Scoop

Organ doner - Presumed consent - WTF!?

This story got my blood boiling...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6902519.stm

Quote from the article:

Everyone should be seen as a potential organ donor on their death unless they expressly request not to be, England's chief medical officer says.

How ridiculous. I think one of my biggest rights is to be buried intact and complete. I do not wish to be an organ doner. I like to think I will give enough to people in life without, in death, being robbed of my organs.

I have been wondering about getting my first tattoo and now I think I may well have to get one to inform whoever that I do not wish to be an organ doner!

Some may consider it selfish but I don't want to give after death. I find it disrespectful to the dead.

"Everyone should be seen as a potential organ donor on their death unless they expressly request not to be, England's chief medical officer says."
Just send in a request not to donate,problem solved.
A lot easier to handle than the other way around.

Just send in a request not to donate,problem solved. A lot easier to handle than the other way around.

But why should you have to request not to be cut up and organs handed out? What about people who die young who never even thought about making such a request and never got a chance to prevent it.

The only thing wrong with this, is that you can decline permission... WTF... Give it up, you dont need it......

... or we could always wait for you to snuff it and igone your opionion.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Some may consider it selfish but I don't want to give after death. I find it disrespectful to the dead.

Seems disrespectful to the living to insist they join you just so your body would be put in the ground "whole." I can almost understand the paranoia that doctors would let you die for your parts, but this I don't get. Is it a religion thing?

Since I'm all about cremation, it would be even more selfish for me to insist all my organs get burned too.

I think you all are right. It's an incredible gift, AND it's a gift you should have an unalienable right to decide whether or not to give.

The organs you donate could potentially alter or save the lives of several people; it could be your greatest legacy, even if nobody knows the results. But if you aren't comfortable with the process, you shouldn't have to do it. It's your body, for better or worse.

Keep in mind that there are more levels than just "yes" or "no". You can specify what tissues/organs you want harvested, as well as how the donations will be used. i.e. one of my loved one's living will states she wants to donate organs but NOT tissues. I don't understand why she draws that particular line, but respect her right to do so.

Elvisio "PLEASE sign the damn card" Rodriguez

Why be buried at all. I myself will be cremated . No muss, no fuss. No wasted space. The only area that is a bigger waste of real estate than a graveyard is a golf course. Hell, take my usable guts and make ashes out of the rest of me.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

But why should you have to request not to be cut up and organs handed out?

They're running short on Soylent Green...

I'm with you on this one, Scoop. Donating organs is a nice thing to do. But it shouldn't be the default - you should have the right to have your body preserved intact if you so wish.

It would also be nice if everyone donated one-third of their paychecks to the poor, but the government shouldn't take it from you against your will. Oh wait, they already do...

Just send in a request not to donate,problem solved. A lot easier to handle than the other way around.

What about people who die young who never even thought about making such a request and never got a chance to prevent it.

ummm ...they'd still be dead?
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

Honestly, why would you NOT want to give organs/tissue/whatever? It's not like you're going to use them, unless you're one of those people who believe that there's some place in the sky where you magically end up in, and if you don't have your heart and kidneys in your body when you're buried, you can't enter. Nevermind those heart and kidneys are full of xenu only knows how many chemicals at that point.

I think the only real reason I'd have ANY misgivings about organ donation is that someone that could have been saved might die so their organs can be used to save someone else, but that doesn't really make any sense, so I'm not worried about it.

As far as I'm concerned, once I kick the bucket they can use any part of my body they want for anything they want. Hell, if someone has a fucked up sense of humour and wants to put my head on a stick and put it in their front lawn, what's it to me? I'm already dead. Want to put my hand and forearm around a bottle of Coke and stick it in someone's fridge? Fucking hilarious, I support that.
cavete terrae.

But quite a few are missing the point, it should be the other way around, you suscribe to become a organ donor, not the other way around. If someone does not want to donate, who are we to coerce them?

