Richards

Police protest TV show targeting predators

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/195250

Never saw that one coming. I would have presumed they appreciated the efforts. It's too bad really, I found it oh so amusing watching the pedofools shitting their pants when they saw the cameras.

Do the cops have a valid argument on this or are they just upset that someone is pissing in their territory?
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

NBC's Dateline tagged along on a sting in TX where it is a felony just to contact someone about underage sex. In this case the person did nothing to act on the chat, they just had it. So the police go out to arrest the person (who was an assistant district attorney) and in doing so he pulls out a gun and shoots himself in the head while the TV crew was there. He died in transport so now Dateline is re-examining their "to Catch a predator" series.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

NBC's Dateline tagged along on a sting in TX where it is a felony just to contact someone about underage sex. In this case the person did nothing to act on the chat, they just had it. So the police go out to arrest the person (who was an assistant district attorney) and in doing so he pulls out a gun and shoots himself in the head while the TV crew was there. He died in transport so now Dateline is re-examining their "to Catch a predator" series.

None of you have a problem with executing someone for mere talk? How can talk be a felony?

I guess none of you ever ask your girlfriends to put on a catholic school skirt.

I guess none of you ever ask your girlfriends to put on a catholic school skirt.

Our girlfriends/wives are not under seventeen. Personally, I don't get off on the "naughty high-school girl" theme, but I imagine those that make their wives dress up like that may do it out of nostalgia for lusts felt in their high school years; trying to land that "symbol" of purity/sin.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I cannot sympathise with the man particularly since he clearly had to be aware of the law in that situation. Any situation where a person can be arrested and have their picture in the paper can result in a suicide. We cannot stop trying to enforce laws due to that. I always felt (I have no figures to back this) that these kind of sting type operations deter more people than they acually catch so the end result benefits society. I feel that the risk trade-off is worth it.

Even if he had not acted (yet) on his urges, I suspect that if he was already at the stage where he was even talking sex to minors then he was crossing a serious line, and he would most likely have arranged to meet that person.

The man dug his owngrave.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Just don't make it a habit!

BWAHAHAHAHA!!! :D:D
Get it? A ha...

...never mind.

Did you hear about the two nuns painting the room in the church nude as to not get their habits dirty? Knock at door. Who's there? It's the blind man. He's blind, let him in. Opens door. Nice tits sisters. Where do you want the blinds
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

I've watched the Dateline show a few times and IIRC the police were always involved and the perv gets arrested. It always seemed like it should be a slam-dunk case. In this article, though, it says:

A police source said W-FIVE approached several police services for their co-operation. All refused, the source said.

This indicates to me that there was no police involved and no one was arrested. I suppose the police should have gotten involved but since they didn't, I think they have a legitimate gripe. The pervs were let free and now they can destory any evidence on their computers.

--Head
--
Turn off the internet! Join Citizens United Negating Technology For Life And People's Safety!

http://www.citizensunitednegatingtechnology.org/

No! :P
Yes! :|
And..... Ain't it a great fucking idea? Watch the pedophiles, bitch about 'their rights' ! What about the 'Rights' of the poor innocent children they, victimized??
*My Inner Child is A Fucking Prick Too!
*Everyones entitled to be stupid but you are abusing the priviledge
*Well I'd love to stay & chat, But youre a total Bitch! {Stewie}

I've watched the Dateline show a few times and IIRC the police were always involved and the perv gets arrested. It always seemed like it should be a slam-dunk case. In this article, though, it says:

A police source said W-FIVE approached several police services for their co-operation. All refused, the source said.

This indicates to me that there was no police involved and no one was arrested. I suppose the police should have gotten involved but since they didn't, I think they have a legitimate gripe. The pervs were let free and now they can destory any evidence on their computers.

I was curious my self as to why the cops didn't want to cooperate. It seems that it would gift wrap them a perv.

I can see the concern with letting the guy go, although I was under the impression that even if one of these guys deleted his hard drive, there would still be a permanent trace the police could retreive. I may be wrong there.

No! :P
Yes! :|

No! Yes!No! Yes!No! Yes!No! Yes!

Watch the pedophiles, bitch about 'their rights' !

They shouldn't have any rights, but it is still fun to watch them crying and begging.

What about the 'Rights' of the poor innocent children they, victimized??

Those are the only rights that matter to me

None of you have a problem with executing someone for mere talk? How can talk be a felony?

