Nightingale

Forget the 9mm... I want a .40

Actually, the .357 Sig round is being used by quite a number of law enforcement agencies in this country...including at least one federal agency.

I did not know that. My friend was begging the city to buy the police the .357 Sig. They ended up buying the .40. Still a nice round. It just seems the .357 Sig round just isnt that popular for some reason. A lot of people dont know about, or never heard of it. If you look at the numbers side by side it beats a .357 mag.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

My wife, carried (still does) a .40 Glock as an investigator for years and loves it. I recently watched her qualify at the range and she out-shot the men!:D I used it to qualify for my concealed carry permit and found it to be a nice pistol. She has the smaller frame model. I read a recent study in regard to pistols carried by law enforcement throughout this country and the .40 was found to be 'the best all-around for both men and women.' I like it because there is very little recoil to it. Just a good choice IMO.

Chuck

That gun is a wonderful piece of engineering! I've crossed the 9mm off my "to buy after vet bills are paid" list and replaced it with the .40. It's a little more expensive to practice with, but the extra firepower is probably worth it. Opinions?
I have a .40 and a 9x19.....I realy want a 10mm!
They are also expensive to practice with but if your willing to handload.... you can load them to act like a .40 or you can load them to out perform a .45, and way more accurate! It is a totaly flat flying round and has the knock downpower to boot at 100 yards!

Comparison would be like having a .41 magnum in an Auto at full power loads.
Know how you can shoot .38 out of a .357 mag.?
Well you can load this round to your special desire.
Good Luck:)

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

For overall concealability, power, ergonomics, the Springfield XD is my personal favorite, hands down and will be now my primary carry pistol. I guess I will have to start reloading 9mm now. <<<

Dotto.. I just got one also, love that little SOB. Did you get Black or Olive Drab?
I love the look and feel of the subcompact xd, I also chose the 9mm, cause of ammo avability, magazine capacity.

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

There is an excellent way to achieve .44mag performance out of a .45acp and still have the recoil of less than a .45acp

It is a gas system developed for the 1911, not cheap but when you need a damned cannon, it is there for you.

somehow I think that the casing is pretty full when loaded like that.

http://www.ncggasgun.com/

I know someone who was able to load the casing a bit hotter than the published data, as if the published was not hot enough for a 200grain round.

Gene03 turned me onto this, and I in turn let a few guys on the east coast know about it.

They were very enthusiastic.

so you have to "qualify" to obtain a concealed carry in TX?
In FL, just a 4 hour "safety" course or a DD-214.

and a clean record of course...;)

Yessir! It's an 8-hr. course. Laws and regulations in regard to carrying a concealed pistol are covered as well as qualifying at the range and a true-false multiple guess test. Also, a background check and fingerprintsare checked also prior to taking the class. See! You guys thought it was 'so easy' to get a concealed carry permit in Texas.:D Actually, it was quite informative and interesting. We had a little guy in the class I had who qualified with a Desert Eagle!!!:D:D

Chuck

Everyone has been talking about the Sig and Glock. Now these both are without a doubt great guns. One gun that I have and absolutely love is the Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm. It is also available in a .40 and .357sig. It also comes with three changeable grips for just the right fit! I chose the 9mm due to the cheapest ammo to use. As for knock down power? Too many people put too much emphasis on this. Unless you are law enforcement, I wouldn't worry about that but that's up to the individual. Let's just say that I wouldn't want to be hit by any of them!! Plus my S&W holds 17 rounds in one mag! The .40 however is a compromise between the 9mm and the .45ACP. But check out the M&P in any caliber. It's a sweet firing gun for around 500.00.;)

E As for knock down power? Too many people put too much emphasis on this. Unless you are law enforcement, I wouldn't worry about that but that's up to the individual.

IPSC gun games give guns which cross the "major power" momentum threshold a scoring advantage.

If you are going through the trouble of getting a gun for the rare social situation which requires one, why not get one that makes your chances of success highest?

This probably means a shotgun for home defense (9-12 9mm bullets sure beat one!) and something small and concealable for other cases (the gun doesn't work when its at home).

Then comes stopping power...

IPSC gun games give guns which cross the "major power" momentum threshold a scoring advantage.

If you are going through the trouble of getting a gun for the rare social situation which requires one, why not get one that makes your chances of success highest?

True I agree, That wasn't part of my decision though. To each his own:)

IMO, there's no better _stopping power_ than the sound of an 870 chambering a round. ;)

I've often considered inventing a house alarm that made that sound, rather than a regular house alarm. :D

Screen doors make that sound too. Kicked over toys. Stuff falling off shelves. You would be surprised how many aren't afraid of that sound. I sure woudn't want to tip off to someone crazy enough to rob an occupied house that I just now chambered a round. He might shoot me.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I went to the range today, because after the week I've had I really needed to blow off some stress. I felt like shooting something that would make bigger holes in the target than the 9mm Glock 17 I usually rent when I want to practice with something with more power than my .22 ruger, so I asked for an HK USP .40. That gun is a wonderful piece of engineering! I've crossed the 9mm off my "to buy after vet bills are paid" list and replaced it with the .40. It's a little more expensive to practice with, but the extra firepower is probably worth it. Opinions?

Yep, I like the .40 as well!:)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"