Zipp0

Iran - How Far Will they Push?

More from The Strategy Page (my emphasis)

The Iranian Family Feud and the British Hostages

A more thoughtful and insightful article that TSP's usual rants. Good analysis.

Mike.

More interesting developments that support TSP's analysis:

Iranian diplomat seized in Iraq released
By NASSER KARIMI, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 37 minutes ago

TEHRAN, Iran - An Iranian diplomat in Iraq seized two months ago by uniformed gunmen has been released, Iran reported Tuesday, while in Baghdad a senior foreign ministry official said his government was "intensively" seeking the release of five Iranians detained there by the U.S.

The developments came as British Prime Minister Tony Blair said the next two days would be "fairly critical" to resolving the dispute over a British navy crew seized by Iran.

The Iraqi official also said Iraq had exerted pressure on those holding the Iranian diplomat, Jalal Sharafi, who was released Monday and returned to Tehran on Tuesday. The official would not say who had custody of the diplomat.

A senior government official, however, said Iraqi intelligence had held the Iranian diplomat. Both officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to release the information.

Sharafi was seized on Feb. 4 when his car was intercepted by vehicles carrying armed men in the Karradah district of Baghdad. The gunmen, who wore Iraqi uniforms, forced him into one of their vehicles and sped away.

Iran's official Islamic Republic News Agency confirmed Sharafi's release but gave no indication of the circumstances surrounding his Feb. 4 disappearance or his release. In January, the U.S. military seized five Iranians in a raid in northern Iraq, accusing them of links to an Iranian Revolutionary Guard faction that funds and arms insurgents and militias in Iraq.

Two days after the raid, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said President Bush approved the strategy of raiding Iranian targets in Iraq as part of efforts to confront the government in Tehran.

Iran had insisted that the five detained Iranians were engaged exclusively in consular work.

"We are intensively seeking the release of the five Iranians," the Iraqi foreign ministry official said. "This will be a factor that will help in the release of the British sailors and marines."

An official at the Iranian embassy confirmed Sharafi's release, but said he did not know who was responsible for freeing him: "He was kidnapped and I don't have further details," said the official, who was not authorized to speak to the media and commented only on condition of anonymity.

The developments come amid signs that Britain and Iran were seeking to resolve the dispute over the seized British crew.

Iran maintains the British sailors had encroached on Iranian territory and that it had no intention of offering to swap them for Iranians held in Iraq. Britain insists its service members were in Iraqi waters and has demanded their unconditional release.

The chief Iranian negotiator, Ali Larijani, told Britain's Channel 4 news Monday through an interpreter that Iranian officials "definitely believe that this issue can be resolved and there is no need for any trial."

Blair told Scotland's Real Radio that if Iran wants to resolve the standoff with diplomacy, "the door is open."

Britain had two options, Blair said.

"One is to try settle this by way of peaceful and calm negotiation to get our people back as quickly as possible," he said. "The other is to make it clear that if that is not possible that we have to take an increasingly tougher position."

The 15 British sailors and marines were captured by Iranian forces in the Persian Gulf on March 23. They were detained while patrolling for smugglers near the mouth of the Shatt al-Arab, a waterway that has long been a disputed dividing line between Iraq and Iran.

On Monday, an Iranian state-run television station said all 15 of the detained Royal Navy personnel had confessed to illegally entering Iranian waters before they were captured.

However, Iranian state-run radio said the confessions would not be broadcast because of what it called "positive changes" in the negotiating stance of Britain, whose leaders have been angered by the airing of videos of the captives.

The radio did not elaborate on the supposed changes by the British. But in London, a British official, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue, said Prime Minister Tony Blair's government had agreed to consider ways to avoid such situations in the future.

The official insisted Britain was not negotiating with the Iranians and still wanted the captives freed unconditionally.

Larijani also urged Britain to guarantee "that such violation will not be repeated," but avoided repeating Tehran's demand for an apology. British leaders have insisted they have no reason to apologize.

The comments suggested the sides were seeking a face-facing formula in which each could argue its interests were upheld while the captives could go free. Under such a formula, Iran could claim Britain tacitly acknowledged the border area is in dispute, and Britain could maintain it never apologized.

