature.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I do not agree that thousands of armed but untrained 18-22 year olds on college campuses is a wonderful idea, though. I do not think the 18-22 year old population can be compared with the CCW population as a whole, which is rather more mature.

While I understand your point, I disagree - the 18-22 year olds that are mature enough to go through the hassles of getting a CCW license are less likely (IMO) to twist off than the average.

Please note... I said "less likely IMO", not "immune" - I think that virtually anyone could go off their nut under the right stimulus.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

But you don't compare these two. You compare the CCW population with those in the 18-22 demographic who take the effort to secure a CCW license, rather than to go out drinking Thursday night. They already demonstrate a higher level of maturity.

Douva - you shouldn't go a month without sleeping. You're more effective with rest anyway.

See what I mean?

Kallend offered approximately the same amount of data that Douva's op-ed did. The average CCW age range is substantially older than 18-22.

For what it's worth, I pretty much agree with Douva on this issue. That doesn't justify your dismissal of Kallend's opinion as unsubstantiated hogwash. Both parties were primarily expressing opinions.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

While I understand your point, I disagree - the 18-22 year olds that are mature enough to go through the hassles of getting a CCW license are less likely (IMO) to twist off than the average.

Please note... I said "less likely IMO", not "immune" - I think that virtually anyone could go off their nut under the right stimulus.

Reducing the set from 18-22 year olds to 18-22 year olds who obtain a CCW license does not make them any more mature than the set of CCW holders as a whole. Kallend's point stands.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Those of opposing view will dismiss what you wrote as hogwash or being of little intellectual value, but will not offer any true data to prove their point.

that's hilarious.
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

For any of you who are interested, there is an op-ed piece I wrote in today's edition of The Washington Times. CLICK HERE to read it online.

The editors changed one of the direct quotes to a paraphrase, which makes it a little less effective, but other than that it came out okay.

--W. Scott "Douva" Lewis

PS. If you want more information on the issue, or if you want to know why I take the position I do, go to http://www.ConcealedCampus.com. I haven't eaten or slept in a month--I've spent every waking moment debating this issue (and occasionally working, but mostly just debating this issue), so I'm going to stay out of any resulting debate. Maybe I'll check back in a month or so, after my batteries have had a chance to recharge, and answer any questions or arguments.

Nice article. You make good points, but i can already see the next article on front page of CNN.com. Accidental death on a collge campus due to drunk friends showing off their guns to each other. Yeah.....legal guns on campus of a bunch 20 year olds really makes sense. No accidents would happen there...none at all.

But you don't compare these two. You compare the CCW population with those in the 18-22 demographic who take the effort to secure a CCW license, rather than to go out drinking Thursday night. They already demonstrate a higher level of maturity.

Douva - you shouldn't go a month without sleeping. You're more effective with rest anyway.

What proof do you have that 18-22y/o CCW holders refrain from drinking on Thursdays (or any other day). I can assure you that 18-22y/o ROTC students don't.

Excellent article. I also believe that teachers in schools should be allowed to carry concealed weapons. Could lives have been saved if a teacher was carrying concealed at Columbine? I think so.
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

I do not agree that thousands of armed but untrained 18-22 year olds on college campuses is a wonderful idea, though.

Well, then require training.

On a side note: If the claims are true that our university educators typically lean to the left, watching this play out would be quite amusing. :D

--W. Scott "Douva" Lewis

Well written. Although I'm stuck in Ca. right now and can't get a CCW here I still carry concealed. Be a felony if I get caught. Still rather have my life or save someones. Outta Ca. ASAP. Also for the gun nuts. A relative of my (by marriage) writes for American Rifleman. Bryce M.Towsley Pretty sharp guy.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Ever consider the average age of a gun weilding military member?
Weapons training is still a part of recruit training last I heard. (except maybe the Air Farce :P)

Ever consider how many accidental deaths from legal guns we have every year. I am sure I dont need to go digging for stats since this is a common occurence. Recently we have the NASA astronaut wanting to kill another astronaut for taking her man. Can you imagine this on a college campus where this happens every day. Nahhh...accidents, or murder using legal guns would never happen once we give the go ahead for college students to carry legal guns on campus.

I do not agree that thousands of armed but untrained 18-22 year olds on college campuses is a wonderful idea, though.

Well, then require training.

On a side note: If the claims are true that our university educators typically lean to the left, watching this play out would be quite amusing. :D

I believe each college and university makes its own rules (certainly the private ones do). If colleges want armed students on campus, thay can allow it now. If faculty would like to be armed, they can allow it now.

I will be VERY surprised if I see many (or any) empty holsters on our campus. It simply isn't an issue that has ever come up with our faculty senate or our student senate.

Although I'm stuck in Ca. right now and can't get a CCW here I still carry concealed. Be a felony if I get caught..

Another "law abiding gun owner":|

yeah - he'd fit right in with that "Woodstock" crowd - bucking the system, fighting "the man" against unreasonable laws.....

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Although I'm stuck in Ca. right now and can't get a CCW here I still carry concealed. Be a felony if I get caught..

Another "law abiding gun owner":|

One data point. I'd think that somewhere in your schooling, you'd have some idea of what represents a sufficient data set for making a conclusion. (hint: one person is insufficient). Your reply is a Fox News-worthy soundbite.
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.