joedirt

Can the Taliban wait us out in Afghanistan?

The taliban has been in that part of the world longer than we have, and it's more important to them than it is to us. So yes....either Afghanistan or thereabouts.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

There are more people in Afghanistan than the Taliban. If & when we depart they will all have the opportunity to assert their influence hopefully within a stable civil framework they've built.

Afghanistan wasn't always the shit-hole the Taliban made it and it needn't return to that despair.

they can at least wait out the current administration, if they were even where we're fighting, but we're not fighting the Taliban in Iraq. The current administration wants you to think we are, however.

Yes, the Taliban is outnumbered but they have a huge amount of money from opium and heroin. Last I read Afghanistan remained the world's largest producer of opium in 2006 (over 90%), and is also the largest heroin producing and trafficking country in the world. It's a vicious circle of drugs funding terrorism, and terrorist supporting drug trafficking. IMO we took our eyes off the real threat when we invaded Iraq and allowed time for the Taliban to regroup and rise up again.

Absolutely yes, unless our approach changes radically. A limited effort, severely hampered by the region's politics, taking place in an extremely challenging physical environment.

The half-hearted effort is a waste of time and lives. War needs to be (as much as it needs to be at all) a full commitment, or stay at home. If we do not finish it properly, the place will self-destruct upon exit. Look at how powerless the locals are. The Taliban guns down schoolchildren in broad daylight (just to intimidate girls and women from going to school).

A crime about as atrocious as it gets, being commited at will and going unpunished.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

That wasn't the Taliban.

Hmm
Same People

Same Country

Same religious fanaticism

Same dislike of foreigners in their country.

Only the name has changed....but you knew that already

Wrong,

there are many people in the region some of whom the Taliban have oppressed in Afghanistan including the warlords who emerged during & after Soviet occupation who are not Taliban but have equal claim to that heritage.

About the only thing the Taliban was good for was their drug policies. Get caught growing or using and it was just about a death sentence. They used to destroy huge fields of poppys left and right. There is more opium coming out of there now then there was under the Taliban.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

If we gave up on the ridiculous war on drugs and focused more on the war on terror we might improve the situation. Who are the people of Afghanistan going to support? the power that lets them grow their most profitable crop or the power that stops them?
We need to chose which war we really want to fight.

Can the Taliban wait us out in Afghanistan?

What else would they do? They live there, and we're just visiting.

Not that they'll be successful in taking over again, but yes, they will still be there after we leave.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

10 years from now:
[taliban]

Excuse me miss, but you have eyeshadow on, therefore you are a whore, now lay still while we cut off your eyelids.:|

Hey I saw you thinking about sex, now off with your clit!>:(

Hey you, put down that book on civil rights and give me a hand holding these women down for mutilation.

[/taliban]

Yeah I could see why some people want us to lose to the Islamic fundamentalists.:|

Today, Afghanistan, tomorrow your home.

>

ummm.... I don't ever remember reading here that anyone wants the Fundamentalists (Islamic or CHristian for that matter) to win anything...... Most anti-this-war-not-all-wars people are just plain sick and tired of innocent folk being killed in the name of freedom. I guess that makes us unpatriotic or something, in some peoples eyes.:S

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Yeah I could see why some people want us to lose to the Islamic fundamentalists.:|

Name some westerners that want us to lose to the Taliban.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Just read that GB resignation speech thread. Every single person who buys the NY Times wants us to lose to the Taliban. I'll bet some of them are on dz.com :o

Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Name some westerners that want us to lose to the Taliban.

You want the entire list?

Start with much of academia, then followed by quite a few politicians, protesters, students, Alqaeda sympathizers, and some of the dz.com posters.

the problem lies in people being against everything, even if they do not know why.

So get your ass out there John, and start locally by challenging any of your students to prove why we should not be involved in a war, a war against those who would deprive anyone not like them of even the most basic human rights.

They don't want to be involved in this is what has been said over and over, well guess what?

They are involved, no matter whether they like it or not.

Muslims who are decent and go on about their daily lives are just as much at risk as anyone else who the chosen few "freedom fighters" have deemed not pious enough.