These scumbags are targeting children online. They send pictures of themselves nude. If they are online targeting children, they have either have contacted children once before in the past or they will eventually act on their impulses. Best get them before they turn some childs childhood into a nightmare. If these guys end up shooting themselves then it is an indication that there was a deep psycological problem. They do more for society and the protection of children by killing themselves than most judges will do by just giving these people a slap on the wrist and letting them continue. Some of these guys have been caught by Dateline several times. Shame on the judges who releases them.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Only reason they are protesting...... is because it was a district attorney,,, if it was just a reg common person, they would have just said,, oh well.... next!!! bunch of BS,,, he was contacting underage kids, he was just as bad as the next bunch,, i have no respect for cops or the law when they pull that BS

That was my point!B|B|B|B|
Fucking douchebags gave up their 'Rights' when the took them away from innocent children!
*My Inner Child is A Fucking Prick Too!
*Everyones entitled to be stupid but you are abusing the priviledge
*Well I'd love to stay & chat, But youre a total Bitch! {Stewie}

I realized that. I was just reiterating it.

Fucking douchebags gave up their 'Rights' when the took them away from innocent children!

I wish everyone thought the way you do.

In this article, though, it says:

I was curious my self as to why the cops didn't want to cooperate. It seems that it would gift wrap them a perv.

It depends. The problem with letting a TV Company into this stuff is that the TV Company wants good TV, while the cops want a watertight case WITHOUT the guy getting off by some lawyer claiming entrapment or prejudice to his clients rights.

I wonder if W-FIVE has past experience doing this sort of case?.. Or are they just jumping onto a ratings bandwagon? How would this interact with local & state laws where it's being done and shown? Can the TV company be trusted not to fuck up a prosecution or not stir something up just to get the TV they want!!?

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

if tv shows want to get into the business of law enforcement, then they need to be in cooperation with a law enforcement agency. i have little doubt that "to catch a predator" has detered people from contacting children over the internet, but they get the help of local police.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

As much as pedos are the scum of teh earth, they still have basic const rights and should have them. If they don't then the ones accused by their estranged wives who want total control and falsely make these claims would be rewarded while innocent people go to jail for life. I'd rather let 9 guilty go as well as the 10th innocent than to go the other way. Sorry, I'm for the rights of the innocent,. the way the US Const was written.

if tv shows want to get into the business of law enforcement, then they need to be in cooperation with a law enforcement agency. i have little doubt that "to catch a predator" has detered people from contacting children over the internet, but they get the help of local police.

A) Deterrence is an "unproven" side effect of punishment.

B) The show has probably cut down on the # of internet predators, but they have just chosen another method; the number of pedos has probably not changed because of the show.

i can agree with your first statement, but i don't think its the punishment that deters people in this situation, its the likelyhood or percieved likelyhood of getting caught. online preditors are aware that they could be walking into a house full of cameras and have the situation shown on national tv and everyone in their life will know what is going. i believe that is the deterent.

on your second point, the number of pedophiles probably has not changed, but the number that act on their fantasies may have. the internet may the tool that is needed for a person to take the step from just thinking about it in their own home and actually seeking it out. i think with a lot of these guys though, nothing is going to stop them.

over all, i think that shows like this are doing a good thing, even if their main objective is ratings. i can imagine that many police agencies would like to have elaborate sting operations like that, but it would likely get very expensive to do. the only thing i wonder about is showing the videos before the people are convicted. reguardless of how horrible the crime is or how much evidence there is, people in the u.s. still get their due process.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

It depends. The problem with letting a TV Company into this stuff is that the TV Company wants good TV, while the cops want a watertight case WITHOUT the guy getting off by some lawyer claiming entrapment or prejudice to his clients rights.

I wonder if W-FIVE has past experience doing this sort of case?.. Or are they just jumping onto a ratings bandwagon? How would this interact with local & state laws where it's being done and shown? Can the TV company be trusted not to fuck up a prosecution or not stir something up just to get the TV they want!!?

You raise valid concerns. I guess I was just curious why the police would not then want to cooperate. Again I only have the news article to go on, but I am curious.

I really don't understand the rationale behind the "entrapment" argument. It seems like if you are not a bad guy, you will not be entrapped and if you do get entrapped then you would have done it anyway only then you would have victimised someone instead of walking into a sting. It seems that the whole entrapment argument is another version of "lets hold the system responsible for the individuals choices". I will never in my life be entrapped because i have no inclination to pursue the kind of activities that could lead me into such a trap. If entrapment gets bad guys off the street what is the big deal.

I know I have asked about entrapment before on this site but I still don't get it (I did not study law). Can you explain to me in laymens terms without all kinds of legal jargon why it is unethical to trick a guy who wishes to harm little children into thinking he has a victim so you can catch him?