lawrocket

Proposal to ban booing at sports events (And not in California)

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Quirks/20070306-125824-3486r/

"A proposal to ban booing at high school games in Washington state is being met in some quarters with boos...

"The thinking behind the proposed guidelines is to improve civility at prep sports events, the Post-Intelligencer reported.

"I don't know why people think it's acceptable to boo in the first place," WIAA Executive Director Mike Colbrese told the newspaper. "It's a pretty novel concept to me. Just because you bought a ticket you can't be irresponsible or disrespectful."

And a follow-up: http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-boos6mar06,1,951213.story?ctrack=1&cset=true

""There is no boo ban; there won't be a boo ban," said Mike Colbrese, executive director of the Washington Interscholastic Activities Assn. "That's just silly."

What already exists and will continue to do so, said Colbrese, are guidelines that define booing as one of a number of "unacceptable" behaviors, a term intended to give school administrators broad latitude to quiet — and, in extreme cases, to eject — fans who swear at the referees, taunt opposing players or engage in other obnoxious behavior.

"The idea has always been that you are trying to encourage positive spirit at these games — to be cheering for your side, not to be denigrating the other side," said Michael Bailey, athletic director at Issaquah High School in suburban Seattle..."

Okay, this shit is ridiculous. You can only cheer for yoru side at games? Oh, that's spectacular!
Booing is unacceptable behavior? Apparently, according to their "Just Play Fair" manual, so is crowd booing, foot stomping, and making negative comments about officials and participants.

This is a damned joke and a disgrace.

Edited to add: in the interest of disclosure, I'm a Raider fan. I'll bitch about the Tuck Rule and Rob Lytle's non-called fumble in 77. I'll bitch at officials, players, coaches, and stab any piss-ant Chargers fan who seeks to complaint.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Just force feed the fans Valium before the game. Problem solved.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

Just force feed the fans Valium before the game. Problem solved.

I'm sure that is coming. You might even be able to hold your breath that long.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Personally I think booing or degrading the opposition is in poor taste and wholly against the ideals of "sportsmanship".

But I object to any legislation forbidding it.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Quirks/20070306-125824-3486r/

"A proposal to ban booing at high school games in Washington state is being met in some quarters with boos...

"The thinking behind the proposed guidelines is to improve civility at prep sports events, the Post-Intelligencer reported.

"I don't know why people think it's acceptable to boo in the first place," WIAA Executive Director Mike Colbrese told the newspaper. "It's a pretty novel concept to me. Just because you bought a ticket you can't be irresponsible or disrespectful."

And a follow-up: http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-boos6mar06,1,951213.story?ctrack=1&cset=true

""There is no boo ban; there won't be a boo ban," said Mike Colbrese, executive director of the Washington Interscholastic Activities Assn. "That's just silly."

What already exists and will continue to do so, said Colbrese, are guidelines that define booing as one of a number of "unacceptable" behaviors, a term intended to give school administrators broad latitude to quiet — and, in extreme cases, to eject — fans who swear at the referees, taunt opposing players or engage in other obnoxious behavior.

"The idea has always been that you are trying to encourage positive spirit at these games — to be cheering for your side, not to be denigrating the other side," said Michael Bailey, athletic director at Issaquah High School in suburban Seattle..."

Okay, this shit is ridiculous. You can only cheer for yoru side at games? Oh, that's spectacular!
Booing is unacceptable behavior? Apparently, according to their "Just Play Fair" manual, so is crowd booing, foot stomping, and making negative comments about officials and participants.

This is a damned joke and a disgrace.

Edited to add: in the interest of disclosure, I'm a Raider fan. I'll bitch about the Tuck Rule and Rob Lytle's non-called fumble in 77. I'll bitch at officials, players, coaches, and stab any piss-ant Chargers fan who seeks to complaint.

You see NO difference between appropriate behavior at a Pro sports event and a high school game?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

We now have another definition for nanosecond; the time it would take to go to court and be overturned in violation of the First Amendment.

Going to a school sports event is optional. If you want to demonstrate ill mannered behavior, do it somewhere other than a school.

My problem is that cheering for your team may also be viewed as degrading. When you cheer that running back who ran for 500 yards and 7 touchdowns in one game, isn't that just twisting the knife?

I agree that things can be taken too far (and I'm a Raiders fan). I believe there is a difference between booing, mocking, etc., and throwing foreign objects on the field or at players.

But, as far as showing "sportmanship," they are spectators, not sportsmen. Spectators are not subject to the same rules. I cannot expect a "spectator" to be a "good sportsman" - only that the spectator work within certain standards, among them is to avoid criminal acts.

Somewhere recently I heard someone suggest that legislators should be fined every time a bill they voted for is overturned on constitutional grounds.

Was it on this forum?

I'm starting to think it's a really good idea.
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

Going to a school sports event is optional. If you want to demonstrate ill mannered behavior, do it somewhere other than a school.

John, just about everything in life is optional. That's hardly the basis for a Constitutional argument.

