DropDgorgeous

I would like to tell you a bit more about God

So for god to be God he has to be unknowable and mysterious?? Yeah that really makes me want to believe!

Again, if there is a god that created "everything" and existed outside of time, wouldn't he be unknowable and mysterious apart from what he wants us to know about him, either through nature or revelation?

steveOrino

If there really was a god don't you think he would be a little less ambiguous? Why can't he just communicate with us directly instead of through an old book that can be interpreted in many different ways?

I guess that would be a question you'd have. My questions would be a lot different.

steveOrino

And the answer is God or god or gods don't exist. People made them up to satisfy their need to explain everything.

How do you know that without a doubt? What happened before the "big bang" in your opinion?

I don't necessarily know with out any doubt at all that gods don't exist. Since there is no evidence of any gods I can only conclude that gods don't exist. Now if there
were to be some evidence then I would change my conclusion. Just because no one knows what happened before the "big bang" does not mean there is a god. That type of conclusion is what ancient people came to when they came across anything they didn't understand. Just because we don't understand something or don't have full knowledge of something doesn't automatically mean there is a supernatural reason.

Just because we don't understand something or don't have full knowledge of something doesn't automatically mean there is a supernatural reason.

By a similar argument: Just because we don't have full knowledge of something doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

By a similar argument: Just because we don't have full knowledge of something doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

I dont need _full_ knowledge of something to conclude it exists. But I do need _significant_ knowledge of it to do so.
Remster

Just because we don't understand something or don't have full knowledge of something doesn't automatically mean there is a supernatural reason.

Right but if there is no evidence then there is no reason to believe it exists. Kind of like the boogie man. Do you believe the boogie man exists?

"full knowledge" isn't necessary, but some evidence is necessary to believe something exists. Right now there isn't one bit of evidence of any god.

Right but if there is no evidence then there is no reason to believe it exists. Kind of like the boogie man. Do you believe the boogie man exists?

"full knowledge" isn't necessary, but some evidence is necessary to believe something exists. Right now there isn't one bit of evidence of any god.

Some people have personal evidence that god exists (or perhaps other supernatural things, such as the bogeyman). Even though this may not be enough proof to make others believe, it may be enough proof for the person who experiences it.

Then it isn't evidence, it's a personal reason. Many people have what they consider reasons to believe in god, but no one has any evidence of god.

ev·i·dence /ˈɛvɪdəns/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ev-i-duhns] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, -denced, -denc·ing.
–noun 1. that which tends to prove or disprove something; ground for belief; proof.
2. something that makes plain or clear; an indication or sign: His flushed look was visible evidence of his fever.
3. Law. data presented to a court or jury in proof of the facts in issue and which may include the testimony of witnesses, records, documents, or objects.
–verb (used with object) 4. to make evident or clear; show clearly; manifest: He evidenced his approval by promising his full support.
5. to support by evidence: He evidenced his accusation with incriminating letters.
—Idiom6. in evidence, plainly visible; conspicuous: The first signs of spring are in evidence.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1250–1300; ME (n.) < MF < L évidentia. See evident, -ence]

Then it isn't evidence, it's a personal reason. Many people have what they consider reasons to believe in god, but no one has any evidence of god.

Another definition of "evidence" from American Heritage: "A thing or things helpful in forming a conclusion or judgment."

From that definition, I think that if people say they have personal evidence of god, then they probably do. It's not scientific evidence that is going to prove anything to the rest of the world, but that is not what most people are claiming.

It still suggests something physical that can be shared with others and leads to the conclusion that there is a god. Everything that has been suggested as evidence of god has not proven to be evidence of god once the logic has been tested.

Who said God is "physical?" JC said God was "spirit."

steveOrino

It still suggests something physical that can be shared with others and leads to the conclusion that there is a god. Everything that has been suggested as evidence of god has not proven to be evidence of god once the logic has been tested.

There are a few different problems here.

1. How do you know JC actually said that?

All you have is one written account. Not much go on.

2. If God can show himself to Moses, why can't he show himself to us today?

3. If God can do anything then why can't he take on physical form?

So many questions with no answers.

There are a few different problems here.

1. How do you know JC actually said that?
There continues a debate (Jesus Seminar) I rest on those who have good work with ancient documents

All you have is one written account. Not much go on.

2. If God can show himself to Moses, why can't he show himself to us today?

Well, according to the Bible, he appeared as something (burning bush) to Moses. As to why he can't do something for me or you in particular ... Who is to say he hasn't. To me personally? No, He hasn't, but according to the rarity that manifestation happened in the OT & NT, I'd say it is very very rare.

3. If God can do anything then why can't he take on physical form?
He can, he did ... JC

So many questions with no answers that satisfy me Fixed it for you. ;)

steveOrino