waltappel

Saudi rape victim sentenced

I'm not quite sure what to say about this other than it makes me wonder what the hell we are doing dealing with the Saudis.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,256980,00.html

Saudi Kidnap, Rape Victim Faces Lashing for 'Crime' of Being Alone With Man Not Related to Her
Tuesday, March 06, 2007

A 19-year-old Saudi woman who was kidnapped, beaten and gang raped by seven men who then took photos of their victim and threatened to kill her, was sentenced under the country's Islamic-based law to 90 lashes for the "crime" of being alone with a man not related to her.

The woman is appealing to Saudi King Abdullah to intervene in the controversial case.

"I ask the king to consider me as one of his own daughters and have mercy on me and set me free from the 90 lashes," the woman said in an emotional interview published Monday in the Saudi Gazette.

"I was shocked at the verdict. I couldn't believe my ears. Ninety lashes! Ninety lashes!" the woman, identified only as "G," told the English-language newspaper.

Five months after the harsh judgment, her sentence has yet to be carried out, "G" said she waits in fear every day for the phone call telling her to submit to authorities to carry out her punishment.

Lashes are usually spread over several days. About 50 lashes are given at a time.

The woman's ordeal began a year ago when she was blackmailed into meeting a man who threatened to tell her family they were having a relationship outside wedlock, which is illegal in the desert kingdom, according to a report in The Scotsman newspaper.

She met the man at a shopping mall and, after driving off together, the blackmailer's car was stopped by two other cars bearing men wielding knives and meat cleavers.

During the next three hours, the woman was raped 14 times by her seven captors.

One of the men took pictures of her naked with his mobile phone and threatened to blackmail her with them.

Back at home in a town near the eastern city of Qatif, the young woman did not tell her family of her ordeal. Nor did she inform the authorities, fearing the rapist would circulate the pictures of her naked. She also attempted suicide.

Five of the rapists were arrested and given jail terms ranging from 10 months to five years. The prosecutor had asked for the death penalty for the men.

The Saudi justice ministry, however, said rape could not be proved because there were no witnesses and the men had recanted confessions they made during interrogation.

The judges, basing their decision on Islamic law, also decided to sentence the woman and her original blackmailer to lashes for being alone together in his car.

The Saudi Gazette and The Scotsman contributed to this report.

Walt

It makes more of an argument that we are correct in opposing radical islam

In opposing any radicals, no matter which religion they come from.

Want to be ruled by fundies who'd try and impose old testament law?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

The right thing to do would be to cut all economic ties...but I won't hold my breath.

The judge who sentenced her, the thugs that raped her and whoever else was involved in this atrocity should be whipped until they die of shock and bloodloss.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

>Hey Bill I bet her punishment would come to a screeching halt when the
>person doling out the lashes gets blown in half from over 2300 meters
>away.

>Too bad that won't happen huh?

If it did happen, we'd denounce the cowardly terrorists. If it happened often enough (and threatened our oil) we'd be sending US troops to defend that flogger.

That wasn't funny:|

Not meaning to pick on you ok?

I guess I cannot get too excited over this....I think the real crime is the Mall......I guess they mean shopping Mall..........we get their oil, and they get......Malls.:|

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

I'm no expert, but rape of any sort leaves a woman with emotional wounds so deep they take years to just heal over - Those I know personally who have experienced a rape still seek professional counseling years and years after the incident, and the damage done is almost visible.

I think that a judge could sentence the victim to 90 lashings is barbaric- and IMHO, the problem seems to be that for whatever reason (probably religious) these people still can't get it through their minds that women are human beings and not objects.

If this incident is reflective of what the Saudi's stand for, I hope the entire country goes to hell -
=========Shaun ==========

I'm no expert, but rape of any sort leaves a woman with emotional wounds so deep they take years to just heal over - Those I know personally who have experienced a rape still seek professional counseling years and years after the incident, and the damage done is almost visible.

I think that a judge could sentence the victim to 90 lashings is barbaric- and IMHO, the problem seems to be that for whatever reason (probably religious) these people still can't get it through their minds that women are human beings and not objects.

If this incident is reflective of what the Saudi's stand for, I hope the entire country goes to hell -

hear hear
2 BITS....4 BITS....6 BITS....A DOLLAR!....ALL FOR THE GATORS....STAND UP AND HOLLER!!!!

What asses! >:(

May the fleas of a 1,000,000,000,000 camels infest their crotches and may they never reach their "heaven" should they be stupid enough to carry out this sentence.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

I wonder if a rape victim in America who happened to be found with a few pounds of marijuana in her backpack would still be charged for possession.

It's a separate crime and unrelated to the rape, why shouldn't she? Now, (hypothetically) it would be really crappy to immediately punish her for her crime prior to working the more serious crime that was committed against her. hypothetically.

hypothetically, they could deal with the rape, and then punish her later for her crime once she's better composed.

hypothetically. That wouldn't happen in real life.[:/]

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Oh wait. They are our friends, were best buddies not a big deal. We might decide to attack them when we have more of an interest in that country. You should keep this article we can use it as an excuse sometime in the future. It will make a great story when we invade to spread more democracy in the world.[:/]
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

That's exactly my point. There are a lot of people in this thread condemning another society for its laws. Granted, it's true that their law is ridiculous by our standards, but before we go casting them down to hell, let's take a good long look at ourselves. Pot, meet kettle.

That's exactly my point.

no it's not

you want to turn this into another pot thread

(kidding, I got your point, though another round of "WHO AM I to judge another society" is nuts, that girl is being seriously mistreated by any standard)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

That's exactly my point. There are a lot of people in this thread condemning another society for its laws. Granted, it's true that their law is ridiculous by our standards, but before we go casting them down to hell, let's take a good long look at ourselves. Pot, meet kettle.

Bulls**t. Their law is ridiculous by any standards.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Living in Saudi Arabia myself right now I am not surprised one bit by this article. A friend I work with was recently invited to go see a beheading, and another guy I work with actually went to one several years ago, I wouldn't ever want to see that, but apparently the Saudi's that go to it love the shit.
We die only once, but for such a very long time.

I'll believe in ghosts when I catch one in my teeth.