diablopilot

I've fucking had it!!!

Well I disagree with your crusade to restrict everyone's freedom (all because you perceive someone cut YOU off), I guess that must make me self absorbed.

See what you fail to understand since you are self absorbed is that DRIVING IS NOT A RIGHT. It's a priviledge.

And "Yank" is just as derogitory racist a term as "Limey". Neither of which is acceptable to me as they both apply to me.

You're a pretty poor example of what the UK has to offer.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Well I disagree with your crusade to restrict everyone's freedom (all because you perceive someone cut YOU off), I guess that must make me self absorbed.

See what you fail to understand since you are self absorbed is that DRIVING IS NOT A RIGHT. It's a priviledge.

And "Yank" is just as derogitory racist a term as "Limey". Neither of which is acceptable to me as they both apply to me.

And I think you can both stop THAT part of the conversation now.

Let's drop the personal attacks and continue with the generic ones against stupid people that don't pay attention while in command of deadly weapons.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

As for the "deadly 3000lb" crap, stow it, you're not talking to some yank who falls for that kind of manipulative bullshit.

I nearly lost a good friend to one of these stupid fuckers who was smoking a cig, jabbering away on a cell phone....... who didnt notice the bright red stoplight, Frank was on a streetbike, so I would have to agree with diablopilots assesment.

hang up and fucking drive.

Roy

We should ban streetbikes while we're at it.:S

And the the driver of any vehicle should sit in a soundproof cab isolated from all passengers, unless aforementioned passengers wear a gag. Do you have any idea of the number of accidents caused by nagging bitches in the passenger seat?

Some arsehole almost drove into me the other day and sure enough, there was a woman sat right next to him.

I'm a little hot about this right now as I was run off the road again on my motorcycle by yet another driver not paying attention with a cell phone stcuk to the right side of their face.

Try it. YOu might see what I'm saying.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

You know what's really fucking retarded?

When an Englishman refuses to be associated with a Welshman or a Scotsman even though, 1) they are all British, and 2) their country is smaller than the state of Florida, and yet, at the same time, they all think that every single person from the United States is the same, that there is no difference between a Georgian, a Floridian, a New Yorkian, and a Californian.

And these are not opinions I have. These are FACTS I have learned from spending a fair amount of time on the other side of the pond, enough at least that I still carry remnants of an accent.

If you are implying that I think all yanks are the same then you are mistaken. Having lived in the USA for 10 years I know that is not the case, but I have always known this.

Neither are racist.

The first tactic of an American when they want to take something away from you is to call it a priviledge. Other nations don't bother with this construct, they just say "we're taking away your driving license". The word "priviledge" is an interesting cultural tick that arises when trampling over a constitution.

Fortunately others disagree sufficiently that I manage to scrape by.:D

I'm a little hot about this right now as I was run off the road again on my motorcycle by yet another driver not paying attention with a cell phone stcuk to the right side of their face.

Try it. YOu might see what I'm saying.

Fair enough, and I do get your point, I disagree with it though.

When I rode a motorcycle in Scotland oblivious idiots would nearly kill me all the time, and that was before cellphones were prevalent.

It is already illegal to drive distracted in California for example. There have been prosecutions for this due to cellphone use. Using a phone though is not in and of itself illegal.

...And "Yank" is just as derogitory racist a term as "Limey". Neither of which is acceptable to me as they both apply to me.

"Limey Yank" sounds like a sissy, girlie, Yuppie drink to me.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Oh, and stow the "Yank" bullshit. It's just as racist as any other slang.

Slightly hypocritical to pull a rascist card when you just White washed EVERRYONE with a cell phone on their ears in a car:D:D:D Time for a Sit in the comfy chair and a chill out liquid of choice JP ;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

How many fatal car accidents have you attended? How many times have you had to try to comfort someone in a car accident before an ambulance attends because there is nothing you can do. Have you ever gone round someones house and told them that their son has died in a car accident?

You sound very big on freedom and personal choice. What about the rights of others on the road to be safe? If you're really that keen on doing it I hope you won't have your licence much longer. Do you realise that talking on your phone whilst driving actually makes your reaction times slower than if you were over the drink/drive limit (Breath: 30ug/100ml) by a couple of units.

Unfortunately with this website we tend to think that someones opinion is representitive of their countries views. I'd just like to point out this would be totally incorrect.

How many fatal car accidents have you attended? How many times have you had to try to comfort someone in a car accident before an ambulance attends because there is nothing you can do. Have you ever gone round someones house and told them that their son has died in a car accident?