I will -gladly- suffer the taunts and jeers of the uncouth sitting in the bleachers across the field if it means I can retain my right to protest under the First Amendment.

Come on man . . . sticks and stones.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I think there is a huge difference between chearing in positive suport of a team, and booing the opposition.

No offence intended to you, but Raiders fans suck. I've never been in more fear of bodily injury at an event than at a KC/Raiders game in the late 90's, and I've seen Fugazi live (from the pit).
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

You see NO difference between appropriate behavior at a Pro sports event and a high school game?

Sure I do. For example, I can see excluding consumption of alcohol from high school sporting events - I see no need to have a beer concession outside of the school gymnasium.

But with regards to booing, cheering, taunting, and even suggesting that officials perform sexual acts upon themselves that require great flexibility, I do not see a problem with it.

Spectators go to see sporting events so that they can be entertained. Different sports even require different spectator etiquette, i.e., shut up when a golfer is lining up, shout "ole" to encourage the bullfighter and rile the bull, or eat cucumber sandwiches at a cricket match.

Btu let people have their fun, so long as they don't pull thuggery.

"Btu let people have their fun, so long as they don't pull thuggery."

There you go again pissing off our soccer loving British cousins.

Good God man, have you no respect?
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

Personally I think booing or degrading the opposition is in poor taste and wholly against the ideals of "sportsmanship".

Might wanna avoid soccer games then.:|

G. Jones

"I've never been quarantined. But the more I look around, the more I think it might not be a bad idea."

Ok, I referee HS soccer and high level club soccer. My observations- some crowds cheer their teams on with the occasional crap from the peanut gallery, acceptable. Some crowds get obnoxious and that attitude influences player behavior on the pitch, entirely unacceptable. Ditto for the coaching staffs of the respective teams. What do I do about these situations? In case 1, watch player behavior, if the game is unaffected, play on. In case 2, watch player behavior, if it is influenced, eject any and all engaged in the negative activity. I don't care who, fans, coaches, players, or parents.

Sportsmanship is one thing that needs to be taught to kids. Bad behavior by parents or coaches serves to reinforce bad behavior on the pitch. I'd rather toss an adult and let the kid play than toss the kid because of an a$$whole parent or coach screaming bad advice or urging retaliation for a perceived foul.

Second, player safety and fair enforcement of the laws of the game are paramount. I could care less who wins. Calls are sometimes "blown" but it is rare. Spectators and coaches need to realize that they are usually 30+ yards from the play and don't have my perspective from less than 15 and I nearly always have a much better angle. Furthermore, don't even think of contesting an offside call. The AR is usually dead on that one from the perfect perspective. You cannot make that call from 40 yards behind the play.

Finally, 1st Am goes out the window at a match when your exercising that right changes player behavior to endanger somebody else on the pitch. The $4 spent bought admission and viewing privileges, not an a$$hat license to incite violence on field. If poor behavior incites the crowd to have at each other, then law enforcement gets involved, I halt the match and leave. The game is over and the coaches are responsible for the safety of their players and staff.

I really don't care if somebody wants to boo at a game, it's just part of the crowd experience. Harassment of players, coaches or referees in hs or club soccer will not be tolerated because it frequently leads to physical violence at some point. I view a match to be successful if two criteria are met- 1) nobody goes to the emergency room over something stupid and preventable and 2) the laws are fairly and equally enforced. The score is what it is.

Manchester United song (one of many)

Tune: Oh my darling Clementine
Build a bonfire,
Build a bonfire,
Put the Scousers on the top,
Put City in the middle,
And we'll burn the f*cking lot

Man United is probably a pro team, though Man City fans (well any non United fan) would probably argue otherwise.

If you want to demonstrate ill mannered behavior, do it somewhere other than a school.

So your school gets a lot of ass kickings I'm guessing.

We're an engineering school. NO FOOTBALL TEAM.

If you want to demonstrate ill mannered behavior, do it somewhere other than a school.

Georgia Tech...
Virginia Tech...
Texas Tech...

Does your school even have an athletic program?

Finally, 1st Am goes out the window at a match when your exercising that right changes player behavior to endanger somebody else on the pitch.

that's a scary comment on first blush-

the spectator is responsible for the heckling. If he personally crosses the line and start physical threats like throwing things, or pushing other spectators, then that's NOT 1st amendment, it's something already illegal - you don't have to "throw the 1st out the window" - it's crossed the line and isn't a 1st issue.

the spectator is NOT responsible if the player CHOOSES to engage in bad behavior due to taunting - the player is responsible for the player's actions

there are already laws against physical violence, and instigation of violence. No need for a 'feel good' law. I see you agree there.

I think booing and the other stuff is a crappy, tasteless, low class thing to do.

But a law against it? dumb

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Georgia Tech...
Virginia Tech...
Texas Tech...

What do Georgia Tech, etc., have to do with whether my school "gets a lot of ass kickings"?

What do Georgia Tech, etc., have to do with whether my school "gets a lot of ass kickings"?

I assume the ass kickings are due to the pocket protectors and social awkwardness more than some random other school.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants