BillyVance

What does the "H." stand for?

When people say "Jesus H. Christ" in exclamation of disgust or disbelief, what does the "H" refer to? I've never figured that out.

So what is it? Henry, Hell, Hee, Hi, Ho, Hum???? :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

When people say "Jesus H. Christ" in exclamation of disgust or disbelief, what does the "H" refer to? I've never figured that out.

HALLELUIAH !!!!!!

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

The joke originates from the fact that many crucifixes have the letters "IHS" above them, which stand for Iesus Hominum Salvator , a Latin phrase meaning "Jesus, saviour of men"

So the H stands for Hominum.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

I don't get it... they always insult and make jokes about my God, but I don't see many peiople doing that to them and their beliefs... hmmm, well, Thank you, you confirm what the Word says about the world will persecute followers of Christ and such.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

I don't get it... they always insult and make jokes about my God, but I don't see many peiople doing that to them and their beliefs... hmmm, well, Thank you, you confirm what the Word says about the world will persecute followers of Christ and such.

Rubbish, your God is not insulted, you are, and only because you chose to come here and read. Your beliefs are not owed any special reverence by others and further you are not being persecuted. I see Christians CONSTANTLY insult hard science & its proponents.

America was founded by people fleeing persecution by Christians.

You've got a nerve saying you're being persecuted because people exercise THEIR freedom to discuss anything they choose. It is difficult to calculate the numbers of heretics who were persecuted by Christian Churches, but for a lesson in real persecution, read a history book on what happened to the Cathars just as one example among MANY.

Your self-pitying drivel about persecution is merely self-indulgent bilge su you & your fellow Christians feel good about what they must endure for their faith when in fact then endure nothing of the sort here, and certainly in America they endure far less than they mete out to others who "offend" them.

Persecution.... snort!

Rubbish, your God is not insulted, you are, and only because you chose to come here and read. Your beliefs are not owed any special reverence by others and further you are not being persecuted. I see Christians CONSTANTLY insult hard science & its proponents.

America was founded by people fleeing persecution by Christians.

You've got a nerve saying you're being persecuted because people exercise THEIR freedom to discuss anything they choose. It is difficult to calculate the numbers of heretics who were persecuted by Christian Churches, but for a lesson in real persecution, read a history book on what happened to the Cathars just as one example among MANY.

Your self-pitying drivel about persecution is merely self-indulgent bilge su you & your fellow Christians feel good about what they must endure for their faith when in fact then endure nothing of the sort here, and certainly in America they endure far less than they mete out to others who "offend" them.

Persecution.... snort!

Now that's a PERSONAL ATTACK!:o

Someone told me once, the 'H' stood for Hallmark... He only sends His very best.

Chuck

Someone told me once, the 'H' stood for Hallmark... He only sends His very best.

Chuck

Nice one! :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I don't get it... they always insult and make jokes about my God, but I don't see many peiople doing that to them and their beliefs.

Because if you make the wrong joke about some other religions, some extremist will grab the first poor pale skinned bastard they can find and saw his head off.

It's like making fun of white people in the U.S. It's fashionable, especially by the white people who are above it all.

hmmm, well, Thank you, you confirm what the Word says about the world will persecute followers of Christ and such.

Oh the persecution! When will the world start being fair to christians?

When oh when will a Christian be able to dream of being President? When will Christians no longer be one of the smallest minorities in your great states? Will we ever be able to see the day that Christians can form political pressure groups and influence the policies of the government?

Oh, wait....:S
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

>Oh, wait....

It's that victim complex thing in action. When someone is a victim, then THEY aren't to blame - it's all someone else's fault! Christians are victims of persecution. The GOP is a victim of the evil liberal press. Cunningham, Ney, Delay etc are victims of . . . well, you get the idea.

Dude, you must think that God doesn't have a sense of humor. I have news for you, she does. ;) If you doubt that statement, I kindly invite you to explain the existence of the noble Platypus.B|
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

>Like racism?

Yep. If someone is racist, it's their fault.

Oh.:o I thought you were talking about victims.

Umm - YOU brought up racism. Hoist by your own red herring.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I don't get it... they always insult and make jokes about my God, but I don't see many peiople doing that to them and their beliefs.

Because if you make the wrong joke about some other religions, some extremist will grab the first poor pale skinned bastard they can find and saw his head off.

It's like making fun of white people in the U.S. It's fashionable, especially by the white people who are above it all.

thank you, that made me laugh.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

>Like racism?

Yep. If someone is racist, it's their fault.

Oh.:o I thought you were talking about victims.

Umm - YOU brought up racism. Hoist by your own red herring.

Or perhaps it was a matter of you and Bill intentionally missing the fairly obvious point.

Funny how people can fabricate a connection between two separate entities/events/concepts, when there is no direct link (I'm sure you know what I mean;)) and they can miss some rather obvious connections, too.