You sound very big on freedom and personal choice. What about the rights of others on the road to be safe? If you're really that keen on doing it I hope you won't have your licence much longer. Do you realise that talking on your phone whilst driving actually makes your reaction times slower than if you were over the drink/drive limit (Breath: 30ug/100ml) by a couple of units.

Unfortunately with this website we tend to think that someones opinion is representitive of their countries views. I'd just like to point out this would be totally incorrect.

I've had friends die in traffic accidents so I really don't care for your hackneyed grizzled cop routine. When I was in primary school about 10 years old we had a British bobby come in and give us the "these are the hands that have held the bodies, these are the hands that have knocked on the door to give the bad news" speech. It was telling that even at the tender age of 10, an entire class of 30 was supremely unimpressed by that crap. I could just as well argue that your excessive exposure makes you supremely unqualified to make a balanced judgement.

I've heard some anecdotal fucking horseshit from British cops on traffic safety that really jades me to this kind of 'expert' opinion, one particularly memorable encounter was with a lying rat who pulled me over on my motorbike and started giving me the routine about how dangerous they were and if I skidded on a bike I was dead (he was that clueless about bike handling) right before he threw 3 alternate charges at me based on a lie and his opinion.

I respect good cops, but you get one vote the same as everyone else.

It's already been established that the UK has outlawed talking on a handset. Some studies also concluded that hands free was not much better. But they don't account for the big picture, like rushing to get home or stress or distraction over wondering about the call you missed, or of pulling over at random times to take a call & getting rear ended.

The tests you cite are extremely suspect and I helped some other engineers build the simulators used in such tests in the UK. I unhesitatingly say that they are some of the most underspec'd shittiest sims I have seen in my career with horrible latency and the worst graphics I have ever seen. This was compounded by absolutely terrible engineering which I was powerless to remedy, and it is shocking to me that they are used for any kind of empirical research, yet they are used extensively and exclusively to produce empirical data of all sorts.

None of this accounts for individual variation or even training to make a call. It can be done and it is a cop out to say that everyone is a distracted idiot on the phone. I have seen people go into a trance on the phone and gesticulate as if they have no other task at hand and others who focus on their driving despite the call. You can say this is just me saying I'm better than everyone else, but it has noting to do with me, it is just an absolutely glaringly obvious factor to any observant individual who cares to take note. It is insufficient to respond to this with name calling and denial in support of the usual one size fits all dogma.

Neither are racist.

The first tactic of an American when they want to take something away from you is to call it a priviledge. Other nations don't bother with this construct, they just say "we're taking away your driving license". The word "priviledge" is an interesting cultural tick that arises when trampling over a constitution.

Fortunately others disagree sufficiently that I manage to scrape by.:D

When i passed my driving test in the UK my instructor turned to me and said "Well done - but never forget - driving is a privilege, not a right".

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

When i passed my driving test in the UK my instructor turned to me and said "Well done - but never forget - driving is a privilege, not a right".

Meh, the exception that proves the rule. Besides there's cultural contamination that oozes over on the televox.

I never heard it used as such in the three decades I lived in the UK, privilege was almost exclusively used in a class/wealth related context. In the USA more often than not it relates to someting typically taken for granted to emphasize that it might be taken away. It is used with prevalence in relation to all sorts of "privileges" by every legislator, lobbyist and servant in a peak cap.

Of course for American kids and prisoners life consists entirely of privieges that can be capriciously withdrawn on any whim so they are well conditioned for the 'freedom' of the nanny state.

Maybe it is a sign of the times.[:/]

...The first tactic of an American when they want to take something away from you is to call it a priviledge. Other nations don't bother with this construct, they just say "we're taking away your driving license". The word "priviledge" is an interesting cultural tick that arises when trampling over a constitution.

It's funny how everything is a "right". It's my right to _____ (fill in the blank).

Those that want to do stupid shit claim it as a "right" and squeal that you are trampling on their constitutional rights if you tell them not to do it.
Funny as hell.

Talkin' on the phone whilst driving is stupid shit IMHO.

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I totally agree about the cell phone thing. Although it is just a symptom of people not paying attention. People chatting, smoking, eating, shaving, putting makeup on, performing sexual acts while driving - I have come across all of the above and it ticks me off (although the one incident was very entertaining!).

People not paying attention are lethal. Our local police and council run a safety day for people on sports bikes - police and advanced instructors passing on knowledge, which I went to last week. The topic of people not paying attention came up and the most vivide example was a woman putting makeup on AND talking on the phone. She cut the guy up and he kicked her door 3 or 4 times and she didn't notice him!!
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

It's funny how everything is a "right". It's my right to _____ (fill in the blank).