A generation ago, such a formula helped free Americans held by Tehran for 444 days. The United States pledged not to interfere in Iranian affairs, enabling the hostage takers to claim they had achieved their goal.

Associated Press writers Qassim Abdul-Zahra in Baghdad, Robert H. Reid in Amman, Jordan, and David Stringer in London, contributed to this report.

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

The sooner the radical islamofascists realize that and decide that perhaps peace is a more noble pursuit....then perhaps all of us can get on with making this a better world.

Has it ever occured to you that your version of a better world might not be the same as some one else's version of a better world?

Invading Iraq has been a prime example. Not everybody wants to live like an American.

What he said!;)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Has it ever occured to you that your version of a better world might not be the same as some one else's version of a better world?

Invading Iraq has been a prime example. Not everybody wants to live like an American.

As a matter of fact yes .... yes I have. I used to be an idealist.... and hoped for a world at peace.. and NO I do not want the world to live like Americans.. I used to travel quite a bit and I love the diversity... but If your idea of living means that you want to kill everyone who does not believe as you and are incapable of living in a peacefull world.. I will be VERY HAPPY to show them the door to another world .>:(

In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner the radical islamofascists realize that and decide that perhaps peace is a more noble pursuit....then perhaps all of us can get on with making this a better world.

What he said!

By the way.. if you have been reading my posts for the last 4 fucking years you will realize that I am NOT a big Bush Fan.. and this level of incompetency and stupidity that he and the Neo-Cons have foisted on our troops and their families.. and the people of Iraq are tantamount to war crimes and should be prosecuted as such... turn all of the fuckers over to the World Court like Milosevic... and other criminals...

I supported our president after 9/11 and our going after the people who attacked us.... just as I support going after Iran.. who has REPEATEDLY attacked and killed Americans....they dont want peace.. so give the fuckers WAR.

(AP) The Iraqi Foreign Ministry continues to push for the release of five Iranians detained during a U.S. military raid in January, Iraq's Deputy Foreign Minister Labid Abawi told CNN on Tuesday.

Something about this situation is interesting. Why would Iraq give a fuck about a few terrorist Iranians?

(AP) The Iraqi Foreign Ministry continues to push for the release of five Iranians detained during a U.S. military raid in January, Iraq's Deputy Foreign Minister Labid Abawi told CNN on Tuesday.

Something about this situation is interesting. Why would Iraq give a fuck about a few terrorist Iranians?

My guess: behind the scenes, the Brits asked the US to release the Iranians. The US said {harumph!} well, we certainly don't negotiate with a terrorist regime.....but if the Iraqis were the ones who asked for it...and of course we respect Iraqi sovereignty.... hmmm.... then it wouldn't look like we're caving in ... hmmm ...... sounds like a plan...

By the way.. if you have been reading my posts for the last 4 fucking years you will realize that I am NOT a big Bush Fan..

Why not. He's one of the few who doesn't believe that a love fest is the answer to the problem.

and this level of incompetency and stupidity that he and the Neo-Cons have foisted on our troops and their families.. and the people of Iraq are tantamount to war crimes and should be prosecuted as such... turn all of the fuckers over to the World Court like Milosevic... and other criminals...

You've got to ask yourself where you would rather fight this war against islamofacism. Here or there?

Don't forget that those left wing, freedom haters want a world where borders mean nothing. With that in mind, what does it matter where we try to eliminate the insanity.

I supported our president after 9/11 and our going after the people who attacked us.... just as I support going after Iran.. who has REPEATEDLY attacked and killed Americans....they dont want peace.. so give the fuckers WAR.

As I said earlier, you are an enigma wrapped in a contradiction.

My guess: behind the scenes, the Brits asked the US to release the Iranians. The US said {harumph!} well, we certainly don't negotiate with a terrorist regime.....but if the Iraqis were the ones who asked for it...and of course we respect Iraqi sovereignty.... hmmm.... then it wouldn't look like we're caving in ... hmmm ...... sounds like a plan...

Sounds like a potential possibility.