If he wants it then let it be, same should apply otherwise. Imagine with the DNA database, and the police-govt agencies-military being the only ones able to carry newer guns, deciding to profile people and "accidentally"kill someone because any of your royalty-wealthy-influental people or their relatives need organ replacement....very scary thought:D:D

"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

You don't have to state in advance that you want to receive organs, if you should need any, so why state in advance that you want to donate them? Seems like reasonable defaults to me.

By assuming consent, all the people that can't be bothered with signing some form to agree are considered organ donors, their relatives don't have to make that decision for them and there are some more organ donors, which is badly needed. I can't see anything bad with this. If someone doesn't want to donate their organs (which I can't understand why), they have ways to say so.

As for the fear of some doctor letting you die to get the organs, it really makes no sense. If the doctor is willing to do that, they can just as well ignore your wishes regarding organ donation.

Everyone should be seen as a potential organ donor on their death unless they expressly request not to be, England's chief medical officer says.

For practical purposes, it is that way here (in Florida at least). With the death of EVERY patient, the nurse is required by law to call the organ donation line immediately after the death and give them specifics as to age, diagnosis, any infections, etc.

The nurse has to fill out a form documenting who they talked to and what family member was contacted (if the patient met the criteria) about organ donation and document that they specifically refused for the patient to be excluded from the process.
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

Organ donation, Yeah right, over my dead body.

They can use any part of my body after payment has been received by my next of kin.
Immediate family, All parts free
Extended family , 50% discount
Rest of humanity, You want you pay for it

Gone fishing

You don't have to state in advance that you want to receive organs, if you should need any, so why state in advance that you want to donate them? Seems like reasonable defaults to me.

Not to me, it should be the other way around. In the US you can state so, and sign at the moment you receive a driver's license. It's easy.

By assuming consent, all the people that can't be bothered with signing some form to agree are considered organ donors, their relatives don't have to make that decision for them and there are some more organ donors, which is badly needed. I can't see anything bad with this. If someone doesn't want to donate their organs (which I can't understand why), they have ways to say so.

Your point of view sounds like lazyness to some, a simple signature should be sufficient to make you a donor. In some cases I can't understand why people get tatoos? However they are entitled to do with their bodies as they wish, same goes for abortion.

As for the fear of some doctor letting you die to get the organs, it really makes no sense. If the doctor is willing to do that, they can just as well ignore your wishes regarding organ donation.

You are missing the point, in the interest of having a reward out there from a wealthy recipient, I think anything is possible. Or you don't believe people who have wealth and power will not be willing to do whatever possible to help themselves or any of their loved ones if they ever needed an organ donor?:|
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

You are missing the point, in the interest of having a reward out there from a wealthy recipient, I think anything is possible. Or you don't believe people who have wealth and power will not be willing to do whatever possible to help themselves or any of their loved ones if they ever needed an organ donor?:|

Why should permission or lack of permission for organs influence what the truly wealthy do? They do what they like in all other areas of life.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I want to be as complete as possible when I go in the ground. I didn't enter life as a do-it-yourself flat pack child. As soon as I hit 50 I'm going to the doctor once a week until the day I die just so those bastards don't have to put me under the knife to find a cause of death. I think its sad that even in obviously innocent and natural circumstances they still perform a post mortem.

I have respect for the dead. I'd never walk across a grave or take a short cut through a graveyard and I want some of that courtesy extended to me. That includes my right not to be stripped bare and organs sent away like a car in a scrap yard. Its not a religious thing, I don't have a faith, but thats my personal view on treating a body respectfully and I shouldn't have to go out my way to sign a form to request my body remain intact.

I know people need organs but its tough. Not off me I'm afraid. I truly believe that in my lifetime I will do more than enough to contribute to society and prevent loss of life to not be bothered when I'm finally at rest.

By the time I die they'll probably be growing organs in a labratory anyway, they are nearly there already.