Those that want to do stupid shit claim it as a "right" and squeal that you are trampling on their constitutional rights if you tell them not to do it.
Funny as hell.

Talkin' on the phone whilst driving is stupid shit IMHO.

You'd best get on that right away and pass a law then. And while you're at it you should ban talking to passengers whilst driving, I mean that's some stupid shit right there.

Gawd and skidiving, only a moron skydives, there's no need for it, that's some stupid shit IMHO.

Skydiving is a privilege not a right you do understand that don't you?

Of course it's all meaningless shit, and I have absolutely no RIGHT to tell you not to skydive, but screw you, I'll call it a privilege demagogue and get enough whuffos to ground your privileged ass because this is the land of the free, MY FREEDOM to tell your ass what you can & can't do.:P

P.S. I don't want to hear any squealing from you once you're grounded, geeze you'd think skydiving was in the constitution or something, frikin daredevils.:S

Cool. You're quite convinced that only a moron is impacted by driving while talking on the cell phone.

You OK with having a higher penalty for a cell-phone-induced wreck? You know, if a cell phone is found to have been on immediately before an accident or violation, then the fine or penalty is increased? Of course, that would take the cell phone company cooperating, but as someone who always drives responsibly with his cell phone, I'm sure you wouldn't mind that, right?

Yes, of course I'm being sarcastic. There are people who can drive safely with cell phones, just as there are people who manage not to have accidents while driving drunk. I know people how have been skydiving drunk and high as well. And, ya know what obviously they could handle it, because none of them bounced.

Most people's freedom ends pretty much at the presumption that it will impact someone else's safety.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I like this thread. It's a very good argument. But, I have to side with diablo on this one dorbie. Driving with a cell phone to your ear is moronic! REGARDLESS if you feel you can handle it or not. There are idiots out there texting while driving. Give me a break, the cell phone is a deadly weapon when it's combined with a soccer mom driving an 8,000lb SUV. Or a "chav" with less sense then the rock they're driving on.

Here in the USA we're not as nice on the roads as they are in the UK. You'd have to come drive around in some cities here before you can make a judgement. I can make this call because I've traveled all over the UK & Ireland along with Europe. They just don't drive like the idiots we've got here.

Personally, I'm all for a law against driving with the cell phone on period. I think all cell phones should trigger a mechinism in the car you're in to make it unable to operate if it's on.

:|

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

I like this thread. It's a very good argument. But, I have to side with diablo on this one dorbie. Driving with a cell phone to your ear is moronic! REGARDLESS if you feel you can handle it or not. There are idiots out there texting while driving. Give me a break, the cell phone is a deadly weapon when it's combined with a soccer mom driving an 8,000lb SUV. Or a "chav" with less sense then the rock they're driving on.

Here in the USA we're not as nice on the roads as they are in the UK. You'd have to come drive around in some cities here before you can make a judgement. I can make this call because I've traveled all over the UK & Ireland along with Europe. They just don't drive like the idiots we've got here.

Personally, I'm all for a law against driving with the cell phone on period. I think all cell phones should trigger a mechinism in the car you're in to make it unable to operate if it's on.

:|

Well, if any thing he car should trigger the cell phone to off. I wouldn't want that thing malfunctioning and/or shutting my car becuase my phone turned on in my pocket .:ph34r:
My photos

My Videos

I believe in the UK its an automatic fine and 3 points off your license now. I think 12 points and you lose your license.

What i find more annoying is Americans have no concept of fast and slow lane. Fuckers will drive side by side at 60. Now thats frustrating.

Yup but at least you can pass on the inside.

Yeah 3 Points and £80 fine or up to £1000 if it goes to court and we cant pass on the inside, thats undertaking and dangerous driving and yep another 3 points!;)
If you can't take care, take cover!!!

Nayf

Well, if any thing he car should trigger the cell phone to off. I wouldn't want that thing malfunctioning and/or shutting my car becuase my phone turned on in my pocket .:ph34r:

At least we'd know who turned their cell phone on. They'd all be wrecked and sitting on the side of the road.

This reminds me of a Gallagher bit. (yes I'm that old) He once said every driver is issued a dart gun and a supply of those lick'um stick'um darts once they've completed their drivers exam. So when driving around the city, if they see someone driving like an idot, they can fire off a dart at that car and it sticks to the hood. Once you've gotten 3 darts on your hood. The cops pull you over and take away your drivers license! :D

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."