You've got to ask yourself where you would rather fight this war against islamofacism. Here or there?

Simple Afghanistan.. you know... the place where Osama and friends attacked us from.... OH FUCK thats right they dont have any resources other than poppies and heroin.....no OIL...

Perhaps if this arrogantr... incompetent bastage would have STAYED the COURSE.. there.. we might have had LESS terrorists and most of the ill will we have now from most of the world rather than the good will we had worldwide after 9/11 that these idiots in power squandered.

AT least some people have the intelligence to go after the RIGHT enemy....not the impotent leader who was no threat to us.. rather than the clear and present danger Al Queda is and continues to be.

>You've got to ask yourself where you would rather fight this war
>against islamofacism. Here or there?

Why not Iceland? It's small and no one cares what happens over there.

Well. If all the brilliant minds could figuireu out how to turn ICE into OIL. I'm sure the multi corps would have the USA military there in a NY second;)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Simple Afghanistan.. you know... the place where Osama and friends attacked us from.... OH FUCK thats right they dont have any resources other than poppies and heroin.....no OIL...

So the whole mentality of Islamic aggression was propagated in a rocky, backward, do nothing country and if we had simply removed it from existance the whole threat would have disappeared?

Can you say" Reality check"?

Who is causing the trouble in Darfur?

How many countries live just to see the extinction of Israel?

On an aside, where is your concern for all of the women who live under the oppression of radical Islam? Free women of the world, Unite.

"On the occasion of the birthday of the great prophet (Muhammad) ... and for the occasion of the passing of Christ, I say the Islamic Republic government and the Iranian people — with all powers and legal right to put the soldiers on trial — forgave those 15," he (President Ahmadinijan)said, referring to the Muslim prophet's birthday on March 30 and the Easter holiday.

"This pardon is a gift to the British people," he said.

Thats nice B|
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

if you have been reading my posts for the last 4 fucking years you will realize that I am NOT a big Bush Fan..

Brazillian or bald?
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

LMAO:D
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

"On the occasion of the birthday of the great prophet (Muhammad) ... and for the occasion of the passing of Christ, I say the Islamic Republic government and the Iranian people — with all powers and legal right to put the soldiers on trial — forgave those 15," he said, referring to the Muslim prophet's birthday on March 30 and the Easter holiday.

Thats nice B|

Just shows the current Iranian government has no concept of justice or even simple right and wrong. This is 100% about 'face', 100% about being dominating, 100% about pissing on other cultures.

It's like a bunch of barely adolescent young boys with no clue about how to be adults.

There is nothing of reason in this response in any way, it's purely emotive, purely gratification, purely ego.

If the brits trespassed, then justice has them tried and kicked out of the country back to Britain.

If the brits were kidnapped unfairly, then Iran should fess up, apologize and move on.

This is neither.

Humans are idiots.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Just shows the current Iranian government has no concept of justice or even simple right and wrong. This is 100% about 'face', 100% about being dominating, 100% about pissing on other cultures.

The Iranians and the Brits are both guilty of making a diplomatic pigs arse of the situation. This is about as good a recovery as both sides could have made after their initial posturing.

Nobody got hurt. It's an excellent result.

but... Bjork is supremely irritating....
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

The Iranians and the Brits are both guilty of making a diplomatic pigs arse of the situation. This is about as good a recovery as both sides could have made after their initial posturing.

Nobody got hurt. It's an excellent result.

right, all everybody has to do is lie, pretend the kidnappers are all wonderful and giving, and smile and move on. Britain gets to thank them for shitting in their mouth.

At least it is so incredibly transparent that no one is fooled unless they choose to be.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

"On the occasion of the birthday of the great prophet (Muhammad) ... and for the occasion of the passing of Christ, I say the Islamic Republic government and the Iranian people — with all powers and legal right to put the soldiers on trial — forgave those 15," he (President Ahmadinijan)said, referring to the Muslim prophet's birthday on March 30 and the Easter holiday.

Thats nice B|

Nice? It's good they are coming home, but his statement is utter shit.

A 'gift'? What a fucking humanitarian.:S

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.